PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jordan Richards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Allow me to correct an earlier error. I watched the play numerous times before, but I watched it again slowed down and it became clear that Richards wasn't off balance due to being shoved by receiver. The arm I kept seeing actually was hitting McCourty.

I still think the picture is misleading in the sense that the whiff didn't occur as it insinuated. Instead, his poor positioning made a hapless lunge the only possible outcome. Either way, it was completely on him and his error was worse than McCourty's.

Despite this change, I still think Devin deserves a significant portion of the blame... just a smaller slice than I said earlier. :)

EDIT: See, this is exactly what I mean.

A new nickname.

"Glitch."

By the time Richards took McCourty out, a tackle was already impossible. It was his own mistakes that caused Devin to miss his chance to shove Juju out of bounds.

Last edited:
The thing about Richards is this:

IF the Pats had had a REALISTIC opportunity to acquire a reserve/rotational safety who would have been superior to Richards for 2017, they'd have done so. Apparently, they didn't have a realistic opportunity.

So, it is what it is - for now.

Until such time - in 2018 - that they're realistically able to replace Richards with a superior player (or potentially superior rookie prospect), they're likely to be keeping him and his $1.18M cap 2018 hit. There's only a net immediate cap savings of $940k if he's cut next season - but then you have to subtract the cap hit of the guy who replaces him ($480k minimum) for net-net savings of a mere $460k (or less).

The guy's out there, he's trying...staying healthy. Made some tackles this year. Bill seems to like him...hasn't been arrested or suspended or anything. (I'm sorry, I'm trying.)

He has stepped in for Ebner as the Personal Protector on the Punting unit and Allen hasn't been touched.. That's important.

I'll say this, Jordan Richards is playing chess while everybody else is playing ping pong. He knew that the steelers would get into field goal range and he let all this happen to have the end result of a interception.

We should be thanking him, the guy is a football genius!

The problem is that, given the way the Patriots have decided to play defense in recent years, Richards is not really good enough for his slotting. The Patriots should have invested more into upgrading there, and Richards was an overdraft in the first place.
I want the scouts name that wanted Richards.

Not quite as catchy as "Big Bang Clock", but easier to type.

I like it!

I'm visualizing Richards as Milton from Office Space. He was actually cut 2 seasons ago, but no one bothered to tell him. Probably would have threatened to set the stadium on fire. The Patriots need to bring in the Bobs to tell them to fix the glitch.

Bill Belichick
I was afraid that was true.
I was hoping all the good he poured on about Richards and competition and this and that was trying to not throw that scout under the bus.

I'll say this, Jordan Richards is playing chess while everybody else is playing ping pong. He knew that the steelers would get into field goal range and he let all this happen to have the end result of a interception.

We should be thanking him, the guy is a football genius!

I seriously thought about the destiny of this game and what would have happened if he pushed juju out around midfield. The steelers had plenty of time and almost certainly wouldve gotten a fg out of it, where in ot its anyones game. In the funniest way, this play set off a crazy sequence that led to us winning in regulation.

Dont get me wrong, richards is still f***ing useless. But its all pretty ironic lol

Last edited:
Perhaps Richards shouldn't be playing defense. He is worth the roster spot as a STer.
Apparently, Patricia favors him on defense over lots of other choices.

While I realize smarts count a bit more for BB coached teams; I don't think they count this much.

He simply doesn't have either the athletic ability in quickness and speed nor the quick twitch reaction time necessary to be an impactful defensive player.

Seemingly he does well in ST roles - guess we just have to be happy with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes