PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

John Lynch signs with Pats (Confirmed by Schefter)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: John Lynch signs with Pats

Lynch has been a good player for a long time. If he were in his prime I would be loving this move. But now... the question is how much gas has he got left in the tank. How old is Lynch now btw?

Those two always struck me as peas in a pod. Highly intelligent, well-spoken, good-looking, personable fellas with a taste for bonecrushing violence.

Totally agree. Am looking forward to quite the intimidating presence these two will bring!

Oh yes it is. Lynch was constantly exploited last year by teams with good passing offenses. Without knowing BBs plans for him, there may have been better players available with lesser name recognition. I don't want to say he's done, but based on last year's performance, age has taken a greater toll on him than Junior, Tedy, and Rodney...three guys about whom it is often said are noticably slowing. He's definitely at the stage where he's job-specific....help against the run on the goalline or <1 situations....and if I'm the opposing OC and see Harrison and Lynch in the lineup at the same time, I'm smiling like a cheshire cat.

Again, he's not a lock to make the team, especially if he isn't going to play special teams. Is it a bad signing? Meh. I would put it in the "can't hurt" category. But I don't think it's going to impact our season, barring injury.

Folks, it's okay to admit BB is human. Monty Beisel is exhibit A, and the exhibits run through about P. It's also okay to accept people who don't drink kool-aid 24/7 as being something other than "haters".

I'm not saying you're wrong here, and I'm not sold on bringing in a slower player to a position that was already struggling with speed players last season, but you might want to take a couple of things into consideration:

1.) Lynch has always been bad in coverage, and has always been targeted, even back to his Tampa days.

2.) That Broncos defensive line was, shall we say, not good last year, and that put the secondary in bad light. It wasn't just Lynch looking off last season. Bailey spent most of the year looking very, very mortal, for example.

He may not have dropped quite as far in skills at it appeared last year. Time will tell, I think.

according to belicheck he has not agreed to terms and is not signed he indicated they meet and he had a physical thats it

Sounds like a typical Bill Belichick comment.

The dude would decline comment on what color the sky was if he had not been outside that day "Everyday is a new day and I have not been outside to see what color it is today, we are just taking in one day at a time."

Last edited:

Folks, it's okay to admit BB is human. Monty Beisel is exhibit A, and the exhibits run through about P. It's also okay to accept people who don't drink kool-aid 24/7 as being something other than "haters".

Well articulated and you note some excellent points why fans might not want to raise their expectations sky high.

I am excited about the signing, if indeed it happens, and will certainly temper my expectations thanks to your fine points.

The last few lines were great! :D

Last edited:

I'm not trying to be a homer here, but what is not to like?

We didn't bring Williams here because of his great cover abilities, we brought him here as another type of LB body on the field. I could understand the hate if we signed him because we need him, but folks he's a SITUATIONAL player. What do people not understand exactly? Does it really hurt?

Monty Beisel sucked, so did Duane Starks. We were counting on them to hold down starting spots. That's not being asked of Lynch.

A few things on Lynch:

1.) I am not sure he is an every down safety anymore, but I don't know if he will be asked to be an every down safety.
2.) The Patriots are masters of taking well past their prime players and giving them roles that will exploit their talents to the fullest. See Ted Washington, Willie McGinest, Junior Seau, Otis Smith, etc.
3.) I'm not sure Lynch's play over the last few years is really indicative of what he has left or the fact that the overall Broncos defense has been mediocre to average. Even Champ Bailey last year had 3 INTs last year after 10 in 2006 and 8 in 2005. Denver last year were 23rd in INTs, 16th in sacks, 28th in points allowed, and 23rd in passing TDs allowed. I personally see it as the secondary struggled because the lack of pressure from the front seven. Not watching many Broncos' games, I am only speculating. But Lynch didn't seem to be the only Bronco who struggled in coverage last year.

I am not expecting Lynch to have an All Pro season if he is actually signed, but I do think the guy can be an impact player for the Patriots. I expect that he would have a limited role and should excel in that role.

It will be interesting to see what kind of leadership role Lynch will be taking here. Will Rodney be a little upset if he thinks Lynch is stepping on his shoes? Hopefully they were already friendly with each other before this signing.

If Lynch is so terrible at pass defense, then he won't play on 3rd and longs. We'll see.

The physical is one of the last hurdles..usually after an understanding..that is great news. I think it was explained earlier how most likely he'd be a 3rd down ILB coverig RBs and TEs...that makes great sense...a big nickel...the fact that he is smart and a hrd hitter makes it a solid signing..just time...
Maybe they wish to see a player today..waiting to after practice to announce..

Not necessarily. I don't think the contract would hold up the signing, but it's entirely possible that Lynch wants to keep his options open for an opportunity to go to a team for more playing time. In other words, Belichick's made him an offer, but he might think there's a better fit for him somewhere else (Oakland? Minnesota?)

I expect that he would have a limited role and should excel in that role.

See, we agree here. My overriding point is that how limited a role can a player with no upside have and be justified in taking up a roster spot? For a long snapper and kicker, no-brainer. For a positional player it's a different story.

iam surprised BB would even comment that too in opening the press conference about lynch . it seems a bit out of the way for him. He generally does this when he wants showup someone in the media like he did a couple of yrs ago when there was some news that javon walker was in new england talking a physical and mentioned in his press conf that walker never came to NE.

Hopefully he left his cement cleats he was running last year back in denver.

He didnt just loose a step he lost about 5.

It's funny, though - those who proudly label themselves "non-Kool-Aid drinkers" never talk about Roman Phifer, Anthony Pleasant, Mike Compton, Antowain Smith, David Patten, Bobby Hamilton, Christian Fauria, Tyrone Poole, Rosevelt Colvin, Junior Seau and other FA's who have logged significant time and made significant contributions for the Pats, some as multiple champions. They sure never talk about Mike Vrabel and Larry Izzo and Rodney Harrison and Heath Evans, all still with the team. Vrabel may be one of the top five free agent signings ever.

Instead we hear "Monty Beisel" and "Duane Starks" under the guise of an instructive reminder that "BB is human." I'm not sure I needed that reminder, as I never thought he wasn't. But the fact is when it comes to signing veteran free agents (never mind guys like Russ Hochstein), the Patriots are better than most teams. It's for that reason that people have faith that while not every move they may will work, most of them will.

Why the "non-Kool Aid" guys are so focused on Beisel, Starks, and guys like Donald Hayes when the scales are so heavily tipped in favor of the number of FA's that have worked out is beyond me.

I don't mind Belichick being criticized, because I sometimes do it myself. What I have a problem with is "Monty Beisel" being offered as some proof that Belichick "is human." That's like reminding me that Ted Williams made an out six times out of every ten at bats in 1941.

NFLN just said that he hasnt signed. But took a physical.

It's funny, though - those who proudly label themselves "non-Kool-Aid drinkers" never talk about Roman Phifer, Anthony Pleasant, Mike Compton, Antowain Smith, David Patten, Bobby Hamilton, Christian Fauria, Tyrone Poole, Rosevelt Colvin, Junior Seau and other FA's who have logged significant time and made significant contributions for the Pats, some as multiple champions. They sure never talk about Mike Vrabel and Larry Izzo and Rodney Harrison and Heath Evans, all still with the team. Vrabel may be one of the top five free agent signings ever.

Instead we hear "Monty Beisel" and "Duane Starks" under the guise of an instructive reminder that "BB is human." I'm not sure I needed that reminder, as I never thought he wasn't. But the fact is when it comes to signing veteran free agents (never mind guys like Russ Hochstein), the Patriots are better than most teams. It's for that reason that people have faith that while not every move they may will work, most of them will.

Why the "non-Kool Aid" guys are so focused on Beisel, Starks, and guys like Donald Hayes when the scales are so heavily tipped in favor of the number of FA's that have worked out is beyond me.

I don't mind Belichick being criticized, because I sometimes do it myself. What I have a problem with is "Monty Beisel" being offered as some proof that Belichick "is human." That's like reminding me that Ted Williams made an out six times out of every ten at bats in 1941.

Very well said.

I love the analogy there. It fits so well.

NFLN just said that he hasnt signed. But took a physical.
something tells me if he isnt signed by now that hes not going to sign, just a hunch, why wouldd bb go out of his way to say he hasnt signed???

It's looking like there is nothing to see here folks. Let's move on.

Sigh, Profootballtalk.com :rolleyes:

Last edited:

something tells me if he isnt signed by now that hes not going to sign, just a hunch, why wouldd bb go out of his way to say he hasnt signed???

I take it differently. We all know BB seldom talks about a specific player. In my mind, why talk about him at all if he was not going to sign. The fact that he even remotely talked about him, and said when they have news they'll say something, means there is a good chance he'll be signing. Not etched in stone good, but very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back