PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets Suck -- 2018 Edition (Official): Fifty Fabulous Years of Futility!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sam and Jamal are gonna have plenty of support very soon...

Salary Cap Increase Will Give Jets Even More Flexibility

According to overthecap.com, the Jets already will have more than $106 million in available money to spend when NFL free agency begins on March 13. This new projection means they will have at least $116 million available, and that number would rise if they make some player moves before then. Cutting right guard Brian Winters, for instance, would give them an additional $6.5 million in salary-cap space.
That's right, overpay to collect free-agent talent vs. building a team. Works every time. :rolleyes: If the Jete were smart (which they're not), they'd draft a franchise quarterback in the first round next spring to build around along with a few other rookie hopefuls. Oh, wait -- no second-round picks? Damn!

That's right, overpay to collect free-agent talent vs. building a team. Works every time. :rolleyes: If the Jete were smart (which they're not), they'd draft a franchise quarterback in the first round next spring to build around along with a few other rookie hopefuls. Oh, wait -- no second-round picks? Damn!

Dumb comment. Most of the team is currently built with homegrown or cheap free agents. Which is why the money is available.

Should they not spend the money? All the other teams do.

Wake up man. That was a foolish statement. Ya must still be half asleep.

Dumb comment. Most of the team is currently built with homegrown or cheap free agents. Which is why the money is available.

You are the very last person on planet Earth qualified to discern a "dumb comment" from someone else, ESPECIALLY related to football. Now, bundle up, go outside and find the nearest major intersection to play in traffic -- morning rush hour begins soon.

Last edited:
Why all the discussion about the Jets? Someone must be obsessed. Go Pats

This thread is a public service. All apparently new or unaware Patriots fans like yourself are referred to the OP for remedial education to get up to speed.

You really don’t get it @JetFan79 . I’ve always thought you were pretty witty, usually a sign of intelligence, but clearly that’s not the case. If you haven’t figured out the inherent problem of having an enormous amount of money to spend in the NFL salary cap with which to build a roster, you never will. Your entire roster will consist of poor value, giving top money to players who aren’t close to the top of their position; every year-to-year competitive team does not have offseason cap money like this for a reason. Sure, the Jets will have some bigger names and maybe some more wins next year, but then you’re just into the same old cycle once again. Having that space is a consequence of poor drafting and a symptom of a problem, not an advantageous solution or cure.

Furthermore, the cap increase is an ultimate “net zero” gain since each team gets the same thing. It’s more likely to help a team like the Patriots who are just needing a few upgrades and cap flexibility and who can do much more with a little extra. Duh.

You really don’t get it @JetFan79 . I’ve always thought you were pretty witty, usually a sign of intelligence, but clearly that’s not the case. If you haven’t figured out the inherent problem of having an enormous amount of money to spend in the NFL salary cap with which to build a roster, you never will. Your entire roster will consist of poor value, giving top money to players who aren’t close to the top of their position; every year-to-year competitive team does not have offseason cap money like this for a reason. Sure, the Jets will have some bigger names and maybe some more wins next year, but then you’re just into the same old cycle once again. Having that space is a consequence of poor drafting and a symptom of a problem, not an advantageous solution or cure.

Furthermore, the cap increase is an ultimate “net zero” gain since each team gets the same thing. It’s more likely to help a team like the Patriots who are just needing a few upgrades and cap flexibility and who can do much more with a little extra. Duh.
Excellent post. Recent NFL history is littered with teams making a big splash in free agency and going nowhere. Our resident Jete troll never has understood the distinction between collecting talent and building a team.

Tuney obsessed? Nahhhh...

anigif_enhanced-24676-1423775696-2.gif

Excellent post. Recent NFL history is littered with teams making a big splash in free agency and going nowhere. Our resident Jete troll never has understood the distinction between collecting talent and building a team.

The Patriots 2017 offseason was exactly how you should approach having “a lot of cap room.” For them, a team already contending, they had roughly $30M to spend which is a lot for a defending champion.

They wisely used a much of it to re-sign their own players who they knew would fit into the system (Hightower, for example) and signed/extended others. They didn’t just keep guys who were below value simply because they could afford it.

But the biggest signing was Stephon Gilmore. Why was he worth setting the market? Because they saw him as truly one of the very best CBs in the NFL, so the free agent “splash” was based on value. Or in other words, he’d be one of the first players they’d want in a theoretical draft whereby every CB in football is available.

The Jets, and a bunch of their teams, frequently set the market with players who are closer to average than elite, merely because they’re the best available in a given free agency period. Keep in mind this is usually a losing proposition in itself because elite players deserving of the highest pay are rarely on the market and are extended/franchised instead. The Jets love to mistake “top player at position” with “top player who is on the market.” Massive difference. The Patriots recognized that Gilmore was a rare player who fell through the gaps and should have been extended or franchised, coming off his rookie deal and entering his prime. That’s one reason why one franchise wins and the other is the Jets. Yet the fans like yourself and the NY papers eat it up without knowing how dumb it really is.

