PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Let's not overreact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Optics of 42-27 make it look like the Pats got run out of the building like 41-14 but really when you break it down despite not playing anywhere near their best there is some stuff you look at and wonder like if Brady gets the ball to White before stepping over the LOS Pats go up 31-21 which even if the Hunt TD happens it is 31-28 but the Pats aren't forced into going for it on 4th and 1 which changed field position which helped the Chiefs on their TD that made it 35-27.

Hightower went out when it was 21-17, 2 plays later Chiefs punt.

Pats score 24-21 Pats.

Chiefs drive, Chiefs punt

Pats drive it to the 4 and then lose 6 yards on a pitch to White. Then Brady throws it a yard past the line which if he had better awareness he could have thrown it earlier and White would have walked in. Settle for a FG. Pats 27-21

Chiefs drive, they realize Hightower is out and Marsh is in and Hunt has the hot hand so they attack that area and kudos to them it worked out 80 yard TD Chiefs 28-27

Pats drive, Go for it on 4th and 1 at the 40, stopped

Chiefs drive, 3 and out

Pats drive, this is where the 4th and 1 stop field position comes in. Pats start that drive from the 13 and it stalls at the 29. Pats punt

Chiefs drive, start from their 45 eventually go 55 yards and get a TD 35-27

You just wonder if Brady gets back behind the LOS and gets it to White if it leads to a different outcome.
Probably. Plus you figure if that dynamic changed the Pats would not be playing from behind trying to get quick strikes instead of long sustained drives. Longer offensive drives would mean the D would have gotten much more rest....not that it even may of helped.

But when you think about it, the Pats ended up like all the other teams they have pulled ahead of and ended up playing from behind, stalling out and gassing their D. We have done it to teams many times.

So, in your opinion, the season is over?

Well at least he has the Red Sox for October.... As long as they don't choke away a 4 game lead over the next 20 games. But can't see that happening it's not like they've ever choked away a lead in Sept...... Oh wait.

On opening day 2017, the New England Patriots received ZERO positive contribution from any player from their 2016 or 2017 draft class...please don't come at me with Joe Thuney or Elandon Roberts or the trade for Cooks...

This is going to be a huge problem going forward if these two drafts prove to be a fruitless as the 07-08 drafts which yielded exactly ONE impactful player (Mayo) and he couldn't stay on the field (missed 30 games in an 8 year career)...spare me the "Brandon Merriweather made the pro bowl!" nonsense....

Your words mean nothing here, troll. Everybody can read my sig.

Go burn something in your own backyard.

Last edited:
Not saying this will hold for the season, in fact it can act as the bucket of water to wake the team up, but...

The whole vibe of the night was just too comfortable, the team didn't have the same razor sharp intensity you're always used to.

Seeing Brady laughing after throwing over the line-of-scrimmage really emphasized that for me. Since when has Brady ever found committing a big penalty funny? (Again NOT saying Brady has changed or some stupid ****, just this game in particular...)

Hell, Belichick even seemed happier than normal on the sidelines before the game, etc.

But what the hell, they're human, they SHOULD have been happy, they're celebrating their 5th SB but I just think banner night had a bad impact on the game. Not to mention about the media talking about how much better they are than every other team this year. The game almost felt like a formality in a league where there is anything but.

Happy this happened week 1 to instantly snap the team (especially the new players, who may think just being on the Pats mean winning comes naturally) into reality and that they will have to earn it on the field just like every Pats team before them

Not sure why anyone is talking about history. I don't care what the Patriots did 14 years ago. I don't care what they did last year. This year is THIS year. So whatever "history" has showed us can go flying out the window. The Patriots went 1-0 last year, and then won the SB. The Patriots went 1-0 in 2015 and lost to the Broncos in the AFCCG. It doesn't mean anything.

And the LB's were horrible after DH left for the game. KC exposed them and the run defense. They ran all over them. It was extremely embarrassing honestly watching this unfold. To lose a close one is something. It happens. But to lose like that in front of your home crowd? Just crushing.

Also Brady looked very bad. I've never seen him overthrow that many balls. Do I dare say he looked like *gulp* 2015 Peyton Manning there? It's too early to tell, but keep an eye on him. Eventually Brady's age will catch up. It's just the way it is.

And it doesn't get easier facing the Saints and Drew Brees next week who will shred this defense apart if they played the way they did on Thursday. If you think KC's offense, which isn't even that good was bad, wait till you face the Saints who are top 5 in offensive categories almost every single year.

Not sure why anyone is talking about history. I don't care what the Patriots did 14 years ago. I don't care what they did last year. This year is THIS year. So whatever "history" has showed us can go flying out the window. The Patriots went 1-0 last year, and then won the SB. The Patriots went 1-0 in 2015 and lost to the Broncos in the AFCCG. It doesn't mean anything.

