PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Let's not overreact

Status
Not open for further replies.
On opening day 2017, the New England Patriots received ZERO positive contribution from any player from their 2016 or 2017 draft class...please don't come at me with Joe Thuney or Elandon Roberts or the trade for Cooks...

This is going to be a huge problem going forward if these two drafts prove to be a fruitless as the 07-08 drafts which yielded exactly ONE impactful player (Mayo) and he couldn't stay on the field (missed 30 games in an 8 year career)...spare me the "Brandon Merriweather made the pro bowl!" nonsense....

3.)Blown Coverage- We paid Gilmore a lot of money. like absurd amounts. There is no reason a man who got that contract should have just let someone run by him like that.

That one wasn't on Gilmore, McCourty took blame for that one.

"deserve all the criticism they're getting now"

"I don't care about the previous years"

"This is really embarrassing"

Hmm, problem's not the team, methinks.
Yeah dude if you're satisfied with Alex Smith carving up the Pats' defense for nearly 400 yards, then you'll be satisfied next week when Brees annihilates the defense and chews them up. 500 yards.

Yeah dude if you're satisfied with Alex Smith carving up the Pats' defense for nearly 400 yards, then you'll be satisfied next week when Brees annihilates the defense and chews them up. 500 yards.

It ain't happening next week. I tell you that right now.

It's weird...even when they scored in the red zone on their first possession, I had this feeling the whole time like their offense wasn't cohesive. When they got into the red zone, it was like Brady completely lacked confidence in the receivers and the offensive playcalling. No quick slants or passes to RBs...just Brady locking in on one player and then throwing the ball away. The personnel grouping seemed to give away their very obvious strategies...no stacked formations or anything. The empty five receiver set would be great, if Brady had any trust in throwing to Hogan (covered by Peters), Gronkowski (doubled/covered by Berry), or Allen (looks like a serious trust issue there). No idea why the running backs like James White or Dion Lewis wouldn't be in there as actual trusted targets, rather than a bunch of receivers who literally were not even viable options in Brady's mind. It was like throw to Cooks or Amendola, or throw the ball away, until Amendola went out, at which point it became throw to Cooks.

So surprised the Patriots underutilized their weapons so much. With Burkhead, White, and Lewis back there, they should have at least had some fight left on offense.

I hope Gronkowski still has something close to the same speed and burst that used to. Even in double coverage and a good coverage safety, it the offense typically still designs plays to get him the ball. There were basically none last night. Even the non-touchdown catch was a ridiculously difficult play.

It's one game! I'm disappointed we lost but it's not the end of the Patriots. Let's just remember the season is a long jog, not a quick sprint.

ITS MY FAULT
I have a Brady superbowl Jersey from the game that shall not be named.
I only wore it one time and it was when Brady tore his ACL against Kanas City.
I said last night there's no such thing as curses so I wore it.
Now Brady didn't go down but I'm a little creeped out by the results.
The reason I believe the Jersey is evil I ordered it before that Superbowl it didn't come til the Tuesday after the game sat in the closet and was worn during the game Brady went down and now last night.
I'm seriously conteplating getting rid of it maybe even a bonfire if the jersey truly is evil.
I'm half joking and part of me is still hmm.
Burn it.

Here's my story.

I used to own an old 40" Mitsubishi box TV...biggest non-projection TV on the market when I got it...weighed a ton...the Pats won XXXVI, XXXVIII and XXXIX on that TV...

...then, in 2006 I replaced it with a 61" Plasma job...too heavy even to hang on the wall...cost a fortune...great picture but, as my kids would say, "dumb"...so costly to manufacture they don't even make it any more...Yep, they lost XLII and XLVI on that TV...

...then, in late 2014, my TV guy convinced my kids to convince me to get a newer "Smart" 60" LCD unit...you get the picture...they won XLIX and LI on this TV...

...some things are cursed...

Burn it.

