PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mandatory Mini Camp Practice- 6/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Can someone clarify something for me? Are signing bonuses paid at the start of the contract or broken up into yearly payments? I was under the impression that signing bonuses are paid at the start of the contract but the cap hit is spread out over the life of the contract. If that's true the $3.6 MM signing bonus proration was already paid to Gillmore and shouldn't be counted in how much he's making this year.

In other words, you shouldn't count what someone previously made in discussing how much they are making this year.

Can someone clarify something for me? Are signing bonuses paid at the start of the contract or broken up into yearly payments? I was under the impression that signing bonuses are paid at the start of the contract but the cap hit is spread out over the life of the contract. If that's true the $3.6 MM signing bonus proration was already paid to Gillmore and shouldn't be counted in how much he's making this year.

In other words, you shouldn't count what someone previously made in discussing how much they are making this year.
Yeah, I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today. It all works out if you show up on Tuesday.

but you have to count it in for, thats basically the contract you signed for, 65M/5years with 40M guaranteed this means you get the signing bonus paid out before you even step a foot on the field, its not less money or something, you got your money already earlier onto your bank account

its not about how much he is making this year, its how much he made during this period he signed the contract for, you can't neglect that you actually received something like 40 M first year but cry that at the end of your contract you get only 7M in the last year? no one cried about geting the signing XXM bonus first year, aren't they?

Idk if Mac can compete with cam after this pass

denzel washington cringe GIF

Yes you should count it.

The signing bonus was paid to him assuming he would play.

Imagine you hire someone to do some work on your house for a week. He asks to be paid upfront and you agree. Then after 4 days he decides to stop working unless you pay him more money because he doesn't want to work for free.

Thats Gilmore's logic. Except that "for free" is actually $7m.

o_O

Usually the signing bonus is paid entirely upon signing, and I believe that was the case with Gilmore. Sometimes the really large signing bonuses will be partially deferred for cash flow purposes. For example, I know Brady's 2016 extension included half of the signing bonus due immediately and the other half due a year later.

Some are paid up front. Some are installments. All depends on the structure of the deal. IIRC a couple of TB12 deals here were on a layaway plan.
No question. Agree. Any compensation discussion should be predicated on their value as of this moment and any reasonable projections factored in.

If Gilly intended on going to the mattresses he should have done it at the end of 2019 when he was 29 and DPOY and not "settle" for $5m.

Now hes almost 31, coming off by his standards a down-year which he had a soft-tissue injury (which happens more as you get older).

During a press conference on Monday, Stidham said it fired him up when the organization drafted Jones in April, adding he’s fired up to compete with the rookie, Newton, and Hoyer.

My goal is to be the quarterback here and to start football games for a really long time in this league,” Stidham said, via Zack Cox of NESN. “The mindset of that has never changed and never will change.”

Jarrett Stidham: My goal is to be the starting quarterback in New England - ProFootballTalk

I love reading these reports, but I'm not feeling this manufactured drama around Gilmore. The guy hasn't shown an ounce of diva and is coming off an injury. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and wait until at least August before any concern.

I was feeling the same way too, until this:

Edit: It's official, Gilmore ain't showing because of contract dispute ( Karen G reporting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back