PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets Suck -- 2017 Edition (Official): Countdown to Oblivion

Status
Not open for further replies.
You get what ya pay for. Gotta spend for quality!

That's why we spent 12mil on Ryan Fitzpatrick last year.
Hope you didn't spend too much on Tony Richardson:

Playing Devil's advocate,
Why? Are you a Jetes sympathizer?

the Jets didn't mess up at the draft.
An excellent case can be made to the contrary by not trading down a few slots in the first round and maximizing their draft capital. They possibly could've gotten AT LEAST an additional second-rounder in a deep draft to address multiple pressing needs across their roster.

I begrudgingly say good job, and they are headed in the right direction.
Nonsense.

Last edited:
At minimum, the Jets could have gotten what the Bills or Browns gave up by trading out of 10 and 12, a late first round pick and a #1 for next year. Bills also got a 3rd round pick.

I find the Jets' draft possibilities fascinating the more I think about it as they were in a very unique, interesting, and advantageous spot. They have the worst roster in the league by a good amount, with needs everywhere but DT. I'd guess that there are fewer than 10 players on their predraft roster that will suit up for them in three years. It's a 95% chance that no QB on their roster will amount to anything but clipboard holder, and next year's QB draft class is said to be stellar. No one expects or wants them to be good next year. The majority of their fanbase would be happy with a successful Suck for Sam campaign. They evidently don't like any rookie QB this year to their credit. The head coach is utterly disposable so you don't even care if the players picked this year fit in a Bowles' system, as you can most likely fire him and Joe Beningo will lead a parade that day.

Belichick always says "We're building a team, not just collecting talent." but in this case the Jets could have just collected talent, take all the high risk/high reward players, especially if they had traded back to get as many picks as possible. The next coach could figure out how to assemble to talent into a team. Insofar as planning for 2018, the Jets could make the offense Darnold ready by stocking the offensive side of the ball with skill players and OL so that Darnold (or whoever the high QB pick is), can come in with a good offensive structure around him. He'd lose a lot of 35-24 games in his first year, but I'd bet the Jets fans would like that better than losing 13-6.

Some of the players they took may turn out well, particularly Adams who seems foolproof if limited, but I think this was a real lost opportunity for them.

At minimum, the Jets could have gotten what the Bills or Browns gave up by trading out of 10 and 12, a late first round pick and a #1 for next year. Bills also got a 3rd round pick.

I find the Jets' draft possibilities fascinating the more I think about it as they were in a very unique, interesting, and advantageous spot. They have the worst roster in the league by a good amount, with needs everywhere but DT. I'd guess that there are fewer than 10 players on their predraft roster that will suit up for them in three years. It's a 95% chance that no QB on their roster will amount to anything but clipboard holder, and next year's QB draft class is said to be stellar. No one expects or wants them to be good next year. The majority of their fanbase would be happy with a successful Suck for Sam campaign. They evidently don't like any rookie QB this year to their credit. The head coach is utterly disposable so you don't even care if the players picked this year fit in a Bowles' system, as you can most likely fire him and Joe Beningo will lead a parade that day.

Belichick always says "We're building a team, not just collecting talent." but in this case the Jets could have just collected talent, take all the high risk/high reward players, especially if they had traded back to get as many picks as possible. The next coach could figure out how to assemble to talent into a team. Insofar as planning for 2018, the Jets could make the offense Darnold ready by stocking the offensive side of the ball with skill players and OL so that Darnold (or whoever the high QB pick is), can come in with a good offensive structure around him. He'd lose a lot of 35-24 games in his first year, but I'd bet the Jets fans would like that better than losing 13-6.

Some of the players they took may turn out well, particularly Adams who seems foolproof if limited, but I think this was a real lost opportunity for them.

Agreed. I was happy when they announced the pick was in, because I thought the rodents were in a really god position to trade down and pick up more draft capital.

Last edited:
Why? Are you a Jetes sympathizer?

An excellent case can be made to the contrary by not trading down a few slots in the first round and maximizing their draft capital. They possibly could've gotten AT LEAST an additional second-rounder in a deep draft to address multiple pressing needs across their roster.

Nonsense.
Not a sympathizer at all, I hate the Jets and enjoy when they mess up. That being said, they had a very good draft. I assume they didn't trade down on their 1st round pick because Adams was there. Some had him going top 3, so why not grab him at the 6 slot. They drafted 6 DBs overall I think, and since they were brutal in that department it makes sense. Two excellent receivers and a very good TE whom we ALL liked for the Patriots in the 4th or 5th round. I would've loved getting Leggett with one of the Pat's picks. He's gonna be a good one.

Besides being a Patriot's fan, I'm a football fan in general, a draft fanatic, and a realist. Jets had a good draft. My only thoughts were they could've had a guy like Davis Webb with one of their picks. That would've been a top 5 draft. But as we all know, drafts take years to analyze, so I could be completely wrong about their draft.