I think everyone is disappointed. So many issues in this game, players, play calling, decision making...But I have no doubt that it will get fixed, it might take a while and we might sweat out some games.

We have seen this story before, I am not too concerned. But who knows, it is might be a down season..

Wait for it...if they go beat up on the Saints then everyone will go breaking ankles try to climb back on....

No worries. I'll hide under my bed, dude.

Andy Reid runs a very nice offense, they were 12-4 last year and Reid has torched us in the past

-lets look at the last 6 games

2005 SB: 24 - 21 - McNabb 357 yards
2007 regular season 31-28 - AJ Feely 345 yards
2011 regular season 38-20 - Vince Young 400 yards
2014 regular season 14 -41 - A Smith 248 yards (3 TDs)
2016 playoffs 27-20 - A Smith 246 yards and 44 yards rushing
2017 regular season 27-42 - A Smith 368 yards

Randomish pile-on:

- The over-the-top banner ceremony was an anti-Belichickian karma buster. BB's whole story is that they don't look back, it's a new season, last year doesn't mean anything, etc. That opening was exactly the opposite. I don't think it really had anything to do with the game performance, but it was a far cry from run-out-as-a-team like in Brady's first super bowl.

- At least for a night, the Chiefs unleashed two NFL super stars in Hill and Hunt who combined for like 350 yards. And I don't think anyone saw that coming. Who expects the Chiefs to ever have offense super stars with that production?

Agree wth you on point 1 - not a "reason" for anything, but it was a puzzling, uncharacteristic, and unnecessary distraction

As for point 2...

09000d5d8207e402_gallery_600.jpg

Only one game for the crybaby biatches to call it a season. I would call that a record but some have quit on them in the preseason. Adios biatches.

You clearly have an entirely different take on what transpired. I said McGregor would win the fight. The winner of that fight was, without a shadow of a doubt Conor McGregor. But I can see where your confusion comes from. I blame the Marquess of Queensberry rules for not aligning with the rules of a real fight and for failing to conform. That's not on me. You can take your frustrations out on the WBC.

You are a disgusting person.

Optics of 42-27 make it look like the Pats got run out of the building like 41-14 but really when you break it down despite not playing anywhere near their best there is some stuff you look at and wonder like if Brady gets the ball to White before stepping over the LOS Pats go up 31-21 which even if the Hunt TD happens it is 31-28 but the Pats aren't forced into going for it on 4th and 1 which changed field position which helped the Chiefs on their TD that made it 35-27.

Hightower went out when it was 21-17, 2 plays later Chiefs punt.

Pats score 24-21 Pats.

Chiefs drive, Chiefs punt

Pats drive it to the 4 and then lose 6 yards on a pitch to White. Then Brady throws it a yard past the line which if he had better awareness he could have thrown it earlier and White would have walked in. Settle for a FG. Pats 27-21

Chiefs drive, they realize Hightower is out and Marsh is in and Hunt has the hot hand so they attack that area and kudos to them it worked out 80 yard TD Chiefs 28-27

Pats drive, Go for it on 4th and 1 at the 40, stopped

Chiefs drive, 3 and out

Pats drive, this is where the 4th and 1 stop field position comes in. Pats start that drive from the 13 and it stalls at the 29. Pats punt

Chiefs drive, start from their 45 eventually go 55 yards and get a TD 35-27

You just wonder if Brady gets back behind the LOS and gets it to White if it leads to a different outcome.

On opening day 2017, the New England Patriots received ZERO positive contribution from any player from their 2016 or 2017 draft class...please don't come at me with Joe Thuney or Elandon Roberts or the trade for Cooks...

This is going to be a huge problem going forward if these two drafts prove to be a fruitless as the 07-08 drafts which yielded exactly ONE impactful player (Mayo) and he couldn't stay on the field (missed 30 games in an 8 year career)...spare me the "Brandon Merriweather made the pro bowl!" nonsense....
So, in your opinion, the season is over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents