PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kony Ealy - bold prediction, won't make roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
This.

A second source later appeared to confirm that the Pats had checked into Ealy's trade value "over the summer."

I see, so your point is that this is a stale story and events have progressed and perhaps he's out of the doghouse now. Could be. Let's see. I hope it's true. We definitely need the help.

I see, so your point is that this is a stale story and events have progressed and perhaps he's out of the doghouse now. Could be. Let's see. I hope it's true. We definitely need the help.

Over the past two games, Ealy seems to have passed at least Grissom in terms of ability to contribute defensively. OTOH, It seems to me that Adam Butler is now ahead of Ealy.

But then there's the ST factor. Lots of player situations up in the air right now.

From my perspective, the roster situation got murkier instead of clearer last night, even without accounting for Edelman's injury.

I think that the whole Kony Ealy thing is about BB trying to get into this guy's head to motivate him, a classic Pats Mind F...ck.

OTOH he was more noticeable last night..

Been wondering if BB hardballing Ealy do to contract issues? Where Patriots may wanna resign him for a amount and Ealy wont? So BB place him in the dog house untill this is solved IF solved? If you wont sign here for below market, we make sure you get a bad deal next time?

I think that the whole Kony Ealy thing is about BB trying to get into this guy's head to motivate him, a classic Pats Mind F...ck.

OTOH he was more noticeable last night..

A couple weeks ago, BB spoke at length (for him) about often having to breakdown a player's previously-learned technique and ingrained habits in order to build them back up from scratch with superior technique and more productive habits (especially with many rookies, I imagine). Think of it as removing all traces of Windows from your hard drive before installing Linux.

Anyway, it seems possible that Ealy is essentially going through the same ultra-thorough process that a rookie might. It's also possible that Rivera simply attempted to improve Ealy while skipping the first step and, thus, failed.

While the successes that Ealy has had the past two games may seem relatively minor to us, they may feel extremely encouraging to him. Hopefully, it's enough to get him to go all-in.

Is Butler really ahead of Ealy as an EDGE player (DE/OLB)?

Butler might make the roster a s developmental player (ditto Carr), but he seems to be a DT, with four DT's in front of him on the depth chart.

Over the past two games, Ealy seems to have passed at least Grissom in terms of ability to contribute defensively. OTOH, It seems to me that Adam Butler is now ahead of Ealy.

But then there's the ST factor. Lots of player situations up in the air right now.

From my perspective, the roster situation got murkier instead of clearer last night, even without accounting for Edelman's injury.

Butler might make the roster a s developmental player (ditto Carr), but he seems to be a DT, with four DT's in front of him on the depth chart.
Last night Chatham said Ealy was much better on the inside and 5 than outside Edge.

That puts him squarely in a battle with Butler

I'd just like to point out to people that we don't know what's actually happened behind the scenes. People assumed there was a problem, and there might have been. I know I first went down that road, based upon early 'reporting' that never got any follow up by the media. On the other hand, it might have been something that Ealy had to deal with regarding his family. Those of you who don't know what I'm talking about might want to take the time to do a bit of reading on Ealy's situation.

I see Butler as a "hybrid" DT/DE similar to Guy. In terms of length (6'4") and weight (~300 lbs), both seem closer to what might be considered a prototypical 3-4 DE than they are to the Pats' current stable of 4-3 DT/"undertackles". Valentine, Brown, Hamilton and Kilgo are all in that ~6'2"/~320 lb+ range (Augusta, at 6035/347, seems more like an NT/DT-type to me).

In any case, it seems to me that Butler has been lining up and rushing off the edge as often as he's been lining up and rushing from the interior for the past two games. He also seems more effective off the edge (against both the run and the pass) than either Ealy or Valentine have been.

At the moment, I'd say that Butler seems likely to get more snaps off the edge than Ealy if the season were to start tomorrow. In that limited sense, it seems to me that Butler is slightly ahead of Ealy, but not ahead of other DE/OLB types. This is not to say that Butler would necessarily take Ealy's potential roster spot. Valentine's spot? I'm not sure, honestly. Possibly. It may depend on whether or not McLellin (DE/OLB) is healthy enough to start the season.

Ultimately, Butler's value (and Valentine, and Guy's for that matter) is a situational thing, and depends on how BB/Patricia may determine how frequently the situations in which Butler could be highly-useful are likely to occur and against which opposing offenses.

BTW - I don't at all think that Guy's spot is at risk from Butler. I think it's more a question of redundancies and versatility (Guy + Butler + Brown versus Guy + Valentine + Brown). I have no idea which way BB and Patricia might want to go on that.

Getting reports he's been released.

I wish some people here would admit they where wrong on ealy! Everyone was saying how great this was when it happened. I didn't like the deal at all but whateva. The guy's career has been nothing short of a dissapointment. Someone will give him a look for sure.

BB is human after all :rolleyes:

Nailed it, good call.

I wish some people here would admit they where wrong on ealy!

You have been posting on this forum a week. From what I have seen it has not been overly impressive. Nobody here has to admit anything to you.

Good job, I was pretty wrong about this.

I wish some people here would admit they where wrong on ealy! Everyone was saying how great this was when it happened. I didn't like the deal at all but whateva. The guy's career has been nothing short of a dissapointment. Someone will give him a look for sure.

It'll be interesting to see if someone claims him or if all other 30 teams wait until after cutdowns.

You have been posting on this forum a week. From what I have seen it has not been overly impressive. Nobody here has to admit anything to you.

Relax. I was here beforehand under a different name. You probably where one of those that was jumping for joy when ealy was brung here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe