PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones blowing away Patriots coaches and teammates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really amazing that all this info was given to a website I’ve never heard of and a guy that runs a fan Twitter account.
Yeah he’s not very credible lmao but I’m going to run with it anyways

By the way this whole "there will never be another Brady" thing is unimportant in 2021.

Part of what has made Brady great is his longevity and his playing on championship caliber teams. Mac doesn't have to become another Brady to have Brady-type production in the passing game.

Early in his career Tom was a game manager who grew into the GOAT, he wasn't Peyton Manning/Andrew Luck or even Justin Herbert/Joe Burrow out of the gate slinging the ball all over the place for big yardage & TD totals... in fact he didn't play his rookie season. And in his second season, first starting, he averaged 189 yards passing a game, 64% completions at a modest 6.8 yards per attempt with 18 TD's and 12 INT's.

What Tom did well once he stopped throwing picks, which didn't happen until right up to the playoffs, was not turn the ball over. He took what defenses were giving him and listened to his experienced coaches. In the 2001 playoffs he only threw 97 passes in three games, had 62% completions at a measly 5.9 yards per attempt (check downs) one TD and one INT.

This reimagining that Tom came in and dominated and that's why they won a ring is the stuff of Brady fanboys who were too young or inexperienced to understand what they were actually witnessing.

Mac Jones has to be good, if we're lucky he'll become great... whether he becomes a champion or anything like Brady will have more to do with the team around him and luck (health) assuming he is good/great.

Dude might never even reach 42 year old Brady level

Drew Bledsoe had 2 major problems.

Bledsoe threw a lot of interceptions and got sacked a lot and I think this is why BB was ready to move on from him

1993 15 td 15 int sacks 16
1994 25 td 27 int sacks 22
1995 13/16 23
1996 27/15 30
1997 28/15 30
1998 20/14 36
1999 19/21 55
2000 17/13 45
Keep in mind that /everybody/ threw a lot more interceptions back then because pass defense was allowed.

The talent level surrounding him started to erode after the 97 season. Plus in 98 he was hurt with the broken finger and missed time.
Didn't he play a game with a pin sticking out of his finger that year?

Mac Jones turns 23 before this season starts, which is a significant factor, he's not 20 or 21. He started 1.5 seasons for the best college program, and won a national championship game. He's seen and done a lot, and it's little wonder he processes things quickly.

Brady was the same age his rookie season and he sat a full year, but things have changed and if Jones is ready he could start W1. He's gonna have to really shine in camp and preseason to win the job that fast, but it's definitely possible. It will be all about how well & quickly he recognizes defenses, cause unless he excels at that, BB won't want to risk the turnovers in the early part of the season. Given how emphatic BB has been about Cam owning the job right now, it's likely that Cam starts the season. I wish the bye were week 5 instead of 14 this year.
FWIW, I've seen some people argue that bye or no bye, the stretch from Week 5 to Week 7 is a likely time for Jones to take over.

Sad to hear you talk about Drew like that. Just curious, do you remember the 2-14 season prior? He systematically change the Patriots with Parcells. Patriots was the laughing stock of the NFL. 1989, 5-11, 1990, 1-15, 1991, 6-10, 1992, 2-14. He was the man before Brady became the legend. I remembered, i'm not spoiled.
Hope my observations of his shortcomings don't upset you in any way.

I agree he helped change things for NE, but he wasn't the only thing. The Pats were coming off a run of bad ownership. bad coaching, bad facilities, etc. It's not "spoiled" to point these things out, IMO. Feel free to disagree.

Glad Drew came here, but the game passed him by pretty quickly, IMO. The whole "West Coast" movement changed what the game expected from a QB. Drew lost out to Brady here, J.P. Losman in BUF and Romo in Dallas. He's a great guy and he had pretty good career. Wish nothing but the best for him and his family.

The talent level surrounding him started to erode after the 97 season. Plus in 98 he was hurt with the broken finger and missed time.

Drew helped to build the foundation. The 1996 playoffs changed people's minds about the Pats. His stats actually aren't terrible until the last 2 Pats seasons. The last 2 years it was clear he wasn't the guy for a low-INT, ball control, good decision QB offense.

