PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mandatory Mini Camp Practice- 6/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes you should count it.

The signing bonus was paid to him assuming he would play.

Imagine you hire someone to do some work on your house for a week. He asks to be paid upfront and you agree. Then after 4 days he decides to stop working unless you pay him more money because he doesn't want to work for free.

Thats Gilmore's logic. Except that "for free" is actually $7m.

o_O

I like your analogy but I don't think it works based on the time frame because his contract is over multiple years.

To me, this situation is more like you pay someone to build an extension on your house. You pay him/her an upfront fee to start then the rest of the balance next year when the project is finished. You wouldn't claim that you paid the upfront fee in the second year, in the same way I wouldn't claim Gillmore got paid money this season that was actually paid to him several seasons ago.

I'm all for football players using whatever leverage they can to make more money, since their contracts are less generous than those of any of the other major sports. I don't see it as Gillmore doing something wrong to the team or the fans. My experience is that people make as much as they are able to negotiate, so I can't blame him for negotiating for more money. I also, expect him to get more money since the team has about $10MM more in cap space than they typically carry into a season.

Granted, I know I'm in the absolute minority on this topic when it comes to this forum so I'm going to agree to disagree and keep it moving.

Man those Cam throws were awful, it's wild that he's survived this long in the NFL without being able to put nice touch on the ball.

Last edited:
I'd do a 3 year deal with Gilmore and be fine if he only played 2 more years

Idk if Mac can compete with cam after this pass

tenor.gif

It could go either way, but I’m guessing BB would entertain offers - especially if a team is willing to dangle real value.
If traded there will be $8.5m in dead money and a recovered $7.7m in cap space.

The goal is to keep him but holding out is a game of chicken.

I was under the impression that signing bonuses are paid at the start of the contract but the cap hit is spread out over the life of the contract. If that's true the $3.6 MM signing bonus proration was already paid to Gillmore and shouldn't be counted in how much he's making this year.

In other words, you shouldn't count what someone previously made in discussing how much they are making this year.
Imagine that you found your ideal apartment. Many tenents were lining up to rent it, and the cost was $1000 a month, 12K a year

You want it REALLY badly, so you tell the landlord that you will sign a one year lease and will pay him 6K up front and then $500 a month, so still 12K a year, but he gets the money sooner.

He takes your 6K and banks it. 6 months later he comes and complains that $500 a month is too low for rent, and he wants more.

Would that be fair?

Can someone clarify something for me? Are signing bonuses paid at the start of the contract or broken up into yearly payments? I was under the impression that signing bonuses are paid at the start of the contract but the cap hit is spread out over the life of the contract. If that's true the $3.6 MM signing bonus proration was already paid to Gillmore and shouldn't be counted in how much he's making this year.
In theory, it is supposed to be paid immediately. In practice, it is often paid out over time; this is why the Patriots were able to get salary cap relief for TE Who Must Not Be Named.

In other words, you shouldn't count what someone previously made in discussing how much they are making this year.
It depends on what question you're asking. For example, if you're asking how much new money he's getting this year? No, don't count it. If you're asking if he's overpaid/underpaid? Yes, count it, IMO

He pushes the ball out of his hand; there's no flick of the wrist to his throws at all...

Really inexcusable at this stage of his career, but he is who he is now...
Maybe his hand is more injured that they are letting on....but I doubt it.

If so there is no need for him to be out there. Should rest it.

Maybe his hand is more injured that they are letting on....but I doubt it.

If so there is no need for him to be out there. Should rest it.

Yeah, he's not gonna lose the job this week...But man he really needs to hit the ground running next month...

He pushes the ball out of his hand; there's no flick of the wrist to his throws at all...

Really inexcusable at this stage of his career, but he is who he is now...
Those legs are done. Everything else, as far as his mechanics go, is secondary. That’s where his problems are starting and the shoulder isn’t making life any easier for him. I’d honestly be shocked if Mac isn’t the Week 1 starter.

I hope you're right, since Mac taking the starting job would make it hard for Cam to have double digit passing tds.
of course it's still early but from the short videos we are able to see, Newton doesn't look like he improved his flaws from last season much, that's why i think the chances of Jones starting are higher than i expected before OTA

Smith tweaked his hammy today so both our FA TEs are hurt.

If Bill actually starts Cam this season, he should be fired. Can't. Throw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST