PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones working out with Nic Shimonek on his strength and conditioning

The key difference being Mac has been a QB all his life and took us to playoffs and is on rookie contract .

We don't use rookie QB seasons to test if an OC is cut out for it. OC needs to do the job right outta the gate .

Comparing apples to oranges here...
Yeah, so reasonable expectations would be higher for Mac than Patricia going in. Expectations had to be exceptionally low for Patricia. I don't see how throwing him into the position doesn't come with a multi-year plan because you can't expect much of anything when he's doing it for the first time.

Yeah, so reasonable expectations would be higher for Mac than Patricia going in. Expectations had to be exceptionally low for Patricia. I don't see how throwing him into the position doesn't come with a multi-year plan because you can't expect much of anything when he's doing it for the first time.

The expectation of an OC should never be low. An OC's expectation is that he is experienced enough of a play caller that there should be a seamless transition from one OC to the next. If there isn't, that OC is usually quickly fired. Patricia's learning on the job expectations was that he would be a competent play caller right off the bat and grow into an exceptional play caller. Patricia started as a complete disaster and finished the year as a not a complete disaster, but still awful.

And the Patriots need to know what they have with Jones. They don't have the luxury to break in an OC. Maybe if they had Brady at his prime because Brady could have overruled Patricia in key situations and hopefully Patricia could have learned from it.

But this is all moot. It is clear that neither Kraft nor Belichick thought Patricia deserved a second year. Kraft didn't even think he deserved a first year.

100%, often shoulder injuries from throwing are caused by weak glutes and legs. When drafted Mac was in pretty poor shape which i always find remarkable given he was a college athlete and knew he was going to be drafted, same goes for Tom. Mac has improved his condition but not enough for me.
Jones was a big star in college. Heisman mention.

Either you have arm strength or you don't. Elway had a rocket arm at Stanford and with the Pros. Burrow was throwing bombs at LSU just like he is with the Bengals. Can anyone name a QB with a questionable arm that fixed it in the NFL and went on to win anything?

Either you have arm strength or you don't. Elway had a rocket arm at Stanford and with the Pros. Burrow was throwing bombs at LSU just like he is with the Bengals. Can anyone name a QB with a questionable arm that fixed it in the NFL and went on to win anything?

Burrow didn't have good arm strength coming out of college at all. In fact, many people his rookie season question whether he could be a franchise QB because of his arm strength. He really improved his arm strength after his rookie season. But even then, he doesn't have great arm strength.

Tom Brady, his arm wasn't that strong when he was drafted, and the team wanted him to improve his arm strength. I remember a interview he did on WEEI after he was drafted and he said the team had him on a program to improve his arm strength, he said he did it by working on his legs. look at some of his college tape, he was skinny and you could tell his arm wasn't that strong. I thought he was a waste of a pick from watching his college games.

It's very strange. It's like some fans would rather the pats fail and Mac to look bad to vindicate their narrative whatever that may be.

I don't know if Mac is the guy or zappe or someone not on the roster yet. But as a fan I hope Mac turns it around and we can watch good football. I'm not rooting for him to fail.

This narrative he can't make the throws is an odd one too as we saw him make many deep passes this year that looked just fine

This whole “people seeing what they want to see in order to justify their own narratives/biases/rooting interests” is not a phenomenon exclusive to those who aren’t fans of Mac.

Obviously one player can have more arm strength than another ie Elway vs Brees but a player can improve their arm strength relative to themselves. Sure Jones was a superstar in college and had a great season but he was also in pretty poor shape. The biggest issue with Mac is his mechanics last year were bad and he can't throw off platform

Burrow didn't have good arm strength coming out of college at all. In fact, many people his rookie season question whether he could be a franchise QB because of his arm strength. He really improved his arm strength after his rookie season. But even then, he doesn't have great arm strength.
Dreaming is free, but no way that Corky Jones is turning into Joe Burrow because of yoga class.

Vs KC, 4th and 6 from Bengals territory and Joe Burrow drilled a laser to Jmarr Chase in double coverage for about 20 yards. Burrow rolled into Arrowhead last season and took out KC at home and was knocking on the door this season. Burrow destroyed the Bills at home as well.

