PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mandatory Mini Camp Practice- 6/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry GIF

A 3 yr deal is freaking stupid for a soon-to-be 31 year old CB coming off an injury year.

Leave it to Volin to come up with that one.

Trolin' (& to a somewhat lesser extent his former glob partner Giardi) is such duplicitous pond scum.

Gilmore has quite literally No leg upon which to stand...He has been paid Every ****ing Penny of the contract on whose line which is dotted he signed.

It's for possible situations as this that I found Bill's unwillingness to bolster the CB position outside of grossly over-paying part-time CB/FS Jalen Mills so ****ing bizarre...Then he drafts a ****ing UDFA-talent ****ing Safety when there were still a couple of CBs with potential still available...

Last edited:
Gilmore is going to wisely play this to the end. He knows it's his last shot at a ton of money, if history is any indication.

He'll take the 90K+ in fines for that chance. Can't blame him. That said, the Pats have little reason to move on this. They'll probably flip him some extra cash for this year and then let him test the market. Just read a piece that says no one really wants to trade for a 31-yr-old CB who wants a big deal and was hurt last year.

Confident it'll resolve itself.

Gilly definitely doesn't have much "built-in" leverage in terms of contract but his skill set is still top tier/elite and more importantly ... There's only 4-5 guys in the league on his level, that can carry players across the field. Just not many of those guys around. Having one guy to cover an opposing teams WR1 is very much a luxury.

I could see one of the NFCW teams take a shot at him. Those defenses could hit another level with him on it.

No kidding. I can't stand that argument.

He's made $56.7m in cash or $14m a year w/ NE but he has outperformed his deal? How? Quite frankly, hes almost 31 and coming off a year in which he was injured.

If a player wants to hold out and make the effort to be paid market then that is their right to do so.

The team is better with him but I don't see the need to pay him far beyond what he is slated to make now.
Like it or not, his DPOTY selection immediately elevated his value.
An argument can be made the best NFL defender deserves the highest value
Yet even with his salary bump last season, Gilmore was only the 61st highest paid defender in the NFL in 2020.
NFL Salary Rankings | Spotrac
This year....57th

Edit: It's official, Gilmore ain't showing because of contract dispute ( Karen G reporting)

I love reading these reports, but I'm not feeling this manufactured drama around Gilmore. The guy hasn't shown an ounce of diva and is coming off an injury. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and wait until at least August before any concern.

Like it or not, his DPOTY selection immediately elevated his value.
An argument can be made the best NFL defender deserves the highest value
Yet even with his salary bump last season, Gilmore was only the 61st highest paid defender in the NFL in 2020.
NFL Salary Rankings | Spotrac
This year....57th

Edit: It's official, Gilmore ain't showing because of contract dispute ( Karen G reporting)
So did they overpay in 2017 when his play the first 8 or so games was so-so?

He earned every penny in 2018 and 2019.

His play in 2020 lowered his value as well as his injury and age.

The Patriots can play this game too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back