PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jimmy Garoppolo traded to SF for 2018 2nd round draft pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL, he's been a position coach for 2 years. He has proving to do there then time as a coordinator most likely. Maybe he's more ready than I know but on it's face he's at least 5 years away.

Which was what I was trying say obviously not now but by the time BB retires should be good to go

Which was what I was trying say obviously not now but by the time BB retires should be good to go
I believe we're basing this on the 2-3 year premise? If so, no way. If you think Bill is going for 5-7 more years then the timing works although we don't know how good he is.

1) There are no 10 year contracts.

2) You ignore the effect of 2018 and 2019 of paying JAG $20M at the same time as we are paying Brady. After all, the team waited half the season, just in case Brady took a serious downhill turn. In that case, JAG might have been worth $20M.

It really depends how long Belichick is sticking around. If he no longer expects to outlast Brady he may be fine with Hoyer as a backup and building a stronger team around Brady and leaving the QB mess to the next guy.

If it's true that Kraft forced the trade, the irony is that he only hurt himself (or Jonathan). We all want a soft landing for Brady's end of career and I'm thrilled that he will almost certainly retire as a Patriot now - but by doing it, Kraft may have cost himself ten years of quality QB play while searching for the next Jimmy G.

I believe we're basing this on the 2-3 year premise? If so, no way. If you think Bill is going for 5-7 more years then the timing works although we don't know how good he is.

He's a Belichick, I'm sure as much is being passed down to him as possible (ex. Belichick Sr.-BB-SB?) if BB has him in mind as a potential successor

If Bill is indeed grooming Stevie to become the next HC of the NEP, then Bill is doing this franchise a great disservice by not considering all availble worthy candidates at the time that he's planning his retirement. However, I don't believe that he would jeopardize the future because he viewed the position as something of a birthright.

Last edited:
He's a Belichick, I'm sure as much is being passed down to him as possible (ex. Belichick Sr.-BB-SB?) if BB has him in mind as a potential successor

Before I write, I apologize for the blasphemy. If Belichick and Brady were to retire, there is no reason to believe that his son would even be coaching, never mind being the head coach. Kraft, Jonathan and Caserio would need to hire a coach for the future. That coach would be expected to hire his own set of new coaches.

Let us say that this takes place in 3 1/2 years. Perhaps, Steve would take a job elsewhere as a coordinator.

Of course Bill could stay on as GM for as President of Football Operations. Then Steve would likely moved ups rom wherever he is. But, I think that this is unlikely.

Before I write, I apologize for the blasphemy. If Belichick and Brady were to retire, there is no reason to believe that his son would even be coaching, never mind being the head coach. Kraft, Jonathan and Caserio would need to hire a coach for the future. That coach would be expected to hire his own set of new coaches.

Let us say that this takes place in 3 1/2 years. Perhaps, Steve would take a job elsewhere as a coordinator.

Of course Bill could stay on as GM for as President of Football Operations. Then Steve would likely moved ups rom wherever he is. But, I think that this is unlikely.

I consider this more likely than you do. Bill is a match for anyone in the league as a GM. If he retires it will be because he can't keep up with the physical rigors of coaching anymore, but there isn't a football mind I would want as a driving force for an organization's progress, development and success, more than Bill Belichick. If driving a desk is what he's reduced to, I'd still expect Bill to drive it better than anyone else out there we could have instead.

I think it's very likely that Bill Belichick will have a lot he can give an organization from behind a desk even after he can't serve on the sidelines anymore. I would say it's possible, although not probable. It depends on how much he wants to take Ten Rings for a few nice joyrides and enjoy retirement -- and how much more he'd rather be the proud owner of a boat named Eleven Rings instead.

That said, the idea of Steve Belichick replacing him as head coach... would depend heavily on Steve Belichick being the best available candidate. Belichick doesn't seem the nepotism type, everything he's run in New England has been pure meritocracyso far. If he has his son on the staff, it's because he thinks his son is one of the best possible people to carry out his wishes for that position. So I won't rule it out, but I doubt he's the immediate successor.

I consider this more likely than you do. Bill is a match for anyone in the league as a GM. If he retires it will be because he can't keep up with the physical rigors of coaching anymore, but there isn't a football mind I would want as a driving force for an organization's progress, development and success, more than Bill Belichick. If driving a desk is what he's reduced to, I'd still expect Bill to drive it better than anyone else out there we could have instead.

I think it's very likely that Bill Belichick will have a lot he can give an organization from behind a desk even after he can't serve on the sidelines anymore. I would say it's possible, although not probable. It depends on how much he wants to take Ten Rings for a few nice joyrides and enjoy retirement -- and how much more he'd rather be the proud owner of a boat named Eleven Rings instead.

That said, the idea of Steve Belichick replacing him as head coach... would depend heavily on Steve Belichick being the best available candidate. Belichick doesn't seem the nepotism type, everything he's run in New England has been pure meritocracyso far. If he has his son on the staff, it's because he thinks his son is one of the best possible people to carry out his wishes for that position. So I won't rule it out, but I doubt he's the immediate successor.
When BB is done, he’s done. He’s got other interests and family needs. Why on earth would he stop what he’s loving only to take on another position where he has much less control and continue to work into his mid-70s. For what purpose?

Last edited:
:) I would certainly WANT Belichick as GM. I just think that he will leave when he is finished and party. He has lots of other interests.

Guys, predictiond so far into the future, while fun, are impossible to debate... Too many assumptions and un-predictable factors could work in effect.

About the current situation, plenty of other defensive positional coaches are due to a promotion before Steve... Brian Flores (LBs) has made a group of scrubs from other teams into decent players. Every LB seems prospect seems to improve immensily here;

Josh Boyer (CBs) - Since he took over, our CBs have become much better. L Ryan improved, Rowe improved and some guy named Butler surged much because of him.

We'll see how things will happen once McD and/or Patricia leaves...

Has anyone taken a look at the 49ers depth chart? 2017 San Francisco 49ers Depth Chart | Ourlads.com

The situation is not conducive to Garoppolo being successful.

****ton of cap space, another set of early draft picks and a good offensive mind like Shanahan. I am not sure there is a better place to be successful without the immediate playoff expectations than SF. This is the perfect spot for him.

giphy.gif

Your question is incomplete.

It should read, "Is there any way the Pats could have kept BOTH Jimmy G and Brady?"

To which the answer... is "no".

And now that I've said that...

272909002.gif

...I'm out. o_O

Idiotic post, which you undoubtedly intended. Unless you wanted to part with Brady, the answer is no.

/thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back