PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones working out with Nic Shimonek on his strength and conditioning

Too funny, Judon backtracked thats hes all in now the same as Trent Brown.

2 months ago Brown wanted Jimmy or Brady but this week Mac is his dog.
Judon said that Corky just handed the ball off in Buffalo.

Respect for his game Yo.
Spin the Buffalo game as a QB positive.

Let's see your best stuff.

No INTs !

Do something. Find a job. Look for a woman. DO YOUR CHORES.

Spin the Buffalo game as a QB positive.

Let's see your best stuff.

No INTs !

‘LOL! Other than you spinning Judon‘s joke after the Bills game into proof he doesn’t have confidence in Jones, who is spinning anything? I never said Jones had a good game that night.

This thread has run it course. A story about Mac, working on his conditioning has devolved into the same old Mac Sucks, and Mac is fine diatribes that are pretty much the same story we've had on a half dozen OTHER threads.

Here's the thing: Mac Jones will BE taking the first team snaps for this team at the beginning of camp REGARDLESS of what happens over the next 5 months before camp starts. I believe that Mac STILL has to win that job. If Zappe does better in camp and outplays Mac, I believe strongly that he'll get the job.

Bill has shown over the years that his teams are a meritocracy where the best players play the most snaps. We all know that Brady outplayed Drew in the 2001 camp. Mostly because he was much better suited to run the offensive system Bill wanted. That TC Bill got a very close look at the QB's because Bill was THEIR coach. ALL the dynasty books that came out later, said the even if Drew hadn't gotten hurt, he as about 1 or 2 games away from being replaced. If Bill wasn't afraid of replacing a $100M, QB who had been to a superbowl, replacing a young QB coming off a bad year would be easy for him. So all the Mac haters, don't give up there is STILL hope. I hope to see a lot of you at camp this year. (TC is the best thing about retirement.)

In my mind I still hold out hope that Mac will come back and be the kind of QB who can lead his offense into a deep playoff run, He has the speed AND agility to be more "escapeable", yet thus far he hasn't had the experience to make that call and move. I hope this is an area he will work on this spring. (and there are drills you can use to work on that)

But where I really split with the Mac haters is their belief that getting the great QB is the ONLY way to make it to the promised land. Right now what WE need to do is to improve our roster in 3 main areas.. OL, CB, and WR Adding just ONE stud in each of those areas through the draft and FA will VASTLY transform a decent team into a contender.

Here's my Hypothetical - With our first 2 picks in the draft we go CB, WR. I think BSG will agree that there will be more value and a surer choice at #14 for a CB than at OT. Not a great year for stud OLmen after the top 2 (I believe) there will a a nice group that are pretty much interchangeable that there is s decent shot for one to be there at #46. But instead of going OL at 46, I'd prefer a WR. Again WR is going to be a deep deep position, I believe (and I can't believe I'm saying this) we are more likely to find a future #1 WR in the draft than in FA. If a good but limited Meyers is the top FA WR, then sorry that ISN'T a great WR market in FA. If a #1 WR is the goal, then we are more likely to find it in the draft than FA.

So instead of spending FA money on receivers, I'd rather spend it on DT's and OT's, Our DL had a really good year. Godcheax had a much better year, Wise had a breakout year, Guy was his usual solid self, and Ekule made strides. But adding a DRon Payne would make our DL terrifying in the ways they could come at you. Team him with Barmore on passing downs and you will need at LEAST 3 blockers to attempt do control them. Now combine them with Judon's power, and Uche's speed we SHOULD have one of the better 4 man rushers in the league.
ALSO he is only 25 with his best years ahead of him. Like most "studs" adding one makes everyone around them better

I've heard a lot of talk about someone like McGlinchey, but I REALLY like the idea of moving Trent back to RT. and adding a LT, but the LT market is very small, and only Orlando Brown at almost 27, is under 30. Unfortunately he is going to have a LOT of offers in this market, So keeping Trent at LT and improve his play will be the best play and add a RT. It's tricky.

The OTHER thing I'd like to see happen is a trade for Alvin Kamara. Kamara is simply the best 3rd down back in the league and #2 isn't close. GRANTED he comes with baggage which is likely to be a 6 game suspension. But in my mind it might be a good thing in the long run, since it will drive DOWN the cost to attain him. NO is in disarray. A mid round 4ht or 5th might look good to get Kamara's cap off their payroll. When he retired, I didn't think losing James White was going to be a problem, but with Montgomery going down 2, the lack of that James White role was laid bare. I want it back

To get this, we need to get rid of some people, Smith is the best option here. 2 years and it never worked. In some sense I'd like to see what BOB could do with Smith and Henry, but right now he is a luxury proposition. Add his, what 12MM, and that will pay dividends down the road.