And the LB's were horrible after DH left for the game. KC exposed them and the run defense. They ran all over them. It was extremely embarrassing honestly watching this unfold. To lose a close one is something. It happens. But to lose like that in front of your home crowd? Just crushing.

Also Brady looked very bad. I've never seen him overthrow that many balls. Do I dare say he looked like *gulp* 2015 Peyton Manning there? It's too early to tell, but keep an eye on him. Eventually Brady's age will catch up. It's just the way it is.

And it doesn't get easier facing the Saints and Drew Brees next week who will shred this defense apart if they played the way they did on Thursday. If you think KC's offense, which isn't even that good was bad, wait till you face the Saints who are top 5 in offensive categories almost every single year.

If they go 0-2 then panic will set in. Changes will need to happen.

To your point, I fear they are going to get steamrolled next week.

It will be this coaching staffs best week of preparation if they are to win next week. It really will be.

lol until the Saints show they are no longer the worst pass defense in the league no clue how anyone could think it will steamroll a Brady led offense

Pats offense had a bad game and out of all the teams that played today it still scored more than all but 2.

lol until the Saints show they are no longer the worst pass defense in the league no clue how anyone could think it will steamroll a Brady led offense

Pats offense had a bad game and out of all the teams that played today it still scored more than all but 2.
His calendar is reading 2009.

The Patriots are currently 6 point favorites at New Orleans next week.

I don't think it's going to be an easy game, but it's possible that some of us are overreacting a bit.

Using terms like "19-0" a handful of days ago to suddenly going to be steamrolled at New Orleans without their WR2 seems like a bit of a stretch to me.

I don't think it's going to be an easy game, but it's possible that some of us are overreacting a bit.

Using terms like "19-0" a handful of days ago to suddenly going to be steamrolled at New Orleans without their WR2 seems like a bit of a stretch to me.

For me it due to quit factor. That tells me something stinks or did stink last week.

If that can be fumigated then they should be okay.

I expect an aggressive defense next week and the d line to stop the run.

Wouldn't we want the saints to win tomorrow? If they lose it would be two desperate teams trying to not go 0-2 to start the season.

Steamrolled? They got embarrassed by the chiefs! I would be shocked if that happened.

For me it due to quit factor. That tells me something stinks or did stink last week.

If that can be fumigated then they should be okay.
It was still a one point game with 9 min left. They were also dealing with injuries to Amendola and HT, not to mention the gimmicky stuff the Chiefs were doing.

I'd compare this game to the 2008 Wildcat loss, where the other team caught us off guard with motion, misdirection, option looks, direct snaps to the RB, and pure speed; and even then, it took them 51 minutes into the game to pull away. It wasn't like they were cooked from the gate, like the '08 game vs. Miami.

The biggest concern for me is what they do for the slot game, moving forward. I don't care what anyone else says. Those routes allow Brady to settle in, to feel comfortable, to get rid of the ball quickly, and to take advantage of pre-snap mismatches. We've seen the defense completely suck like in 2011, and yet they still made the SB and almost won. They can adjust on that side of the ball much easier than the other side, in my opinion.

We were not prepared. Not enough chemistry yet on offense and no answer for KC's. Still we moved the ball. 27 points and blown opportunites for more. Brady missed on some of those opportunities but people are freaking out about no TD passes but since when is it a negative that we called running plays to score on the goal line? It seems to me that is smart football. Sure it doesn't raise the qb rating but is that what it's all about? I think they will get better. People here over react to every play and series, let alone a game. Obviously they have things to work on. I have a feeling they are working on them and are indeed on to the Saints.

It was still a one point game with 9 min left. They were also dealing with injuries to Amendola and HT, not to mention the gimmicky stuff the Chiefs were doing.

I'd compare this game to the 2008 Wildcat loss, where the other team caught us off guard with motion, misdirection, option looks, direct snaps to the RB, and pure speed; and even then, it took them 51 minutes into the game to pull away. It wasn't like they were cooked from the gate, like the '08 game vs. Miami.

The biggest concern for me is what they do for the slot game, moving forward. I don't care what anyone else says. Those routes allow Brady to settle in, to feel comfortable, to get rid of the ball quickly, and to take advantage of pre-snap mismatches. We've seen the defense completely suck like in 2011, and yet they still made the SB and almost won. They can adjust on that side of the ball much easier than the other side, in my opinion.
Oh please dude you sound so ****y. It's called losing to the better team. The 2008 Patriots were not good, and the Ravens were better. The better team won. In this case the 2017 Patriots do not look good, and in the end the better team won, that's it. Stop with the damn excuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents