PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kaepernick ..... Tryout Edition

I think the Patriots have always mimicked the QB of their next opponent. Why would you not try to be prepared for that?

If the Patriots have always done that then why would you think they all of a sudden stopped? Or that the only way to mimic a mobile QB is to get a has been that hasn’t played in almost 3 years.

This whole thing is strange.
Yes it’s very strange. The guy has been available for years. Bringing in a QB mid season is a last option. He was available all year to go through a training camp and learn the playbook. And nobody wanted him with those advantages.
Now I guess I’m supposed to believe with no training camp, tons of teams are interested? And better yet, with a mid season dog and pony show arranged by Jay-Z coaches are salivating over him. As if that doesn’t sound like a diva move anyway.

There’s a lot of NFL prospects a lot better than Kaepernick and none have ever tried to arrange a mid season side show “Workout” because they know the entire NFL would laugh at the idea and never show up.

But we are supposed to believe this guy is just such an unbelievable prospect that everyone is taking it seriously? Even though there’s been no interest the last 30 months.

Last edited:
I think the Patriots have always mimicked the QB of their next opponent. Why would you not try to be prepared for that?

They've played both fast and mobile QBs before. Did they go around burning roster spots to bring in Kaepernick back then?

Rational argument against K on 53 ^^^

They've played both fast and mobile QBs before. Did they go around burning roster spots to bring in Kaepernick back then?

Nope...they didn't do that before

Nope...they didn't do that before

Obviously the argument that they've seen mobile QBs before and therefore don't need to mimick one in practice is stupid. They've seen nothing like Lamar Jackson and he killed us. It wouldn't hurt to have a Kaepernick type player on the practice team.

Last edited:
Obviously the argument that they've seen mobile QBs before and therefore don't need to mimick one in practice is stupid. They've seen nothing like Lamar Jackson and he killed us.

Obviously the notion that Kaepernick is the same as Lamar Jackson is stupid, as Kaepernick doesn't have anything like the quicks of Jackson. Also, obviously, the patriots used fast players in an attempt to mimic Jackson, including one of Jackson's former teammates, and that didn't lead to the shutting down of Lamar Jackson. So what's your point here?

If you want to mimic Lamar Jackson, you bring in Michael Vick in his physical prime. Nobody else is going to work.

OK, NE isn't the best fit for Kaep.

Of course, that isn't the issue.

The league has banned him for 2 1/2 season. IMHO, Kaep was better than lots of the backups in 2018; in 2019 and now. Now owner dared sign him. Now the lawsuit, and time, has put a slightly different light on this.

OK, NE isn't the best fit for Kaep.

Of course, that isn't the issue.

The league has banned him for 2 1/2 season. IMHO, Kaep was better than lots of the backups in 2018; in 2019 and now. Now owner dared sign him. Now the lawsuit, and time, has put a slightly different light on this.

Do please explain...

Obviously the argument that they've seen mobile QBs before and therefore don't need to mimick one in practice is stupid. They've seen nothing like Lamar Jackson and he killed us. It wouldn't hurt to have a Kaepernick type player on the practice team.

Jackson is a highly unique QB. I like the idea of having someone on the team that can somewhat mimic his play style. Is it worth burning a player on the 53 for possibly 0-2 wins per season ? It's a lot to ask the defense to morph into playing an RPO style defense. We're very successful playing OUR brand of defense while also being able to do so many different things. I'd rather the defense focus on what they are excelling at then trying to learn a new bag of tricks. If Bill feels Kaep is more valuable at QB3 then Kessler....I'm ok with that...especially if rosters are expanded with a new CBA.

I realize I went in a few different directions with QB and D....oh well.

Jackson is a highly unique QB. I like the idea of having someone on the team that can somewhat mimic his play style. Is it worth burning a player on the 53 for possibly 0-2 wins per season ? It's a lot to ask the defense to morph into playing an RPO style defense. We're very successful playing OUR brand of defense while also being able to do so many different things. I'd rather the defense focus on what they are excelling at then trying to learn a new bag of tricks. If Bill feels Kaep is more valuable at QB3 then Kessler....I'm ok with that...especially if rosters are expanded with a new CBA.