Jets had a good draft.
No, they didn't. They did not maximize its potential to address their many needs. You don't rebuild a team that can't score around a pair of rookie safeties.

Scott99 was a big Gholston fan too I'm betting.

Not a sympathizer at all, I hate the Jets and enjoy when they mess up. That being said, they had a very good draft.

You can't possibly know if the Jets had a good draft until the players actually show whether they were good picks or not. How many times have have you heard that a team had a great draft, due to some conventional mock draft grades, only to learn later on that they bombed it?

When you factor in the Jets have been one of the worst drafting teams in the NFL under MacBowles, I am extremely skeptical. In fact, you'd have to back to Mangini to find a draft where the Jets did even acceptable. Outside of some blue chip, no-brainer prospects, they have done about as bad as you can possibly do.

NFL.com Draft 2017 - NFL Draft History: Full Draft Year

They drafted 6 DBs overall I think, and since they were brutal in that department it makes sense. Two excellent receivers and a very good TE whom we ALL liked for the Patriots in the 4th or 5th round. I would've loved getting Leggett with one of the Pat's picks. He's gonna be a good one.

Two excellent receivers and a very good tight end? Show me two excellent receivers and a very good tight end the Jets have drafted over the last seven years. Show me one defensive back that's been good since Revis ten years ago. You'll find a slew of busts, all of whom were thought to be good when drafted. I'm not sure you understand that simply because players were good in college does not mean they ware going to be good in the NFL. And if you are taking this overly optimistic approach to the draft, you should give every team an A+.

The Rotoworld writer gave the Jete a harsh grade - D, based on drafting two safeties (claims they have the least impact on defense) and two WRs who top out as WR3s. He wasn't impressed with any of the other picks either.

tenor.gif

You can't possibly know if the Jets had a good draft until the players actually show whether they were good picks or not. How many times have have you heard that a team had a great draft, due to some conventional mock draft grades, only to learn later on that they bombed it?

When you factor in the Jets have been one of the worst drafting teams in the NFL under MacBowles, I am extremely skeptical. In fact, you'd have to back to Mangini to find a draft where the Jets did even acceptable. Outside of some blue chip, no-brainer prospects, they have done about as bad as you can possibly do.

NFL.com Draft 2017 - NFL Draft History: Full Draft Year

They drafted 6 DBs overall I think, and since they were brutal in that department it makes sense. Two excellent receivers and a very good TE whom we ALL liked for the Patriots in the 4th or 5th round. I would've loved getting Leggett with one of the Pat's picks. He's gonna be a good one.

Two excellent receivers and a very good tight end? Show me two excellent receivers and a very good tight end the Jets have drafted over the last seven years. Show me one defensive back that's been good since Revis ten years ago. You'll find a slew of busts, all of whom were thought to be good when drafted. I'm not sure you understand that simply because players were good in college does not mean they ware going to be good in the NFL. And if you are taking this overly optimistic approach to the draft, you should give every team an A+.
Of course you quoted one of my sentences but not the last one where I state that it takes years to grade a draft, so it could turn out to be the opposite of what I originally state (a good draft). Anyone who can definitively state it's GOING to be a good OR bad draft right off the back, is either Nostradamus or full of ****.

That being said, they picked some really good college players (maybe I should've stated it that way). If their talent translates to the pros, then it's an excellent draft.

Not a sympathizer at all, I hate the Jets and enjoy when they mess up.
The draftniks might get hot and bothered about the Jets picking a good safety in the first round, but it's just a fart in the wind when you see what terrible shape the Jets are in. They still have the same douchebag owner, they still have the same GM who keeps dirtbags like Sheldon Richardson around, they still have the same coach Blowes who hasn't coached up anybody or anything and who's almost certainly going to get fired at the end of the terrible season they're about to have, and they still don't have a QB. That pick might be Rodney Harrison, Ed Reed, and Troy Polamalu all rolled into one, and the Jets will still suck!
Everyone needs to calm down. You all seem to be overanalyzing what is basically a simple truth....and that is the Jets suck.
That's it. A simple yet eternal TRUTH.
Yep, keep it simple -- The Jets Suck! There's no amount of Blowes, McCaggnut or Wooddildo Johnson that's ever going to change that!

Q: What do you have when you see 53 Jets, their front office, and Woody Johnson up to their necks in cement?

A: Not enough cement.

Some psychologists see all creative expression, from half-mile-tall buildings to the merest graffiti on a subway, to be oriented toward somehow attracting the opposite sex. The long history of the love lives of poets should suffice to put this theory to rest. On the other hand, all creative expression might truly be a continuous refinement of disdain for the flaws in the world as we find it, and replacement of that flawed world with a better world, if on only through art.

This second theory finds its finest expression through the denigration of the JEST/JETE

From-the-podium buttfumble.

These guys are the gift that keeps on giving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
Back