So add the FLUID future #1 WR and immediate #1 CB in the draft while adding 2 very solid DT/OT in FA and we have the beginnings of a great long term run toward another title. Anything else we get this off season will be gravy

So let's drop this never ending whining about Mac and get on with adding the pieces to a more stable run to annual playoff berths

Just a correction. Tom Brady worked with a coach by the name of Tom Martinez. They worked together from the time Brady was a sophomore in HS until Mr. Martinez passed in February of 2012. Nearly 20 years. I believe that Brady started working with Tom House in 2013.

Thanks, I forgot about Martinez as TB12's OG mentor while also working with House. The important thing for this thread is that even the GOAT needed to work extremely hard to be successful. As PFK states, Mac will be the QB next year whether we like it or not. The fact that he is doing his part to prepare is a good thing. It makes no sense to allocate resources to start over at QB until Mac proves himself one way or another. Debating the draft and FA is a better use of time until the start of training camp.

‘LOL! Other than you spinning Judon‘s joke after the Bills game into proof he doesn’t have confidence in Jones, who is spinning anything? I never said Jones had a good game that night.
Facts are that both Judon and Brown have been on damage control for dissing Corky.

This thread has run it course. A story about Mac, working on his conditioning has devolved into the same old Mac Sucks, and Mac is fine diatribes that are pretty much the same story we've had on a half dozen OTHER threads.
The chickens always go home to roost.
Here's the thing: Mac Jones will BE taking the first team snaps for this team at the beginning of camp REGARDLESS of what happens over the next 5 months before camp starts. I believe that Mac STILL has to win that job. If Zappe does better in camp and outplays Mac, I believe strongly that he'll get the job.
No Zappe will not get the job for numerous reasons.

A HC/GM that kept useless 1st round pick K Harry around for 4 years will not throw in the towel on Jones because of where he was selected. Wynn has been another dumpster fire pick who stuck around. Another reason is that Corky is too sensitive to lose his job and then fight to get it back. Thats why he went crying to people outside the Pats organization about the 2022 NE offense. The 3rd reason is that the sporting world would be ablaze upon the news that Corky Jones lost his job to an obscure 4th round pick from Podunk, KY.

Corky will be the starter ready or not.

A HC/GM that kept useless 1st round pick K Harry around for 4 years will not throw in the towel on Jones because of where he was selected. Wynn has been another dumpster fire pick who stuck around. Another reason is that Corky is too sensitive to lose his job and then fight to get it back. Thats why he went crying to people outside the Pats organization about the 2022 NE offense. The 3rd reason is that the sporting world would be ablaze upon the news that Corky Jones lost his job to an obscure 4th round pick from Podunk, KY.

Except BB has been praised for letting guys go no matter where they were drafted. Like he says, it doesn't matter how you got here but you all have to earn your spot. I'm not sure where you get this he won't dump a first round pick because of where he was taken. Nkeal isn't a good comp because he was hurt a lot of the time and our receiver depth was thin.

Except BB has been praised for letting guys go no matter where they were drafted. Like he says, it doesn't matter how you got here but you all have to earn your spot. I'm not sure where you get this he won't dump a first round pick because of where he was taken. Nkeal isn't a good comp because he was hurt a lot of the time and our receiver depth was thin.
Kneal Harry was a bust from day 1 and you cant change QBs like Right Tackles.

Jones will absolutely be starting and if BB intervenes on the play calling it just might cost him his job.

Zappe will get the job if he earns it. Like Stidham before him Zappe didn't show a single thing last season that would have made BB hand him the job on a silver platter and bench Mac for good. Let's see if that changes this summer.

Zappe will get the job if he earns it. Like Stidham before him Zappe didn't show a single thing last season that would have made BB hand him the job on a silver platter and bench Mac for good. Let's see if that changes this summer.
You've got to be kidding.

Zappes stats are better than Jones in every category except passes batted down. He nearly pulled off beating GB in GB and is 2 - 0 as a starter. Furthermore, folks here rip BB for placing Patricia as OC, but the decision to keep Jones in barely wining was the correct call. It took a punt return to beat the Jets post BYE because Jones couldn't score. The Jets win prior to the BYE saw the defense set Jones up at the 5 yard line for his score. Corky was high fiving FGs in Minnesota and the Pats did not trust him with the ball in final seconds of the Cincinnati and Las Vegas games.

Its comical. Zappe beat bad teams and that's the reason for the win. Jones beat bad teams in 2021 and is a Probowler and "The Guy"

We heard the same BS when Bledsoe went down. That Brady was only keeping the place warm.

Harry wasn't useless. He was a good blocker. He was only kept for 3 years before he was traded.
Wynn wasn't a dumpster fire either. He was actually a good LT when he was healthy. Moving him to RT was an absolute mistake by Patricia. If you can't admit that, then why do you bother posting?

Claiming that Jones is too sensitive is just asinine (typical for you, though). The fact you give any credibility to the report by Chris "F'in" Simms (who absolutely hates the Pats and BB) shows how you're reaching. For all we know, Jones reached out to Saban and Sarkisian to get their advice and Simms lied and didn't name people just to create drama. BTW, something you don't understand? This was Jones 1st season since early in HS that he had a losing record.

Anyone who says that they haven't talked to others about how to handle a complicated work situation is lying. I've talked to my parents and people in industry whom I respected to get advice and different perspectives. Especially when I was young and KNEW that I still had tons to learn.

Hell, for all we know, Judge is the one who made the claims to Simms. You know. The coach that couldn't stay in his own lane to the point that BB removed him and no one found out until after the season was over.

So, how do you propose Bill gets a top QB? You guys say it like they just grow on trees and Bill is stubbornly hanging onto Mac Jones when instead he could have some top QB and win a superbowl

And how do you even know whether you have a top QB an average QB or a bad QB if you don't give them time to develop?

In your scenario the eagles would've dumped hurts after his 2nd season because he looked pretty average and not a top QB
This. How do you get someone better than Mac? Either by trade or the draft. Who we trading for that would be a significant improvement and would be THE guy? And if not a trade then we are just on the carousel of drafting a qb in the first round over and over which is not an exact science until we hit on a Burrows, Allen, Mahommes? People hated Tua and Hurts but the latter especially has shown that he can play this year. We need to do the same. We need to know for sure what we have and at this time it's the best option considering all of the above so the endless Mcorky noodle arm comments are just wasted breath until Mac is fully done.

Remember when the Jones haters claimed Judon joking about Jones only passing three times was proof that Judon didn't have confidence in Jones?

Remember when these same haters said Trent Brown liking a comment on Twitter was proof that he hated Mac Jones?

To paraphrase the BeeGees: It's only words...

You've got to be kidding.

Zappes stats are better than Jones in every category except passes batted down. He nearly pulled off beating GB in GB and is 2 - 0 as a starter. Furthermore, folks here rip BB for placing Patricia as OC, but the decision to keep Jones in barely wining was the correct call. It took a punt return to beat the Jets post BYE because Jones couldn't score. The Jets win prior to the BYE saw the defense set Jones up at the 5 yard line for his score. Corky was high fiving FGs in Minnesota and the Pats did not trust him with the ball in final seconds of the Cincinnati and Las Vegas games.

Its comical. Zappe beat bad teams and that's the reason for the win. Jones beat bad teams in 2021 and is a Probowler and "The Guy"
Zappe is not a better QB than Mac. That includes his arm strength.

Zappe's entire body of work is one good game (Cleveland), 2 meh games (GB, Detroit) and 1 horrendous game (Chicago, the worst ranked defense in the league). Mac had a ROTY candidate season in 2021 plus this season. We have a meaningful sample size for Mac and he gets the benefit of the doubt and IMO he should.

Also "Nearly beat" =/= beat. Harris and Stevenson were the reason why the Patriots were in that game not the QB. Zappe threw for less than 100 yards that day. In OT was set up 1st and 10 near midfield and went 3 and out. Did he even throw half his 15 passes past the line of scrimmage?

A mixed bag like that is what I would expect from any backup caliber QB stepping in for the starter for a few games so his role is appropriate. He showed enough to beat Hoyer out for QB2 and that's that. It's not a track record that should have had the starter benched for good. .

Let's see what happens in camp. Maybe things will be different.

Agreed.

Also, if Mac Jones is the QB of the Cincinnati Bengals, they are playing in the Super Bowl this Sunday. Imagine MJ with all of those weapons.

To be fair, you could say this about most teams, including the Patriots if we had real offensive coaches this past season.

Yeah I don't think that's gonna happen with Jones in a top heavy AFC. BB's coaching alone ain't gonna be enough. We need a top qb. He and Andy Reid basically switched places.
The Pats will contend when they have an elite QB. Until then, they will not come close to beating the Chiefs, Bengals or even the Bills and Dolphins as they've shown.
LOL! Judon doesn't care about winning. Too funny.
You'd be surprised at how many professional athletes don't care as much as fans think they care. Their main concern is making as much money as they can before their bodies break down. Winning is just icing on the cake.
The 2022 Pats defense and run game was good enough to make a run, but you nailed it at QB.

Time is running out for BB.
Their defense isn't very good as shown when they played any competent offense. They need better CB's and the middle of the D is still a weakness in coverage. Judon disappearing in big games and going on his 2nd consecutive December slide certainly doesn't help.
That is never, Ever, EVAH happening.
Yep, too much dysfunction and not enough talent.

It would be nice to see him throw to some actual talent.

Frank Matano Reaction GIF by Italia's Got Talent

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back