FWIW, I've seen some people argue that bye or no bye, the stretch from Week 5 to Week 7 is a likely time for Jones to take over.

This is how I see it, and honestly it's more about the rest of the team around him than just about Mac himself. There are 4 brand new offensive skill position starters on this team (possibly five if they actually swing a trade for Julio Jones). That's a LOT of moving parts that have never played together before. They're going to take time to gel. Hell, the Bucs last year took half a season or more to really start firing on all cylinders, and they had mostly all played together before, but it took them time to all gel with Brady (at least to the standard we all expect of him). I don't expect the timing and complexity of the offense to be 100% for the first month at least.

So the question becomes: Do you want a rookie QB coming in, trying to learn the ropes in the NFL and get his feet under him, while at the same time 80% of his receiving options are still learning where to line up (exaggeration, but in principle)? Or do you let everything kind of form together, then drop him under center once the machine is greased a little?

Who isn't? :D

I was an on-and-off football fan till BP came to town and have watched closely ever since, and have to say I didn't perceive 'something magical' when TB stepped in after Drew's injury.

To me a big part of it was 'addition by subtraction', Drew was overrated, a slow decision maker, a big wind up, no mobility, lacked touch on short passes, overly committed to throwing bombs, etc. TB was a very pleasant change, but to me, nothing magical at the start. Drew's later career showed he was overrated and it took a lot of hard coaching from BP to get much of anything useful out of him.

SB36 was magical, but a lot of that was the defense keeping the Greatest Show on Turf (tm) at check and forcing three turnovers and almost scoring a TD on the fourth which was overturned by a penalty, although Tom's coolness under pressure really showed at the key drive at the end of the game.

TB12 is the GOAT but for me it wasn't clear right from the start he'd be anything more than a competent starting QB. I'm glad I was wrong and he exceeded my expectations.

here's your pink hat.......you've earned it

The year before Brady took over, Bledsoe averaged only 205.7 passing yards per game and 6.2 yards per attempt. Also, Brady went without an interception in 9 of his games that 2001 regular season. And, also, Brady had 3 fourth quarter game winning drives in 2001.

Tom Brady's Career 4th quarter comebacks and game-winning drives | Pro-Football-Reference.com

While it's certainly true that the Patriots of the early to mid 2000s was a team based upon defense and ball control, you're trying to push that to an extreme, in an effort to minimize what early Brady was doing. The re-imagining here is coming from you.

in 2000, the pats ran the ball 3.3ypc.....bledsoe was sacked 3 times per game.....many guys who helped in 2001 weren't there in 2000.....Compton, ASmith, Light, Patten, Seymour, Pleasant, Vrabel, Phifer, Cox......2 phenominal rookies and a bunch of vets who knew how to do what BB wanted.

that's just not a valid comparison. of course bledsoe was never what brady became, but early in his career, he fit BP aggressive approach perfectly. Carroll turned him into a softie

Sad to hear you talk about Drew like that. Just curious, do you remember the 2-14 season prior? He systematically change the Patriots with Parcells. Patriots was the laughing stock of the NFL. 1989, 5-11, 1990, 1-15, 1991, 6-10, 1992, 2-14. He was the man before Brady became the legend. I remembered, i'm not spoiled.

through '89 out ...that was due to injuries in the preseason. it was the worst preseason game i had witnessed since stingley. tippet, lippet and veris in the 4th preseason game. we had just been in the super bowl in '86 and back in it in '97 so laughing stock is a little strong.

Last edited:

If we see Jones this year outside mop-up duty in garbage time/meaningless games then odds are something went catastrophically bad and we are drafting in the top 10 next year.

I can get that people don't believe that Newton will be able to stick with his allegedly improved fundamentals through the entire year and will revert at some point. That is a very valid concern. But if that already happens in W5 -- and is not because of an injury -- then you gotta ask real questions how he made it out of camp as a starter.

Quite honestly anyone who actually doesn't want Mac to redshirt as much as possible (ideally the whole year) to step in next year with a full understanding of the offense is setting him up for failure. Even the GOAT got a full year studying the offense and he is the absolute gold standard when it comes to absorbing, retaining and then using information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back