PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kirk Cousins to Jets?

Is this "ScottishPatriots" guy a Jets fan and troll? Not sure how comfortable I feel if someone is from Scotland trying to lecture me about the Jets being a threat and the Pats in a situation of pending doom.
I know, I took the bait. He's not gonna ruin my day.

Also they have a crap offensive line, no running game, etc.

In other words, picking up Cousins would be a perfect Jete move!

Looking forward to the first picture with Joe Namath and Kirk Cousins titled "Kissing Cousins"!

tenor.gif

lmao

Exactly. The Jets are the people that want to put rims on a 10 year old Honda Accord.

They're also delusional.

If anything, the quick ascension and jealous of what Philly just did, will mislead their temambuilding approach yet again. They have "cap space", but if they do sign Cousins, and all the spotlights on him at 30 mil per, that "cap space" will disappear REALLY quick.

lmao

Exactly. The Jets are the people that want to put rims on a 10 year old Honda Accord.

They're also delusional.

If anything, the quick ascension and jealous of what Philly just did, will mislead their temambuilding approach yet again. They have "cap space", but if they do sign Cousins, and all the spotlights on him at 30 mil per, that "cap space" will disappear REALLY quick.

I dunno, man, looks pretty sweet to me. :p
hs60.jpg

The Jets purged themselves of a ton of dead weight last off-season. They need to draft a quarterback with the pick they have and have him on a rookie salary for a while and build up the rest of the team around him. Cousins would be a no-brainer improvement over anything they have right now, but they’re not built to win in 2018. Signing Cousins ******s what they were trying to get started in 2017. Further, if I’m Cousins, I’d want to go to either Jacksonville or Denver. Both should have the cap to sign him and put him in better positions to win now.

Are the tampering rules not in effect anymore? Can a franchise now make offers thru the press before the legal tampering period? Of course it is the NYFL.

They will have the best QB in the conference when Brady retires.
I don't like any move strengthening a rival.

We have very different opinions of Cousins. I see him as a 2nd tier guy. While he would improve the Jets he'd be doing it at a cap busting level. Things are seriously out of whack when an above average QB like Kirk F Cousins is the one $etting the bar. Don't misunderstand me, I am not saying he is a bum by any means. In fact I admire that he has consistently been willing to bet on himself, all the more so because he won. But that doesn't change the fact that I don't see him as a top tier guy and they are the ones that should be driving the bu$ when it comes to the % of cap space future QB contracts eat up.

Even if Cousins is middle of the pack QB, with the other assets left, a team in a position like the Jets could build a team good enough to threaten the Pats next year. Injuries make such a difference in how the dice fall.

But this isn't a team in the same position as the Jets. Its the Jets.

The Jets purged themselves of a ton of dead weight last off-season. They need to draft a quarterback with the pick they have and have him on a rookie salary for a while and build up the rest of the team around him. Cousins would be a no-brainer improvement over anything they have right now, but they’re not built to win in 2018. Signing Cousins ******s what they were trying to get started in 2017. Further, if I’m Cousins, I’d want to go to either Jacksonville or Denver. Both should have the cap to sign him and put him in better positions to win now.
I would add Buffalo to the list as well.

Not crapping my pants just stating the obvious.
"They will have the best QB in the conference when Brady retires" is not the obvious, it presumes so many things that may or may not happen in a certain way.
Best move for the Jets then they can use their picks to move around and fill in other positions.
Vs drafting a crapshoot of QBs.
They may even be able to trade up for Barkley.
Which would be gross.
But knowing the Jets they will go after D line.
Knowing the Jete they will see the Jints with the 2nd pick grabbing a 'name' QB and will grab a QB in response, and get it wrong.

Last edited:

Elway will enter the bidding, which is great news for us. Wherever Cousins goes, that AFC team will be handicapped for years.

In fact, any of these teams paying a Cousins, McCarron or Foles 27+ ,mil per will be in a negative position, not a positive one.

The only reason the Brees, Ben types can justify their high price tags, is because they have rings.

Even then, it's questionable as we've seen.

They'll get 6 to 10 wins a year.

please please please let the jets commit 30 mil a year to the QB.

We have very different opinions of Cousins. I see him as a 2nd tier guy. While he would improve the Jets he'd be doing it at a cap busting level. Things are seriously out of whack when an above average QB like Kirk F Cousins is the one $etting the bar. Don't misunderstand me, I am not saying he is a bum by any means. In fact I admire that he has consistently been willing to bet on himself, all the more so because he won. But that doesn't change the fact that I don't see him as a top tier guy and they are the ones that should be driving the bu$ when it comes to the % of cap space future QB contracts eat up.

Correct. See a white hot Flacco in the 2012 postseason sending this current market to where it is, the bulge of lack of quality QBs in an offensive league, and now that allowing Cousins to channel his inner Flacco.

The bottom line is, the Skins should have paid Cousins almost immediately once they calculated RG3 was a bust, which I knew before he was even drafted in the first place.

They could have had Cousins probably 2 years ago at about 15 mil per and he would have taken it.

Now, he's at double that price, which is clearly preposterous.

The beautiful part of the Jets and Horseteeth's stupidity with the cap will be a blessing for the Pats.

The loser of the Cousins sweepstakes will then move to Foles or McCcaron. I guess it sort of depends who signs where, first.

The beautiful part of the Jets and Horseteeth's stupidity with the cap will be a blessing for the Pats.

The loser of the Cousins sweepstakes will then move to Foles or McCcaron. I guess it sort of depends who signs where, first.

i don’t think foles gets traded until wentz is 100% recovered.

They will have the best QB in the conference when Brady retires.
I don't like any move strengthening a rival.
That being said I'd rather watch Elway chase and oveypay aj Mccarron or trade the farm for Foles.
My difficulty is this it's hard to hate these Jets
Bowles seems like a good guy the players that were a big part of the rivalry aren't there anymore they have some great building blocks on defense.
I might go as far to say this current Jet squad is the least hated Team by me in the division.
Mark my words Brady will still be at the top of his game when this blows up in the Jete's face. Cousins can't fix that dumpster fire anymore than he can fix the dysfunctional Skins. He would be wise to find a stable franchise.

The right strategy would have been to get the offense built first, then build the defense. The Jete should have known Gee-No! was never going to be a franchise QB and dumped his ass / tanked a long time ago and done "whatever it takes" to get a franchise QB and OL built, as you said using rookie contracts as much as possible.

They should also have seen that young high pick DLs mature fast and don't last too long before they expect to get paid huge amounts of money, and when they don't, they become malcontents. Now, they've spent a lot of draft capital on D talent that has mostly moved on, and they have nothing to speak of on offense.

McKown did them no favors by winning a few games. They're faced with having to trade ridiculous amounts of draft capital to move up a few spots to get a QB with real potential, or having to spend something like $30mm/year on someone like Cousins. I would say they'd have to get lucky drafting QBs, but it was Macca who drafted Petty and Hackenberg and passed on Watson and Mahomes so it seems they have no idea of what they are doing when it comes to drafting QBs.

Their choice of D-oriented coaches (first Toe Sucker and now Blowes) shows they favor D over O, which is not really the right choice in today's NFL, IMHO.

SOFJ!

i don’t think foles gets traded until wentz is 100% recovered.

I think it depends on the deal and why shouldn't Philly deal him and then go prospect to develop behind Wentz?

At the end of the day, Wentz should consider scaling back his running, but I wouldn't wait for Foles and his stock to drop if I am Philly. If he starts the year and he looks bad?

Too much risk. If they need to sign some cheap back up QB, too, go that route.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back