PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

John Lynch signs with Pats (Confirmed by Schefter)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: John Lynch signs with Pats

Exactly - I would lock this until we hear one way or the other if he becomes a Patriot or not

Why lock it?

is there a problem with the discussion continueing.

IMO and I am not the ones running the sight who have to deal with the maintanance but IMO I would not lock a thread unless things get ugly and offensive. I mean what is wrong with this thread being open maybe a title change would be good but I am sure there is still plenty to discuss here.

Why lock it?

is there a problem with the discussion continueing.

IMO and I am not the ones running the sight who have to deal with the maintanance but IMO I would not lock a thread unless things get ugly and offensive. I mean what is wrong with this thread being open maybe a title change would be good but I am sure there is still plenty to discuss here.

Yeah,I guess discussing it is fine as long as people stop using post-signing in their discussion such as "Now,I can understand why BB decided to join him on the team"

Yeah,I guess discussing it is fine as long as people stop using post-signing in their discussion such as "Now,I can understand why BB decided to join him on the team"

Well, I understand why BB decided to have him join the team. Anyone else? ;)

Ya know I understand your skepticism and it's possible that it won't work out, but Bill was a little revealing in his comments (and this is copied directly from what Reiss posted):

"I know there are some reports out there about John Lynch. I can tell you that I met with John yesterday. He came in, we talked, he took a physical, but right now he's not under contract with the Patriots. So until he is, I wouldn't have any further comment on that other than what I just said -- that he was here. If and when that happens, then we'll address it. But until then, I really don't have any other comment on it."

Anyway, It's fun to speculate and I hope it works out.

Plus, I'm racking up some posts today, so I'm diggin' the Lynch talk.

Last edited:

i think that we play denver this year is one of the main reasons for signing him. we always seem to lose to denver so BB probably picked lynch up to pick his brians.

Denver shouldn't scare anybody this year.

Re: John Lynch signs with Pats? (Unconfirmed)

The title looks great now - Thanks mods

It was just confirmed on ESPN radio - Trent Dilfer is reporting that Lynch has signed.

Who will be cut...any ideas??? I am thinking maybe Dillard...definitely NOT an OL...not now..

Who will be cut...any ideas??? I am thinking maybe Dillard...definitely NOT an OL...not now..

Could one of the missing be headed to IR?

How could anyone not like this signing? This guy is tough and smart. They said Rodney was done when he came to the Patriots in 2003......5 years later he is still a starter. If Lynch contributes to just add depth to the position it is a win for the Pats.

Well, interesting.

He had ~60 tackles last year, so he wasn't totally over the hill then. It's interesting the comments that the Pats have had recent interest in him. That was when he was 32, not 36.

My concern is that he can't really play special teams, and would consume a back-up safety role without offering that. Obviously Spann, Ventrone, and Slater (if you call him a safety) can. And other guys for roster spots that he would essentially compete with - Aiken, Izzo, Guyton, Redd, Washington - would offer special teams capabilities.

But he would provide good insurance in case of a Rodney injury.

I'll await something official. Not delighted if true, but I guess it's generally an improvement.

I guess that this signing MIGHT finally have some legitimacy.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_10202571
John Lynch and the Broncos are to be united again.

This time, it will be on a Monday Night Football game, Oct. 20, at Gillette Stadium, where the Broncos will play Lynch's new team, the New England Patriots.

Bill Belichick, the Patriots' head coach, addressed the Lynch situation at his press conference Thursday. Belichick confirmed he met with Lynch on Wednesday and that the 16th year NFL safety took a physical. All that remains is Lynch's signature on his contract.

"It doesn't surprise me,'' said Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey. "The Patriots always have a role for veteran players.''

Lynch, 36, played the previous four seasons as the Broncos' free safety but asked for his release five days into training camp. In doing so, Lynch walked away from a one-year, $2 million contract that would have guaranteed him $500,000 even if he was cut.

Reduced playing time - Lynch was told he would come out in nickel and packages - was one reason why the veteran safety wanted out, but he also may have been concerned about the Broncos more pronounced movement towards younger players.

In recent years, Lynch has frequently talked glowingly about how the Patriots have set the NFL standard for success. Like the Oakland Raiders of the 1980s, the Patriots have not been shy about acquiring aging players who were once considered among the best at their position. Last season, the Patriots started safety Rodney Harrison and linebacker Junior Seau.

Harrison is still with the Patriots so there's a chance Lynch, a nine-time Pro Bowler at safety, would be used in a linebacker-type role.

"He still hits like a linebacker,'' Bailey said.

My opinion on Lynch is that he is a FOOTBALL PLAYER. I don't think he ever had significant skills other than the brain, mentality and effort of a true football player. And he made that work at an All-Pro level for a long time.
Those type of guys have always seem to hold value on a BB team. (Rodney is the obvious example) I think that BB feels that he can find a spot for that type of guy to contribute to his team, and I think he is correct.
I don't know what kind of role Lynch will play but my guess is that if you took the consensus answers of how big his role will be and how effective he will be in it, the results will be somewhat greater.
It has been said that one of BBs strengths in his defensive philosophy is being able to use players strengths and not expose their weaknesses. I think more than x and o, its the type of player he puts on the field, and the level of intelligence, effort and drive. Lynch the guy seems to fit that, even while Lynch the safety and his skillset seem questionable.

Interesting thread. I'm having trouble seeing any downside to this. As others have said, the guy is flat out a player and the one thing I rarely if ever worry about with this team is the staff's ability to evaluate veterans. If they think there is gas in the tank, great.

I hope it gets confirmed soon.

I hope it gets confirmed soon.

It is on the ESPN crawl now (at least I think I saw it). Take that for what it is worth.

i dont believe he is signed i cant confirm this anywhere, looks like a troll is making things up

ESPN just confirmed it on NFL Live. Good call there.

I think this will be a very useful signing.

Last edited:

Yes,I believe it is confirmed as reported on Sirius right now

John Lynch is a Patriot - Great News!!

The down side is the skills of the guy who would be cut to keep him, as Urgent says:

My concern is that he can't really play special teams, and would consume a back-up safety role without offering that. Obviously Spann, Ventrone, and Slater (if you call him a safety) can. And other guys for roster spots that he would essentially compete with - Aiken, Izzo, Guyton, Redd, Washington - would offer special teams capabilities.

But he would provide good insurance in case of a Rodney injury.

If BB decides his skills are more valuable than a guy like Ventrone's, who am I to argue? So far he has at most only decided to give him a look.

Last edited:

Yes,I believe it is confirmed as reported on Sirius right now

So I get to change the thread title for the fourth time? I'm going conservative on this one...:p

So I get to change the thread title for the fourth time? I'm going conservative on this one...:p

lol :D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft