PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Re-Drafting the Mac QB Draft - Curran in September 2023

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score

Our nightmare scenario is that Mac will be back, especially if Josh is OC.

IMO, we are a lock to sign a free agent QB to be our starter and "bridge" quarterback, think Brissette or even Fields.

As we look at the 3rd pick in the draft, it is NOT a lock that we pick one of the supposed top 3, especially with Josh as OC.
===========

Last edited:

Published September 21, 2023​

Published September 21, 2023​

I understand.

However, I could see Josh deciding that Mac is not a lost cause, or that Fields is not a lost cause. Depending on the choice at #3 and who they signed in free agency, I could see them not drafting one of QB3 to QB6 at pick #3.

I understand.

However, I could see Josh deciding that Mac is not a lost cause, or that Fields is not a lost cause. Depending on the choice at #3 and who they signed in free agency, I could see them not drafting one of QB3 to QB6 at pick #3.
It doesn't matter at this point. He's either going to be traded around the draft or at the end of training camp. The odds of him hanging around as the backup are low.

Discussing who else they could have taken is a beyond moot point.

It doesn't matter at this point. He's either going to be traded around the draft or at the end of training camp. The odds of him hanging around as the backup are low.

Discussing who else they could have taken is a beyond moot point.
not if we are re-evaluating Fields as lots of teams may be doing

Also, folks may be realizing that Mac was a fine pick at 15. Perhaps, Mayo and the OC will look forward. Is Mac worth having on the teams as a backup or a #3, or NOT? We may have no better choice for #3 QB.

not if we are re-evaluating Fields as lots of teams may be doing

Also, folks may be realizing that Mac was a fine pick at 15. Perhaps, Mayo and the OC will look forward. Is Mac worth having on the teams as a backup or a #3, or NOT? We may have no better choice for #3 QB.
Mac is not going to agree to that. He'll request a trade or release if he's going to be the permanent number 3.

The team. Having a malcontent who used to be the starter for 2 1/2 years isn't going to be good for your rookie head coach.
He's already a malcontent. He's getting paid, either he sucks it up or quits.

Although it's more likely he's going to be the starter, so this discussion is moot.

He's already a malcontent. He's getting paid, either he sucks it up or quits.

Although it's more likely he's going to be the starter, so this discussion is moot.
That's not how it works.

Look, I get that you don't like Mac. That's fine. But most teams respect their young players enough to trade them if it's not working out on their team so they can try to salvage their career elsewhere. Especially if, at some point, they showed promise. They don't intentionally **** up their career by having him sit deep on the bench for a year.

Last edited:
That's not how it works.

Look, I get that you don't like Mac. That's fine. But most teams respect their young players enough to trade them if it's not working out on their team so they can try to salvage their career elsewhere. Especially if, at some point, they showed promise. They don't intentionally **** up their career by having him sit deep on the bench for a year.
It has nothing to do with my feelings about Mac Jones - or Mac Jones' feelings about Mac Jones.

He's under contract. He honors it, or he can hold out, or quit. Those are his options.

It has nothing to do with my feelings about Mac Jones - or Mac Jones' feelings about Mac Jones.

He's under contract. He honors it, or he can hold out, or quit. Those are his options.
You don't get it.

You don't get it times a trillion!

No tapbacks!
You seem to be under the impression that Mac Jones has any leverage whatsoever.

He's a bust QB, who is under contract for next year. He's virtually untradeable. He can do whatever the coach tells him to do, or he can go home. Those are his options.

At least, with a normal GM and a normal owner. Maybe Mac Jones whispered something to Kraft in Israel or something, which is the only reason he's still on the roster. In fact, he'll be the starter this year opening day. Also, don't be stunned if they pick up his option, since he had to suffer through the mean man and all the mean people who yelled at him for being a terrible QB.

I'd like an example of a bust young player on their first contract, that was nicely granted their release because they asked nicely, to go on and salvage their career somewhere else. Really, any one will do.

I'd like an example of a bust young player on their first contract, that was nicely granted their release because they asked nicely, to go on and salvage their career somewhere else. Really, any one will do.
N'Keal Harry.

Well, all I can say is this, I'm glad you're not running the Pats and I hope you don't manage people for a living.

N'Keal Harry.

Well, all I can say is this, I'm glad you're not running the Pats and I hope you don't manage people for a living.
N'Keal Harry didn't 'ask for his release', he was traded for a bag of footballs because that's the only value he had, and the Bears were dumb enough to do it.

It's the NFL, not a hugbox.

N'Keal Harry didn't 'ask for his release', he was traded for a bag of footballs because that's the only value he had, and the Bears were dumb enough to do it.

It's the NFL, not a hugbox.
Just keep moving those goalposts.

Just keep moving those goalposts.
What goalposts? He was under contract and he was traded to an even worse team for nothing. He wasn't granted his release. His play got him shipped out of town, not his whining.

What goalposts? He was under contract and he was traded to an even worse team for nothing. He wasn't granted his release. His play got him shipped out of town, not his whining.
Hardly any team releases a player on a rookie deal unless it's for disciplinary reasons.

I was talking about them trading him rather than letting him rot on the bench. This conversation has gone on long enough. I'm not going to convince you of anything and you're certainly not making your case with me.

I think the Pats trade Mac to see if he can salvage his career elsewhere and he won't be the 3rd string QB next year. That's it.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3