PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mandatory Mini Camp Practice- 6/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per Reiss on his thoughts of 3 Patriots who have made significant improvements from last year:

Second-year tight end Devin Asiasi looks like a different player, and he is one of several Patriots who stand out when considering the benefits of spring practices for younger players. Wide receiver Isaiah Zuber and Uche are among the others who fall into that category.

Asiasi will be a contributor for us this year and I think will surprise fans. Uche should be a big part of a really good defense and Zuber might be neck and neck with Harry for the final WR spot on the roster.

Last edited:
Per Reiss on his thoughts of 3 Patriots who have significant improvements from last year:

Second-year tight end Devin Asiasi looks like a different player, and he is one of several Patriots who stand out when considering the benefits of spring practices for younger players. Wide receiver Isaiah Zuber and Uche are among the others who fall into that category.

Asiasi will be a contributor for us this year and I think will surprise fans. Uche should be a big part of a really good defense and Zuber might be neck and neck with Harry for the final WR spot on the roster.
If he earns a spot on an NFL roster they need to keep him as the 3rd TE.

The reality is Double H has missed a few games the last 2 years and if they want to run a 2TE offense, they'll need him.

Zuber might be neck and neck with Harry for the final WR spot on the roster.

Combining reports of Zuber's progress with old rumors of a Harry trade, and my predictions are Harry gets moved, Zuber is your depth WR (who may be inactive some weeks depending on gameplan) and Tre Nixon is on the PS. This is all barring injuries to the top guys.

On two things:
  • The Gilmore contract situ in specific
  • Diatribes about philosophy of players "outperforming" their contract
No kidding. I can't stand that argument.

He's made $56.7m in cash or $14m a year w/ NE but he has outperformed his deal? How? Quite frankly, hes almost 31 and coming off a year in which he was injured.

If a player wants to hold out and make the effort to be paid market then that is their right to do so.

The team is better with him but I don't see the need to pay him far beyond what he is slated to make now.

He's made $56.7m in cash or $14m a year w/ NE but he has outperformed his deal? How? Quite frankly, hes almost 31 and coming off a year in which he was injured.

If a player wants to hold out and make the effort to be paid market then that is their right to do so.

The team is better with him but I don't see the need to pay him far beyond what he is slated to make now.

I think it comes down to this being the only real leverage that players have over teams. Logically, if you pay a guy $14m per year, but it's front loaded, he's not "underpaid" when there's only $7m left to pay in the last year. But given how weak player contracts are in the NFL (compared to something like MLB where they're all guaranteed), players want to maximize their earnings before they're forced to retire, and this is basically their only avenue to do so: Get a big bonus up front, hold out at the end. Sucks, but that's the game it seems.

Gilmore for Gallup or Anthony Miller makes some sense.
A receiver with a high ceiling without killing our cap.
That would give us a WR group of Agholar, Bourne, Gunner, Meyers, Miller or Gallup.
Trade Harry for a conditional fifth that could turn to a fourth.

That would give us a WR group of Agholar, Bourne, Gunner, Meyers, Miller or Gallup.
That would be a huge blow to the secondary, which is a big plus at this moment.

I think it comes down to this being the only real leverage that players have over teams. Logically, if you pay a guy $14m per year, but it's front loaded, he's not "underpaid" when there's only $7m left to pay in the last year. But given how weak player contracts are in the NFL (compared to something like MLB where they're all guaranteed), players want to maximize their earnings before they're forced to retire, and this is basically their only avenue to do so: Get a big bonus up front, hold out at the end. Sucks, but that's the game it seems.
Yep. I have no ill-will towards Gilly or any player holding out for more $.

These players risk life in limb to play on Sundays and are paid handsomely to do so. Some of them suffer debilitating injuries and are looking at being in a wheelchair or worse by the time they are 60 and medical bills add up.

I just hate it when these player-advocates media idiots like Giardi opine for players who are on the wrong side of 30, are coming off an underperforming year, injured but say they outperformed their deal.

I understand the thought process Chris. My only concern with trading Gilmore and not getting another cb in return would be that we go from a position of strength, to one that has no depth and questions at the number 2 cb position(presuming that JC moves to number 1).
We potentially could bring in a f/a cb (Shermon, Dre) but that is a significant downgrade from what we have currently.

Is he even healthy yet? I've heard nothing about how his rehab is going from the torn quad that ended his season last year.

Agreed. But creating a contract dispute gets more clicks. BB has an offer on the table to Dre Kirkpatrick (we know this), and Gilmore and JC are in their last year. We also have about $14M in cap space. So something is probably going to happen in the next month with the Patriots' CB contracts. In the meantime Gilmore can get healthy.

I don't think we are there- yet.

If Gilly is forcing a trade then i'm all for getting the most they can for him.

I believe they have had conversations and they are far apart.

I'm curious to know what Gilly wants and what the NEP have offered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes