PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jordan Richards

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will never forgive BB for that as I saw that coming, that dude was not reliable fielding punts, a rookie playing in the snow, that was a recipe for a disaster.

I am sure BB is sad about this when he sails around on VI Rings. Also I like how you have a better grasp who is reliable catching punts without being present for a single practice.

I think Tavon has been a starter ever since he left - he could not have been that bad while here.

He was that bad while he was here. Really, he was even worse than "that bad".

McCourty is right there too. Your pic is after Schuster past McCourty. Can't cherry pick the pic, just like we should not cherry pick text messsges, does not tell the whole story. Please look at the whole play. I think McCourty missed Schuster just like Richards did.

McCourty was taken out of the play by... whatever that was that Richards was trying to do.

He plays 23% of the defensive snaps and 65% (highest on the team) on ST. He's probably got a bigger role on D than he should due to injuries to LB's forcing more deep DB formations, but that's who he is. Bear in mind, despite this "terrible" player (and I'm not quoting that because I necessarily disagree, just that I don't find it nearly as cut and dry based on the criteria usually presented), playing nearly a quarter of the defensive snaps, this D still allows the 6th fewest points in the league. You'd think as big a liability as he's presented to be here that teams would be chucking up huge plays every time he's out there, but they're clearly not.

He's an improvable piece on D, and a core special teamer. I can't really drudge up a ton of outrage about him to be honest.

Jake bequette outplayed richards in his time here, just by sitting on the bench

tenor.gif

Is the problem here that the Patriots have a bad #4 safety, or that they have a #4 safety of typical #4 safety quality but are using him more than other teams use their #4 safety?

I hated the pick when it was made but I gave BB the benefit of the doubt. Since he was selected, I have not been a Richards basher and I hoped he would evolve in to something productive. Unfortunately, athletes are frequently held to the standards of where they were drafted and this is certainly the case for Richards.
The last two weeks have shown me that he plays without much body control/discipline. The sack he whiffed on last week and the poor angle and attempted tackle yesterday that should have cost us the game, demonstrate his lack of body control.

His increased role is due to injuries but I don't see a lot of growth and development from the player since he got here. As a second round pick, he should be delivering more.

Is the problem here that the Patriots have a bad #4 safety, or that they have a #4 safety of typical #4 safety quality but are using him more than other teams use their #4 safety?

The problem is that, given the way the Patriots have decided to play defense in recent years, Richards is not really good enough for his slotting. The Patriots should have invested more into upgrading there, and Richards was an overdraft in the first place.

what is his contract?

Lol! Its really telling when everyone here unanimously think hes garbage . Normally youll get at least 1 or 2 ppl trying to be optimistic or defend the guy or youll see at least 1 dislike/disagree on some of the posts trashing him, nope lmao

Need more of an answer ?

This is actually a terribly deceptive picture. By that time, a shove by the blocker was already sending Richards to the ground, so he had no legitimate chance of making the sideline tackle.

By contrast, McCourty had a perfect opportunity to shove Juju out of bounds and inexplicably he took an odd angle and slowed up. There is no question that Devin made the more egregious error on that play.

It seems likely that Richards was out of position, which contributed to both players' failings. But it wasn't just him this time and certainly not as clear cut as the pic appears.

Last edited:
This is actually a terribly deceptive picture. By that time, a shove by the blocker was already sending Richards to the ground, so he had no legitimate chance of making the sideline tackle.

By contrast, McCourty had a perfect opportunity to shove Juju out of bounds and inexplicably he took an odd angle and slowed up. There is no question that Devin made the more egregious error on that play.

It seems likely that Richards was out of position, which contributed to both players' failings. But it wasn't just him this time and certainly not as clear cut as the pic appears.
What in the world is deceptive about the picture?Ok here is the video. Richards is not a football player at the NFL level skill wise. He may be good at running down for special teams, but just an accident waiting to happen. That accident was nearly realized yesterday.

What in the world is deceptive about the picture?Ok here is the video. Richards is not a football player at the NFL level skill wise. He may be good at running down for special teams, but just an accident waiting to happen. That accident was nearly realized yesterday.

The picture makes it look like he was just waiting there and whiffed when that's not at all what happened... as the video clearly indicates.

The picture makes it look like he was just waiting there and whiffed when that's not at all what happened... as the video clearly indicates.

You have to admit though that it was a really well designed play. "After the catch pretend that you are trying to run out of bounds to stop the clock. Then the players will assume that they want to try to tackle you before going out of bounds, which will cause the two safeties to collide - with help from the running back - and leave the field clear for a long run.". Although Richards made a bad attempt at a tackle, also think this was somewhat of a fluke play because of the situation.

I think Tavon has been a starter ever since he left - he could not have been that bad while here.

It looked to me like Rowe was picked, and I also think McCourty was involved in that missed sideline tackle of Schuster. Why does everyone pile on Richards and no-one mentions McCourty?
He was named team captain too.

As others have said , he’s not that good. Yes he’ll make a good play once in a while but a broken clock is correct twice a day too. It’s consistency that we need from him. The same goes for Roberts.

Lol! Its really telling when everyone here unanimously think hes garbage . Normally youll get at least 1 or 2 ppl trying to be optimistic or defend the guy or youll see at least 1 dislike/disagree on some of the posts trashing him, nope lmao
Agreed. It might be the first Patsfans.com unanimous decision of a player's suckage ever recorded. :D LOL

You have to admit though that it was a really well designed play. "After the catch pretend that you are trying to run out of bounds to stop the clock. Then the players will assume that they want to try to tackle you before going out of bounds, which will cause the two safeties to collide - with help from the running back - and leave the field clear for a long run.". Although Richards made a bad attempt at a tackle, also think this was somewhat of a fluke play because of the situation.

I'm not sure how much was designed, but Richards' poor positioning certainly didn't help things. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe