PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac being labeled dirty

This is my favorite off script Mac Jones play. Word is the Coach of the Argentinian national soccer team made his players watch this before the World Cup for proper flopping technique.

Watch the play you just posted again. You can watch it as many times as you need to. That’s the beauty of YouTube. Here’s what happened: Mac’s head turns as Thornton blows by him which is where he first sees Apple. Not even a half second later, he dives and the contact is made right at Apple’s knees.

"At" or IN FRONT of Apple's knees? I'd be more in line with malicious intent if Mac's head/body momentum and weight were directly into his legs but this essentially was a low crossbody block.

This was also a play that he had to have known would be called back, and even if it hadn’t, Apple had no shot to legally make a block on Thornton before Thornton made a tackle.

Agreed. Once again, the hit was a result of poor judgment, likely on impulse, illegal and fine-worthy.

It was dirty.

It was illegal. "Dirty" implies premeditation, which is a tough sell based on the play, what the replay shows and minus the gift of omniscience.

He’s had a few of those plays in less than two seasons. It’s okay to admit that he’s had some dirty plays.

Perhaps so, I'd need to revisit the others. Talking about just the Apple play here.

it’s not okay to pretend that he’s had innocent intentions every time. His own peers have called these plays dirty.

Yeah, I'm not pretending anything re. Mac's intentions. Maybe he was really naughty on some and innocently stupid on others.

If that was Zach Wilson and the Jets, you’d be the first to say it was dirty.

Please stop conjuring these false equivalencies, you've done that with other arguments. They never apply, I don't think that way.

Last edited:
I didn't think Mac's play was that bad, I can understand that he didn't want the defender to slow down TT and Mac really couldn't do anything else on that play. I'm surprised it's even a penalty.

You conflated two separate statements adding a laugh emoji. Real cute. So do what you should've done and tell me, explicitly, (1) how that is an unjustified "defense" and (2) not an accurate description of what happened based on what the replay shows. If you need further clarity from my end post No. 202 should suffice.

I've said a half-dozen times now that Mac made a bad decision and deserved being fined. You apparently have a different take so let's hear it.

This is your entire quote:
I'm not defending Mac at all, just trying to explain what happened on the Apple play since you asked. The hit was low and unnecessary, he deserved the fine. But I don't think you can't say he "dove at his knees" -- he went down in his path and Apple ran into him. The momentum of Mac's head/body is toward the sideline.
You're going to great lengths to defend Mac, which is fine, just admit it. You actually said Mac went down in Apple's path and Apple ran into Mac. You really don't find that characterization comical?

While it was stupid people act like he went head first into Apple's knee, he flopped down in front of him... Apple would have to be the most unathletic corner in NFL history to get seriously hurt from that.

Was the Warren Sapp of the Bucs hit on Chad Clifton of the Packers dirty in 2003 after the interception? Or was it 2002?

This is your entire quote:

You're going to great lengths to defend Mac, which is fine, just admit it. You actually said Mac went down in Apple's path and Apple ran into Mac. You really don't find that characterization comical?

That's why I referred post No. 202. "Went down in Apple's path" might seem misleading re. my primary point, which is the trajectory of Mac's head/body and weight when the collision occurred: it was toward the sideline IN FRONT of Apple and not directly into his legs. It essentially was a low crossbody block so yes, you see Mac going down and Apple running into him.

This is a description of what happened, not a "defense" of Mac. Still illegal, still fine-worthy.

"At" or IN FRONT of Apple's knees? I'd be more in line with malicious intent if Mac's head/body momentum and weight were directly into his legs but this essentially was a low crossbody block.

At.

1672270131695.jpeg
01gn58amkt5x20mhnhq3.png

Once again, there is no excuse for this kind of confusion. You can watch the video and look at the images as many times as you want until either the apocalypse or until you die.

Agreed. Once again, the hit was a result of poor judgment, likely on impulse, illegal and fine-worthy.

Let’s play a game - WHY is the hit illegal? I can save you the answer if you’d like. The hit is illegal because it often injures the player on the receiving end of the block. This is well-known by just about everyone who follows the game, and especially known by those who play it. This includes Mac. He knowingly peeled back and dove at the knees. It was a dirty play.

It was illegal. "Dirty" implies premeditation, which is a tough sell based on the play, what the replay shows and minus the gift of omniscience.

You don’t need omniscience to determine it. Mac knew that the block had the opportunity to injure Apple, knew it was intentional grounding, and still took the dive. Occam’s Razor says the hit was dirty. When you have his past history on video doing the same things, the smell of smoke should lead you to believe there’s a fire in the case.

Perhaps so, I'd need to revisit the others. Talking about just the Apple play here.

Yeah, I'm not pretending anything re. Mac's intentions. Maybe he was really naughty on some and innocently stupid on others.

I highly doubt it. The NFL won’t give him the benefit of the doubt either.

Please stop conjuring these false equivalencies, you've done that with other arguments. They never apply, I don't think that way.

This isn’t comparing apples to oranges. Your past history on the Jets tells us if Wilson did that to one of our guys in the exact same situation, you’d be the first to point out dirty intent. And you’d be right. But because it’s Mac and the Patriots, you’re not willing to be objective. We’ve had multiple players on the receiving ends of these hits call Mac a dirty player. The latest one, Apple, did so after a winning effort. Not sure what more you need.

You know you can still root for a dirty player, right? Rodney was known as a cheap shot artist and we just called him “blue collar” and “gritty.”

At.

