PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones bottom 5 QB in the NFL? Wut

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Caught this tidbit in the interview with Cam

As for his successor as New England’s QB1, Newton was full of praise.

“I was with Mac Jones. Mac Jones is going to be a great quarterback,” Newton said when Jones’ name came up as a potential bottom-five quarterback in the NFL.

Came up from who? lol. What’s next an 0-17 season? :D

It’s fair to be concerned about the direction of the team but the anti-Patriots takes this off-season are starting to get a little absurd. Hope Mac and the team are listening to this and shoves this stuff right up their you know where.

Not to be that guy, but is this threadworthy?
Well it’s a discussion about Mac and the over the top negative perception around the team right now. If mods want to merge it into one general Mac thread then ok.

Yeah, that’s a pretty dumb take by whoever said that. Someone that doesn’t understand football. If your looking at this year or in the future, Mac doesn’t come close to bottom 5

Well it’s a discussion about Mac and the over the top negative perception around the team right now. If mods want to merge it into one general Mac thread then ok.

Yes it is. And there are dozens of them, at any given moment. So the real question is: of all the noise out there, is this particular comment worthy of our attention?

I am not the biggest Mac fan in the world but even strictly statically speaking he was right in the middle of the pack in most categories.

Not to be that guy, but is this threadworthy?
Compared to many other things it seems it is. It is useful to see Cam's experience: even ignoring the stuff about Mac, it is a pretty useful window into his experience here. No trash talking the Pats, basically him saying it was hard to learn a complicated system quickly. I'm a fan of Cam: in his prime the guy was a beast.

It’s fair to be concerned about the direction of the team but the anti-Patriots takes this off-season are starting to get a little absurd. Hope Mac and the team are listening to this and shoves this stuff right up their you know where.

The whole quote:

“I was with Mac Jones. Mac Jones is going to be a great quarterback,” Newton said when Jones’ name came up as a potential bottom-five quarterback in the NFL. “I’d put Mac Jones at that 20-ish threshold. He’s a young gun, and obviously with the guys they are going to build around him from the defense, special teams, offensive side, he’s not the guy that I’m talking about.”

So he says Mac Jones is a "bottom five quarterback" but then goes on to say he's in the "20-ish threshold." Someone tell Cam that 20th is not a bottom 5 quarterback.

Last edited:
You guys are being mislead by the article that worded it poorly and without any explanation.

Cam asked the podcast which bottom 5 players at QB are better than him? It was Channing Crowder that said he’d put Mac Jones, Tua and the young guys in the bottom 5 tier ONLY because they are proving themselves. That’s when Cam said Jones will be a great QB (article left out), but right now he’s in the 20ish threshold.

It’s a good discussion of former players telling Cam the hard truth the NFL has moved on from him. Crowder in particular tells Cam he was really bad in NE and the NFL has spoken saying Cam is not a starter in this league anymore. Pretty crazy to see as reporters wouldn’t have the balls to tell players this.

Last edited:
The whole quote:

So he says Mac Jones is a "bottom five quarterback" but then goes on to say he's in the "20-ish threshold." Someone tell Cam that 20th is not a bottom 5 quarterback.

I get the impression that he thinks he's better than bottom 5, but worse than Mac. So he ranks himself between 20-27. I'm just going by the quotes posted above though.

QB5 is already motivated and fkn good

So what we have hear is a failure to communicate.

We have one of the Brady boys finding an article that he thinks reflects poorly on Mac, and he quickly posts it. Even though it really wasn't being negative about Mac at all. So no it wasn't worth posting, is a mischaracterization of the actual interview and somehow, none of us are surprised sb1 posted it.

You have to admire how Cam continues to handle the situation with class, even if he is not realistic about his current capability. He has consistently praised Mac which is commendable. Even though the on field optics were awful, Cam was a tremendous transition QB for the Pat's organization. His contribution was in the locker room to provide a smooth bridge between Brady and Mac. Going into training camp there is no question about the starting QB, lets hope for a second year jump for Mac.

If Mac is able to maintain being the 2nd-best QB in his division, in this new error of 7 PO teams per conference, this should equate to being in the conversation every season - especially after Ryan & Wilson finish their careers - provided that his GM places more bets on the chalk and fewer on reaches whom he "likes" during draft weekend... and leaves himself enough cap space to sign them...

If Mac is able to maintain being the 2nd-best QB in his division, in this new error of 7 PO teams per conference, this should equate to being in the conversation every season - especially after Ryan & Wilson finish their careers - provided that his GM places more bets on the chalk and fewer on reaches whom he "likes" during draft weekend... and leaves himself enough cap space to sign them...
There’s even an unimaginable world where Mac evolves into the best QB in his division. He was better as a rookie than Josh Allen. After two seasons Buffalo faithful wanted management strung up for drafting that “bust.”

Mac doesn’t have to become the best QB in the league, he has to continue to improve and the Pats have to become the best team.

Yeah, that’s a pretty dumb take by whoever said that. Someone that doesn’t understand football. If your looking at this year or in the future, Mac doesn’t come close to bottom 5
I’d put him at about the middle of the pack of NFL starters and better than any QB chosen In the 2021 draft.

What the **** is reading comprehension?

I am not the biggest Mac fan in the world but even strictly statically speaking he was right in the middle of the pack in most categories.
5 TDs and 7 INTs combined in the 4 losses down the stretch (including playoffs).
If such numbers were attached to any other starting QB, what would the keyboard GMs be typing about him?

Just keeping it real

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back