Kap has a unique running style, at least he did a few years ago. Is he going to mimic Lamar Jackson 100%? Obviously not. If he were that good, he'd still be in the league. He did have a very good scrambling ability. It may not be perfect but he'd sure do a better job mimicking Jackson than Cody Kessler, if Bill is looking to improve our scout team. I think the Pats could use anyone who has the ability to scramble in the pocket.

Kap has a unique running style, at least he did a few years ago. Is he going to mimic Lamar Jackson 100%? Obviously not. If he were that good, he'd still be in the league. He did have a very good scrambling ability. It may not be perfect but he'd sure do a better job mimicking Jackson than Cody Kessler, if Bill is looking to improve our scout team. I think the Pats could use anyone who has the ability to scramble in the pocket.

I doubt Kessler was doing any LJ impression on the scout team. It was most probably one of the speedy young DBs.

Also if you dont think any of the DBs can simulate LJs running somewhat then you can bring someone else on for the scout team at any point in the postseason when we actually face the Ravens which is far from a given.

Now is not the time for that. The Ravens are in back rear mirror until we actually end up playing them again.

Do please explain...

BEST FIT
I have agreed that Kaep would be a good pickup for the patriots, to replace Kessler. I do just don't believe that he is the patriots is the BEST fit for him. There are several offenses where cap might step in a few games, if the starter is down. And, yes, there are several teams that would do well to sign Kaep to a 3 year deal as a backup, who could compete to start.

And yes, I guess we should mention the elephant in the room. Many patriot fans strongly prefer Kraft's politics to Kaep's and would be apoplectic at the idea of the team hiring someone that protests.

In any case, it SEEMS that the law suit gave impetus to today's activities. Perhaps, the "tryout" was required by the lawsuit.
====
MY BOTTOM LINE is
that Kraft may cooperate, but I don't think that he will be the one to appease the league and sign him and deal with the protests in Boston against such action. Other teams, have much better reasons to sign Kaep, and much less risk.

Consider Seattle. Seattle fans won't go crazy with Kaep on the team. Consider the chargers. Perhaps, even SF. Note that these are West coast teams. Obviously, fan reaction would be much different in the South or in South Boston (even if team leaders welcome him with open arms, and advocate for signing him).

BEST FIT
I have agreed that Kaep would be a good pickup for the patriots, to replace Kessler. I do just don't believe that he is the patriots is the BEST fit for him. There are several offenses where cap might step in a few games, if the starter is down. And, yes, there are several teams that would do well to sign Kaep to a 3 year deal as a backup, who could compete to start.

And yes, I guess we should mention the elephant in the room. Many patriot fans strongly prefer Kraft's politics to Kaep's and would be apoplectic at the idea of the team hiring someone that protests.

In any case, it SEEMS that the law suit gave impetus to today's activities. Perhaps, the "tryout" was required by the lawsuit.
====
MY BOTTOM LINE is
that Kraft may cooperate, but I don't think that he will be the one to appease the league and sign him and deal with the protests in Boston against such action. Other teams, have much better reasons to sign Kaep, and much less risk.

Consider Seattle. Seattle fans won't go crazy with Kaep on the team. Consider the chargers. Perhaps, even SF. Note that these are West coast teams. Obviously, fan reaction would be much different in the South or in South Boston (even if team leaders welcome him with open arms, and advocate for signing him).

But the league-wide tryout was always possible. All it would have taken is the same thing it's taking this time, which is the league being behind the arm twisting. That is, in fact, one of the reasons some people are calling this a sham.

Would you oppose bringing in Mariota? Because in my opinion that's basically a faster version of Kaep. Both played the RPO and both were benched for their ineffectiveness.

Would you oppose bringing in Mariota? Because in my opinion that's basically a faster version of Kaep. Both played the RPO and both were benched for their ineffectiveness.

IMO Kaep is a more athletic and dynamic player then Mariota.

It may not be perfect but he'd sure do a better job mimicking Jackson than Cody Kessler

Again, how do you know this? Kaepernick hasn't played in three years. You have no idea if he can even jog quickly.

I wouldn’t get too worked up about it, considering the odds are Jackson will be greatly diminished or out of the league in three years.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Back