PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kaepernick ..... Tryout Edition

Presuming no money issue, the question is whether Kaep would be more value to the patriots than Kessler. How many out there really think that Kessler is more valuable?

Exactly. You see no one is going to sign him this late in the season even if he's spectacular on Saturday. This is all to set him up for next season. But HERE he could actually have a role that means something. He gets to get back faster into the league with a winning team, improve his skills and perhaps even get a ring. We play a lot of teams who have "mobile" QB's coming up. He could actually be of help.

24 teams now. Goodell's been free with the bribes and threats, then.

How many teams have even brought him in for a visit since he opted out of his last contract? Quite the leap in teams “interested”..

You make presumptions. It is just as likely that the owners are obeying their top owners and making a good show. The cost is really minimal. Every team has a scout in the area.

You make presumptions.
Sure, but.....

It is just as likely that the owners are obeying their top owners and making a good show. The cost is really minimal. Every team has a scout in the area.

so do you. And history (See Sam, Michael) is on my side with this.

I don't really see the point in bringing someone like Kaep in because our offensive infrastructure would not really work much to emphasise his strengths.

If memory serves right he is somewhere around LJ in terms of passing accuracy or maybe even worse. So there is zero carry-over between the Brady and the Kaepernick offense. This lack of synergy just makes the entire idea a dud to me.

He can be a good backup at a place that has a similar QB1 and system in place where he can play to his strengths.

The real question to me is why would Greg Roman not advocate for Kaep to be the backup in Baltimore and rather accept RG3 instead. Kaep had his best moments under Roman.

After this post, the thread could be locked. This pretty much says everything that’s useful to say on the topic.

We don't have the cap to sign Cap.

However, I'm confused by some of the responses.

If Brady were injured say 3 weeks, would you

1) rather have Stidham start,

2) rather have Kessler start,

3) rather have Cap start,

4) don't care, because when Brady is injured, it no longer matters to you who is the quarterback.

Stidham or Kessler. They've been taking the reps all season for exactly that reason. Kaep would be starting from scratch and is too old to be thought of as a long term solution.

How many teams have even brought him in for a visit since he opted out of his last contract? Quite the leap in teams “interested”..

If I didn't know better I'd say that seems just a tad cynical :rolleyes:

again wtf is a cody kessler

okay I'm just showing my ignance now, to the google machine.

Wow, we will CRUSH Fresno State with this guy :D

again wtf is a cody kessler

okay I'm just showing my ignance now, to the google machine.

Brady is at practice less then previous years. That means Stidham has less time working as scout QB and with lesser important WR's. Kessler is picking up the slack in that area. They may also want Stidham to spend more time throwing to Edelman, Sanu, Dorsett, White etc. instead of Devin Ross.

Last edited:
Agree he'd be useful running scout team vs mobile QBs like Lamar, etc. and taking reps to spell the old coot
Would he be happy doing this role for a low cap hit? ...I think not
Is that mobility, etc. role worth the 53rd spot? ...Maybe

Agree he'd be useful running scout team vs mobile QBs like Lamar, etc. and taking reps to spell the old coot

Yeah...I think it's a good idea to have him on the team as scout QB for those scenarios. Would he be willing to do only that? Get paid for several years....even on the PS at an elevated price for that purpose only. I wouldn't mind that as long as he never sees the playing field on game day.

On second thought he is probably not eligible for PS

If active game day rosters are expanded with a new CBA...I think all or most teams should have such a player for scouting purposes.

Last edited:

Respectfully no. And I think some of the " run the scout team" angle is an overreaction to the Raven loss.

Respectfully no. And I think some of the " run the scout team" angle is an overreaction to the Raven loss.

I think the Patriots have always mimicked the QB of their next opponent. Why would you not try to be prepared for that?

I think the Patriots have always mimicked the QB of their next opponent. Why would you not try to be prepared for that?

Sure but we're not talking about the next QB. We're talking about a uniquely gifted QB the Pats have already lost to.

If we're truly concerned about facing a fast mobile QB in the future then get Mariota. He's faster than Kaep and is still in the league. :D

But the reality is that Jackson was an aberration. The D was not ready for his speed and more importantly not ready for his cat like quickness. :D

The Pats now have the experience of facing him which will help them prepare for the next time. Kaep is not going to mimic Jackson's speed or quickness so it seems like a wasted roster spot to me.

This whole thing is strange.

Absolutely but strange can often be entertaining.
Tell me it wouldn't be awesome if he really did bring in AB, Dez and TO as the WR's for that workout.

200.gif

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News