View attachment 48613
01gn58amkt5x20mhnhq3.png

Once again, there is no excuse for this kind of confusion. You can watch the video and look at the images as many times as you want until either the apocalypse or until you die.

Let’s play a game - WHY is the hit illegal? I can save you the answer if you’d like. The hit is illegal because it often injures the player on the receiving end of the block. This is well-known by just about everyone who follows the game, and especially known by those who play it. This includes Mac. He knowingly peeled back and dove at the knees. It was a dirty play.

You don’t need omniscience to determine it. Mac knew that the block had the opportunity to injure Apple, knew it was intentional grounding, and still took the dive. Occam’s Razor says the hit was dirty. When you have his past history on video doing the same things, the smell of smoke should lead you to believe there’s a fire in the case.

I highly doubt it. The NFL won’t give him the benefit of the doubt either.

This isn’t comparing apples to oranges. Your past history on the Jets tells us if Wilson did that to one of our guys in the exact same situation, you’d be the first to point out dirty intent. And you’d be right. But because it’s Mac and the Patriots, you’re not willing to be objective. We’ve had multiple players on the receiving ends of these hits call Mac a dirty player. The latest one, Apple, did so after a winning effort. Not sure what more you need.

You know you can still root for a dirty player, right? Rodney was known as a cheap shot artist and we just called him “blue collar” and “gritty.”

Well, I feel I'm being objective, you believe otherwise. Those stills prove nothing different. "Peeling back," no way. "Diving at his knees," not that either; basically, what Mac does is pull up and lay down in front of him -- a low crossbody block. But whatever you want to see and knowing you've been anti-Mac for a while now, perhaps your own objectivity needs a checkup.

I often engage in hyperbole re. the Jete but if things were reversed still would not claim "dirty intent" given the same exact evidence. I'm not invested in defending Mac on the Apple play; if I was, I'd say the hit was "just football" and he shouldn't be fined. It definitely appeared impulsive, was wrong, illegal and fine-worthy. Like I said earlier, I'd need to revisit the other allegedly dirty plays by Mac to form an opinion. Maybe he truly is a malevolent beast deserving universal condemnation and suspension from his next offense.

The bottom line remains as I suggested: either Mac will learn on his own from these incidents or be forced to learn, one way or another.

Last edited:
Eli Candy Apple. What a candy ass.

It was more football stupid than dirty by Mac. A little of both, I guess. More stupid. Mac really has not displayed football IQ in many ways this season.

Eli and Brian Burns last year really whined like a couple of millennial twats. Unbecoming of a football player.

While it was stupid people act like he went head first into Apple's knee, he flopped down in front of him... Apple would have to be the most unathletic corner in NFL history to get seriously hurt from that.
Biggest overreaction to a slow flop in front of someone.. ppl making it out like he torpedoed into his knees

Has anyone noticed that almost every one of these incidents happen right after one of Mac's poor plays?

1. vs CAR: Mac strip sacked by Burns and proceeds to gator roll Burns ankle.
2. vs BAL: Mac Jones throws INT towards end of game & immediately hops off the field in the most dramatic fashion possible, by screaming and crying over an ankle sprain.
3. vs CHI: Mac Jones scrambles for a 1st down and after sliding tries to trip rookie Brisker with his leg.
4. vs CHI: Mac Jones scrambles on 2 & 9 short of 1st down and as he slides raises his leg in a kick fashion right into Brisker's groin. A few plays later Mac gets picked by Brisker.
5. vs CIN: Mac Jones strip sacked and upon losing the ball proceeds to cut block Eli Apple, who wasn't even part of the play.

There's also a possible motive for why he did it. Mac's rating when targetting Apple = 39.6

Unc now calling Mac a liar for his lame excuse on the Apple illegal block. This is bad. Everyone is piling on Mac. First, he was ridiculed last week over his non-tackle and being posterized by Chandler Jones like a truck running over a turkey. Now this. Mac please stop all this nonsense. You're making a once glorious franchise the laughingstock of the NFL.

Mac will learn on his own from these incidents or be forced to learn, one way or another.
A NFL QB could go an entire career without registering an "incident" let alone four in 1+ years.
One would think after the first or the second or third cheap shot he might "learn".
Not our boy who declares after every game "I'll clean that up this week in practice"
"Clean up" must be code for sharpening the cleats.

Has anyone noticed that almost every one of these incidents happen right after one of Mac's poor plays?

1. vs CAR: Mac strip sacked by Burns and proceeds to gator roll Burns ankle.
2. vs BAL: Mac Jones throws INT towards end of game & immediately hops off the field in the most dramatic fashion possible, by screaming and crying over an ankle sprain.
3. vs CHI: Mac Jones scrambles for a 1st down and after sliding tries to trip rookie Brisker with his leg.
4. vs CHI: Mac Jones scrambles on 2 & 9 short of 1st down and as he slides raises his leg in a kick fashion right into Brisker's groin. A few plays later Mac gets picked by Brisker.
5. vs CIN: Mac Jones strip sacked and upon losing the ball proceeds to cut block Eli Apple, who wasn't even part of the play.

There's also a possible motive for why he did it. Mac's rating when targetting Apple = 39.6

Unc now calling Mac a liar for his lame excuse on the Apple illegal block. This is bad. Everyone is piling on Mac. First, he was ridiculed last week over his non-tackle and being posterized by Chandler Jones like a truck running over a turkey. Now this. Mac please stop all this nonsense. You're making a once glorious franchise the laughingstock of the NFL.

mac gets frustrated by his own performance and can't handle it like a grown men

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back