PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones working out with Nic Shimonek on his strength and conditioning

Never mind the yoga pants, but does Corky Mac have skinny ankles?

They look like a ballet dancers.

He should get a grit and toughness coach, like Steve Grogan.
I think he's tough, but also emotional. He took a lot of hits this year and kept trucking outside of the high ankle sprain. While I have occasionally thought about having Garoppolo back this season, I also have to remind myself that Garoppolo would not have lasted through nearly as many hits. He just wears his emotions on his sleeve a little too much during game time - IMO.

I think he's tough, but also emotional. He took a lot of hits this year and kept trucking outside of the high ankle sprain. While I have occasionally thought about having Garoppolo back this season, I also have to remind myself that Garoppolo would not have lasted through nearly as many hits. He just wears his emotions on his sleeve a little too much during game time - IMO.
Too much Manningface.

Let's gooooo, McCorkle!!!!

What I am hoping for:

flexing arnold schwarzenegger GIF

Did it? I think his rookie year proved he can be relied on not to lose you games if he has good playcalling, adequate protection and a good running game. That's valuable in the NFL, a lot of guys can't provide that, but it certainly doesn't prove he's "good enough", at least not in my view. I never thought Alex Smith was good enough to contend with, neither is Ryan Tannehill, and they had some seasons that were a lot better than what Mac put together as a rookie. Even Bill reocgnized that, as he started 2022 putting a whole lot more on Mac's plate: merely replicating 2021 wasn't enough, they had to know if he was capable of making a jump into more of a driver of the offense. Of course the coaching staff was such a mess I don't think we can definitively call that attempt to put more on his shoulders a failure, but to me he has not proven he's good enough to contend with.

I guess I should say that his rookie year proved he was good enough to deserve another shot in his 3rd year with a real OC. I'm not ready to write him off after this abysmal season, but next year is a huge 3rd year for him where he needs to prove that he can be the guy. I would expect Zappe to challenge him in camp for the starting role, which will be good for both of them to compete

Mac's rookie season proves nothing about his future. Firstly, it wasn't that spectacular and he arguably played his worst over the last third of that season. Secondly, for example, Lamar Jackson was an overwhelming NFL MVP is his first full season as a starter, yet half this forum calls him a bum. So one mildly decent season from Mac should not be "proof" that he's good enough to be a true franchise quarterback.
disclaimer: i pulled all screenshots directly from google search

Jakobi Meyers did not regress this season (in fact he was better)
1675364162051.png
less receptions and yards, but more touchdowns

Hunter Henry didn't regress either
1675364078164.png

It wasn't a huge regression, but he did regress. Was a huge regression in terms of touchdowns

Parker's availability was an issue but he didn't regress as a receiver at all
1675364343795.png

his injuries were a factor, we were definitely hoping for more than this kind of production from a veteran like him

Mac's overall supporting cast was fine
we certainly disagree here. Jonnu Smith was invisible and basically has been stealing from this franchise. Nelson Agholor as well. Henry produced about the same minus the touchdowns (which seem to have gone to Jacobi instead). Thornton was a rookie that had an injury, and wasnt effective.

Bourne was their 2nd best weapon after Meyers and he was buried on the depth chart for some reason..

If Rham didn't emerge into an All-Pro type RB, it would have been way worse because they don't have weapons that defenses have to respect.. then you add in predictable play calling at a 5th grade level that the defenses were deciphering and eating up, and you get what you had in the 2022 season

Doesnt matter if its Mac, Zappe or anyone else, they need some legit weapons to throw to

Attachments

• 1675364288400.png
    1675364288400.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 0
I'm optimistic. Mac is showing the drive already to improve strength which he needs. O'Brien is worlds better than Patricia and is just a good coach. They'll probably return fully to the EP system, which is wise. They have a solid amount of cap space and some ways to create more. They have a fairly high first round draft pick and a bounty of picks overall to make moves with. If they can get an average OL and a serious threat at receiver they can go places. I also think that going back to EP will mean Bourne should hopefully be able to produce like he did in 2021 and be a solid #2. Henry was also a lot better in '21.

How do you transform a QB with questionable arm strength?

10 wins, making the post season only to lose to the best QBs is what the old Bengals were made of.
His arm is strong enough... i don't really like Mac as a person but whilst he definitely doesn't have a cannon he can play.

Does the best qb always win the game? `Sure if you have Skylar Thompson you might struggle but the eagles won with Wentz and Foles. The 49ers went a long way with Purdey.

I know players missed games. Guess what, **** happens, it's a hard contact sport, players get hurt on every team every season.

aint that the truth, just ask Damien Harris

I agree on giving Mac a chance this year with Billy O to really see what we have. I just see some physical limitations from him that are hard to ignore. Not even just the physical issues is the fact that he seemed to look skittish in the pocket much more this season than he did as a rookie. Mac also seemed to want to tuck the ball and run or roll out of the pocket but wouldn't keep his eyes down field. It was like he made his decision to run and that was that. With proper technique and coaching he may develop into a QB who can carry the team but only time will tell.

some of that (not all of it), but some of it can be contributed toward not having trust in the protection.. his mental clock was accelerated because he was under constant assault. The offensive line was a total mess, another area of responsibility belonging to Fat Matt

3rd year will tell us a lot about what Mac is or isnt, but its too early to make a definitive statement one way or the other right now

If we're thinking Mac can work his way into becoming a Burrow, Allen or Jones tier quarterback we'll be disappointed. Based on his first couple of years I see a quarterback that is good enough to start and manage an offense okay but he's not going make the difference between a team making the playoffs to one going deep in the playoffs. He is doing the right thing though. He can be good enough to keep his starting job.

Last edited:
Get Mac that kid I am convinced that Mac is the kind of QB who will need Elite Offensive Skilled players to make him look good. He's not a guy who can do it by himself.

that dude looks BIG

how fast is his 40 time?

I thought we were done with workout videos as evidence of anything after Cam Newton?

Lamar Jackson was arguably one of the worst passing QB in the league when he won MVP. He was an mediocre passer. What won him MVP that season was that he rushed for 1200 yards and seven TDs. Comparing him with Jones isn’t fair.
I don't think you know what you're talking about. Here are just a few stats that took a few mins to look up. I'd do that next time before posting.

Led in TD % and had one of the highest modern day %.

4th in ANY/A

3rd in QB rating

11th YA

1st QBR and TD passes.

4th AY/A

It helps the conversation when all parties are at least somewhat informed. I think posters owe it to themselves and others. Doesn't hurt to educate yourself a little Rob.

Any questions you have feel free to PM me. I'll be happy to help or just tell you I don't know the answer.

that dude looks BIG

how fast is his 40 time?
It doesn't matter Gronk and Bennett didn't run 4.4 but they could get open. It's all about how you use your Body and that's there's and will be Washington's advantage. :cool:

I don't think you know what you're talking about. Here are just a few stats that took a few mins to look up. I'd do that next time before posting.

Led in TD % and had one of the highest modern day %.

4th in ANY/A

3rd in QB rating

11th YA

1st QBR and TD passes.

4th AY/A

It helps the conversation when all parties are at least somewhat informed. I think posters owe it to themselves and others. Doesn't hurt to educate yourself a little Rob.

Any questions you have feel free to PM me. I'll be happy to help or just tell you I don't know the answer.
Talk about conflict of interest.:rofl:

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back