PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones working out with Nic Shimonek on his strength and conditioning

Strength and conditioning work for him is more than fine, but he needs a “grow the hell up and learn to be a leader” coach even more. I will give him this: he never stopped working on improving at Alabama so I have hope.

I‘m hoping that Strange and Thornton have also begun the strength work they need so much. And get some conditioning and a “how to be a center“ instruction to Chasen Hines.

Strength and conditioning work for him is more than fine, but he needs a “grow the hell up and learn to be a leader” coach even more. I will give him this: he never stopped working on improving at Alabama so I have hope.

I‘m hoping that Strange and Thornton have also begun the strength work they need so much. And get some conditioning and a “how to be a center“ instruction to Chasen Hines.
Thornton needs to show the jump else he risks being traded to some lower tier team. Can't waste snaps on a rookie receiver who cannot show improvement . We will have a wr who will be taken in first 4 rounds.

There are no excuses for Thornton not putting on some muscle in the offseason. Watching Sauce launch him in the air on that drag route was a clear indication he needs to put on some size. He's already shown he's pretty strong, he just needs to eat.

I expect at least 10 pounds.

Of course it's OK to critique Mac and of course he had a bad year, should not get a free pass, etc. But you also must acknowledge that flaws in mechanics and what appear to be unilaterally poor decisions under pressure often can be directly attributable to elements beyond the quarterback's control, re. systematic protection breakdowns and timing issues off poor play design/execution. The differences between cause and effect ("system" vs. "player") can be difficult to discern, which is why a broader view as outside observers is prudent. My rule of thumb re. assessing Mac is to largely disregard last season and expect refinement under BOB on the promise he showed his rookie year. That would mean being better than the 13th-ranked QB he was in 2021 leading a top-10 offense. If that doesn't happen he likely is not "the guy."

If i recall Mac was decent against the blittz in his first year and one of the worst in his second. Whilst he isn't absolvable of blame a player in a bad spot behind a bad line with bad coaching in only his second year is likely that his fundamentals like mechanics etc will diminish as he gets sped up. Sure it shouldn't happen but players aren't robots. Brady looked poor in 2019 and a shadow of himself in a poor offense but with decent coaching. The next year in Tampa he looked great. Context is important and it's not being an apologist. Very few qbs will play in a situation that was as bad as last year.

You are acting like things like decision making, mechanics etc. Are mutually exclusive from bad coaching. And somehow we are supposed to expect a 2nd year QB to transcend that when he isn't getting proper coaching on mechanics etc. In a poorly designed offense. The head rots from the core. He looked pretty good at those things with McDaniels so I'm not sure what you are even saying.
They are all related. No one is saying Mac had a great year all people are saying is the dysfunction in the coaching was SOOO bad to judge a 2nd year QB based on it is just dumb.

I'm not sure how people can still hold onto the notion of "Mac regressed all on his own it's his fault!" After hearing how bad the coaching and playcalling was. It was worse than Jets level bad.

Now that he has a REAL OC who will be coaching plays and him personally the clock starts
I wanted to address these post collectively bc they're all a little similar but don't want to words in anyone's mouth. I don't appreciate it when it's done to me and won't here.

Specifically want to address the idea or thought that Patricia should be helping Mac with his mechanics. Or his mechanics in general.

All coordinators arent built the same, as we well know. But in all seriousness all OC arent necessarily there for that. Once and a while you'll get goods ones that might specialize in that. Or the run game. Or OL play. They can help from experience but not all will be able to help in that particular space.

That's much more on the QB and whoever he finds useful. It might be House. It might be Mike McCarthy and Tom Clements (former QB coach - both helped AR a lot with his mechanics). So it could come from in-house or outside the building.

We all agree that Patricia and Judge were in over there heads and were a failure. And yes poorer situations can highlight or expose flaws but Mac's footwork or release point for example were inconsistent in both good & bad situations if we're being honest. His two feet would touch dropping back at times. Which will lead to inconsistent marks when he sets up. His release point has been inconvenient since college - something I've mention quite a bit actually.

Yes absolutely he's still a younger QB, working on his craft. Things like that will happen. It's definitely not all on Mac and Patricia was a donkey but some of these things predate Patricia if we're being objective/honest.

I don't look at it as piling on Mac or being a "hater." It's just being honest with ourselves. Who we have as a QB and what we need to do to really maximize his strengths. I think he could be really good but needs it all to work. He won't elevate average talent. Needs a top tier OL. Hand held on offense but that's most of the league. That's ok.

I'm hoping we do just that bc Bill Jr, Mayo & co did a great job on defense last year. We have several above average - right below top tier guys (Dugger, Judon, Uche are all right below the top top tier but top 10 or near there in Uche's case - Phillips, Barmore etc) So if a time we're it's hard for defense to translate we have parts.

I'm sure Mac will be working with House or someone. Working on his body. And other stuff so I'm encouraged by his competitiveness and passion for sure.

Don't tell Tom. He will be mad that he wasted a lot of time working on his strength and technique for nothing.
What strength and conditioning did he change after 1 year out of college?