Nothing better epitomizes the NY stupidity than the Nate Solder and Darrelle Revis megadeals resulting in idiotic victory lap headlines and dumb fan hysteria. Both epitomize why you don’t just spend “since you have the money”. This isn’t 1985 and all bad value, bad risk/reward deals will become a liability eventually, if not immediately.

Last edited:
With the season more than half over, it could be said that they are closer to century (or a 100 years) of futility than they are to their most recent SB win.

If you've approached every offseason for the past 50 years like...

tenor.gif

...you might just be a jete fan
(actually there's no might about it)

This thread is a public service. All apparently new or unaware Patriots fans like yourself are referred to the OP for remedial education to get up to speed.

Guess you got the message. Enough with the insults.

In the Spirit of the Holidays...

You're a sad one, Mr Jete
You really are a heel
You're as cuddly as a Goodell
You're as charming as an eel
Mr. Jete!
You're a bad banana
With a greasy green peel!

You're no monster, Mr. Jete!
Your intimidation is an empty hole
Your brain is full of spiders
You've got envy in your soul
Mr. Jete!
I wouldn't touch you
With a hundred-and-a-half yard pole!

You're a vile one, Mr. Jete!
Those double digit losses suit your style
You have all the vile greenness
Of a seasick crocodile
Mr. Jete!
Given the choice between the two of you
I'd rather the division had the seasick crocodile!

You're a foul one, Mr. Jete!
You're a nasty, stanky skunk!
Your heart is full of unfulfilled promise
Your roster is full of gunk
Mr. Jete!
The three words that best describe you
Are as follows, and I quote
"Stink, STANK, stunk!"

You're a rotter, Mr. Jete!
You're the king of sinful sots!
Your heart's a dead ball foul
Splotched with moldy, green spots
Mr. Jete!
Your team is an appalling dump-heap
Overflowing with the most disgraceful
Assortment of deplorable drafts imaginable
Mangled-up in buttfumbled knots!

The Patriots 2017 offseason was exactly how you should approach having “a lot of cap room.” For them, a team already contending, they had roughly $30M to spend which is a lot for a defending champion.

They wisely used a much of it to re-sign their own players who they knew would fit into the system (Hightower, for example) and signed/extended others. They didn’t just keep guys who were below value simply because they could afford it.

But the biggest signing was Stephon Gilmore. Why was he worth setting the market? Because they saw him as truly one of the very best CBs in the NFL, so the free agent “splash” was based on value. Or in other words, he’d be one of the first players they’d want in a theoretical draft whereby every CB in football is available.

The Jets, and a bunch of their teams, frequently set the market with players who are closer to average than elite, merely because they’re the best available in a given free agency period. Keep in mind this is usually a losing proposition in itself because elite players deserving of the highest pay are rarely on the market and are extended/franchised instead. The Jets love to mistake “top player at position” with “top player who is on the market.” Massive difference. The Patriots recognized that Gilmore was a rare player who fell through the gaps and should have been extended or franchised, coming off his rookie deal and entering his prime. That’s one reason why one franchise wins and the other is the Jets. Yet the fans like yourself and the NY papers eat it up without knowing how dumb it really is.

Nothing better epitomizes the NY stupidity than the Nate Solder and Darrelle Revis megadeals resulting in idiotic victory lap headlines and dumb fan hysteria. Both epitomize why you don’t just spend “since you have the money”. This isn’t 1985 and all bad value, bad risk/reward deals will become a liability eventually, if not immediately.

Ice_Ice Brady, help me out. Why did you dislike my post to "Tunescribe" where I posted "Guess you got the message" and "Enough with the insults"? My suggestion that he got the message was about "his constant aggravating posts arebout nothing to do with the Pats" or my suggestion that he should stop with the insulting remarks towards other posters that don't agree with him? Thanks in advance for the explanation, I appreciate it, Ice_Ice Brady.

Ice_Ice Brady, help me out. Why did you dislike my post to "Tunescribe" where I posted "Guess you got the message" and "Enough with the insults"? My suggestion that he got the message was about "his constant aggravating posts arebout nothing to do with the Pats" or my suggestion that he should stop with the insulting remarks towards other posters that don't agree with him? Thanks in advance for the explanation, I appreciate it, Ice_Ice Brady.
:rolleyes: You're a fish out of water in this thread.

Again your comment doesn't deserve a reply because it supports my position.
Two questions:

1). Then why did you reply?
2). Do you understand the purpose of this thread?

he's another "I Am The Ruler Of The Internet" egomaniac, Tunes...may as well place him on ignore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back