Lets put it this way, Burrow will be around the NFL for a long time and Corkys days are numbered.

Obviously one player can have more arm strength than another ie Elway vs Brees but a player can improve their arm strength relative to themselves. Sure Jones was a superstar in college and had a great season but he was also in pretty poor shape. The biggest issue with Mac is his mechanics last year were bad and he can't throw off platform
Corkys deep ball was a floater in 2021 and the same in 2022 after, strength training and working with Tom House in the off season.

What NFL QB went from having a noodle arm to striking fear into NFL defenses with his passing?

Tom Brady, his arm wasn't that strong when he was drafted, and the team wanted him to improve his arm strength. I remember a interview he did on WEEI after he was drafted and he said the team had him on a program to improve his arm strength, he said he did it by working on his legs. look at some of his college tape, he was skinny and you could tell his arm wasn't that strong. I thought he was a waste of a pick from watching his college games.

If people have not figured out that Bradys scouting report was BS they never will.

Corkys deep ball was a floater in 2021 and the same in 2022 after, strength training and working with Tom House in the off season.

What NFL QB went from having a noodle arm to striking fear into NFL defenses with his passing?
One off season isn't going to change much as it needs to be consistent over time. 3 months of training isn't long but it's possible to be competitive without having a cannon. Tua led the most explosive passing offense until injuries ruined it and he might have a weaker arm than Jones. Brees has never had a strong arm but got by pretty well.

I'm pretty sure mac was doing more than yoga :)

When have OCs who have failed as bad as Patricia did last year ever been given a second year. Again, if Belichick was any other coach, not only would Patricia been fired but so would Belichick. I think last year’s offensive disaster probably puts Belichick on the hotseat next season.

And based on the Herald story, Patricia was just as lost at the end of the season as he was at the beginning.

Patricia doesn’t deserve a second year to ruin the offense and thank God he isn’t getting one.
I’m not as IBWT as I might have been before. Trusted his judgement last season and it was a mess so that trust isn’t there as much anymore.

I think BB’s seat is warmer than it was. He ought to get a mulligan on all of that for everything he’s done for this team. He used that mulligan last year and won’t (and shouldn’t) get another one.

Totally agree the Patriots need to find out once and for all what they have in Mac Jones. With a much better situation with BOB and I assume upgrades on the OL they can now figure that out.

Mac doesn’t have a strong arm and neither does Zappe. QBs can get by without one. Matt Ryan never had a great arm and he was still really good.

This whole “people seeing what they want to see in order to justify their own narratives/biases/rooting interests” is not a phenomenon exclusive to those who aren’t fans of Mac.

From what I've read here it is. I dont see people going around saying Mac is amazing and had an amazing season. It's usually a nuanced "Mac was bad but it's hard to judge him with such poor coaching"

I Mean when people say there's no way Mac can improve with O'Brien or that the playcalling was fine it's just Mac sucks that's feeding a narrative

Dreaming is free, but no way that Corky Jones is turning into Joe Burrow because of yoga class.

Vs KC, 4th and 6 from Bengals territory and Joe Burrow drilled a laser to Jmarr Chase in double coverage for about 20 yards. Burrow rolled into Arrowhead last season and took out KC at home and was knocking on the door this season. Burrow destroyed the Bills at home as well.

Lets put it this way, Burrow will be around the NFL for a long time and Corkys days are numbered.

Why do you want Jones to fail so badly? I've never seen someone feel so strongly about wanting a guy to fail

Rome wasn't built in a day, remember how he looked body wise the first year, remember how Tom looked before he played in the NFL? At least the guys working on it. I think he's doing it because he's a competitor.
Good post. You have to remember you have a handful of posters here who have not only never worked on anything but accomplished anything

Between you and I. I think they are a little jelly

Lol

If people have not figured out that Bradys scouting report was BS they never will.
Don't tell Tom. He will be mad that he wasted a lot of time working on his strength and technique for nothing.

If Bill was actually on the hot seat, does any reasonable person believe he'd put his faith and trust in Mac Jones? He's not rolling with noodle arm on his last chance but let's be real, he's also nowhere close to that.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back