Why do you want Jones to fail so badly? I've never seen someone feel so strongly about wanting a guy to fail
I want to see BB win a Super Bowl without Brady before its too late.

What strength and conditioning did he change after 1 year out of college?
I am not sure that you are serious. TB12 is legendary for his focus on always getting better and clearly improved to become an all time talent by 2007. Off the top of my head he worked with Tom House for several years after joining the Pats, had the reputation of being the first one in the weight room, made a concentrated effort to improve his foot work during the non championship period and sold his soul to the freakshow known as Alex Guerrero.

The facts that TB12 was not a finished product straight out of college and that Mac has demonstrated that he is committed to improve does not take anything away from TB12 and his achievements. Even if Mac's hard work allows him to be a good NFL QB TB12 will always be the GOAT. Mac is the best hope for the team to be good next year. Investing in another QB will take resources away from other needs.

Last edited:
I am not sure that you are serious. TB12 is legendary for his focus on always getting better and clearly improved to become an all time talent by 2007. Off the top of my head he worked with Tom House for several years after joining the Pats, had the reputation of being the first one in the weight room, made a concentrated effort to improve his foot work during the non championship period and sold his soul to the freakshow known as Alex Guerrero.

The facts that TB12 was not a finished product straight out of college and that Mac has demonstrated that he is committed to improve does not take anything away from TB12 and his achievements. Even if Mac's hard work allows him to be a good NFL QB TB12 will always be the GOAT. Mac is the best hope for the team to be good next year. Investing in another QB will take resources away from other needs.

Even when he's serious, Triumph (a/k/a the clodhopper, a/k/a flatland hillbilly) should not be taken seriously. :whistle:

Remember when the Jones haters claimed Judon joking about Jones only passing three times was proof that Judon didn't have confidence in Jones?

Remember when these same haters said Trent Brown liking a comment on Twitter was proof that he hated Mac Jones?

Remember when the Jones haters claimed Judon joking about Jones only passing three times was proof that Judon didn't have confidence in Jones?

“And we’re going to see, because we know what type of player he can be. We saw it at the collegiate level, high school level, and we saw it at a pro level. And so that’s what we need. He knows that. And we’re going to be backing him just as long as he’s our quarterback. As long as he’s on the team, we’re going to be backing him. And I don’t plan that he’s going anywhere anytime soon.”

Hardly a resounding endorsement. What else is he supposed to say?

tony-romo-terrell-owens.gif

“And we’re going to see, because we know what type of player he can be. We saw it at the collegiate level, high school level, and we saw it at a pro level. And so that’s what we need. He knows that. And we’re going to be backing him just as long as he’s our quarterback. As long as he’s on the team, we’re going to be backing him. And I don’t plan that he’s going anywhere anytime soon.”

View attachment 49746

Did you even read the quote you posted or desperately trying to spin it into a lukewarm endorsement at best? Read the last sentence of the quote you posted:

And I don’t plan that he’s going anywhere anytime soon.

He will back Jones as long as he is the Patriots QB which he expects will be for many years. Sounds like he thinks Jones is a franchise QB.

And what any player feels behind the scenes, but these comments are no less valid than a silly joke or a like on social media.

Did you even read the quote you posted or desperately trying to spin it into a lukewarm endorsement at best? Read the last sentence of the quote you posted:

He will back Jones as long as he is the Patriots QB which he expects will be for many years. Sounds like he thinks Jones is a franchise QB.
What he is supposed to say ? Our quarterback sucks?

All that shows is that Judon doesn’t really care about winning. I bet he likes Mac. With him at QB that means the D is more on the fields which is more opportunity for him to get sacks.

View attachment 49746

You are trying too hard. Again. If Mac plays well this coming season you're going to have an identity crisis and will need to find a whole new sense of purpose.

What he is supposed to say ? Our quarterback sucks?

All that shows is that Judon doesn’t really care about winning. I bet he likes Mac. With him at QB that means the D is more on the fields which is more opportunity for him to get sacks.

LOL! Judon doesn't care about winning. Too funny.

But hey, Hunter Henry liked a post from someone who said that they went to McDonalds and their Big Mac was gross. So that means Henry clearly thinks Mac Jones sucks. Let's go with that too.

And what any player feels behind the scenes, but these comments are no less valid than a silly joke or a like on social media.
Judon playing GM again? Shocking.

Judon playing GM again? Shocking.

Nice deflection from you not admitting you were wrong. But hey, I wouldn't expect anything less.

You are trying too hard. Again. If Mac plays well this coming season you're going to have an identity crisis and will need to find a whole new sense of purpose.
The only people trying too hard are the ones starting threads about offseason workout sessions or posting statements from current players that say: "He's my QB." None of that means ****.

He needs to show what he's got on the field, lead a comeback win, carry the offense for a change, get wins and go deep into the playoffs. The rest are platitudes and ********.

Nice deflection from you not admitting you were wrong. But hey, I wouldn't expect anything less.
Wrong about what? That Judon said: "He's our QB?"

OK, you sold me. Based on this, Mac will be a top 5 QB and take us to the AFCCG this season.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back