PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kony Ealy - bold prediction, won't make roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate tell everyone I told you so.....because i never did. Didnt see this one coming but op sure did. Good call sir.

You probably where one of those that was jumping for joy when ealy was brung here.

wrxg_f-maxage-0.gif

Sucks for Ealy but if you combine his history of inconsistency and add in the fact that the Panthers gave him away for nothing then it is not shocking at all that he couldnt make the team.

Relax. I was here beforehand under a different name. You probably where one of those that was jumping for joy when ealy was brung here.
I was. Why wouldn't you be? For next to nothing they got a shot to take a guy with potential who was the #1 DE on his team the last 2 years and see if he can fit in to what we do here

Why wouldn't any pats fan be excited about that, or crushed that it didn't work out?

Trade for another DE or OLB?? Perhaps Mykal Kendricks?

This sucks. Yeah I was right on this but I am still disappointed we wasted a 4th round equiv on this guy. Seems to have been a character issue and he just didn't have a buy-in to the system. This sucks because he was supposed to be part of the solution, like Long and Sheard. But you can't always find people who are willing to buy-in to our tough programme.

Hopefully we get some adequate replacement. DE position is a point of worry.

Seems to have been a character issue and he just didn't have a buy-in to the system.

I've seen this and even more damning speculation about Ealy from several posters. And yet this is part of what BB himself had to say yesterday in his conference call with the media:

“I do think he was making progress and getting better and was really working hard,” Belichick said on Saturday. “It's just one of those things that didn’t work out or wasn’t going to work out. It’s nobody’s fault. He worked hard. We worked hard. There was a lot of effort put in, but in the end we didn’t feel like this was going to work out. (The early cut) gives him an opportunity about a week ahead of next week to hopefully create a better opportunity for himself. I think he deserved that. He did everything we asked him to do. It just didn’t work out for either one of us like we hoped it would.”

Ahmad Brooks?

Possibly.

However, Brooks is scheduled to go to trial at the end of September for a misdemeanor sexual charge stemming from an incident at Ray McDonald's house in December 2014. This was the same incident (and same woman) for which McDonald was accused of rape (the woman was passed-out drunk). The criminal charges against McDonald were dismissed in April of this year when the victim refused to testify in court, although she settled her civil case out of court for a reported $100k.

Possibly.

However, Brooks is scheduled to go to trial at the end of September for a misdemeanor sexual charge stemming from an incident at Ray McDonald's house in December 2014. This was the same incident (and same woman) for which McDonald was accused of rape (the woman was passed-out drunk). The criminal charges against McDonald were dismissed in April of this year when the victim refused to testify in court, although she settled her civil case out of court for a reported $100k.
Oh wow, I was totally unaware of that. Welp, there goes that idea:rolleyes:

Oh wow, I was totally unaware of that. Welp, there goes that idea:rolleyes:

In terms of the role that Brooks has played (OLB/DE) and his consistently good production over the last three seasons since he turned 30, he seems like he'd be a good fit on a cheap, one-year deal.

Assuming that he's cleared, I could see the Pats bringing him in in October, depending on how things have evolved with the team by then. It seems to me there's a good chance at this point that McLellin ends up on IR-return (or even season-ending IR), so Brooks might be able to bolster that role if needed by then.

In terms of the role that Brooks has played (OLB/DE) and his consistently good production over the last three seasons since he turned 30, he seems like he'd be a good fit on a cheap, one-year deal.

Assuming that he's cleared, I could see the Pats bringing him in in October, depending on how things have evolved with the team by then. It seems to me there's a good chance at this point that McLellin ends up on IR-return (or even season-ending IR), so Brooks might be able to bolster that role if needed by then.
Why is Shea goings on IR? What is his malady?

This sucks. Yeah I was right on this but I am still disappointed we wasted a 4th round equiv on this guy. Seems to have been a character issue and he just didn't have a buy-in to the system. This sucks because he was supposed to be part of the solution, like Long and Sheard. But you can't always find people who are willing to buy-in to our tough programme.

Hopefully we get some adequate replacement. DE position is a point of worry.
Technically the reason you gave was he wouldn't be a cultural fit - not a on the field one.

While at some level that may be the case, the on -the-field reason was in Butler and Langi, he was beat out by younger, better players in this system. BB said he was improving but he has to project upside and clearly Ealy wasn't meeting that expectation

Why is Shea goings on IR? What is his malady?

I don't know that he is. I'm just speculating a possibility based on him not having practiced since the first week of Camp, AFAIK.

I'm not sure that his "injury" was ever disclosed. It might have been. But, with the media types going all "aaaOOOGAAA eyes" over all the rookies and stars during the first week of Camp, whatever it is may not have been well covered: "McLellin appears to have DID YOU SEE WHAT WISE JUST DID! OMFG!"

I'm just figuring that, if McLellin doesn't return to practice this week, he seems unlikely to be ready to play week-1, in which case, the Pats may have a decision to make, given all the other roster considerations. IR-return seems like one reasonable possibility, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe