PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jeff Howe: Pats in market for a WR and TE

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they do acquire Solder than that would mean Wynn is done for the season.

Massive contract, mediocre to terrible play....what’s not to love? How does this clown get paid for what he brings to the table, which is
upload_2019-10-27_10-3-4.gif

I mean this is a pretty smart way of putting it. There is no way he will be wrong. If a deal happens, never say never and if no deal happens he told us so.

I dont think he put anything smartly but said it as it is. He is not aware of anything the Pats are doing, and even if they were they are very limited by cap room.

As usual if someone comes to BB with a great offer he will find a way to pounce on it.

Point being ignore the noise about Howard not playing this weekend because of a trade, Solder and so on..

I tend to think that bb is desperately looking for a tight end that can block and control the end of the line.

Newhouse and LaCosse are absolute jokes as run blockers and Watson is soft as a cupcake as a blocker.
And Tomlinson whiffed on almost every “wham” block....hopefully he plays better today but so far he looks like a mess out there

Solder's remaining salary could fit under the Patriots cap this year, but the dead money the Giants would have to take on in order to deal him is pretty astronomical. As a result, the Giants would probably demand a 1st (if they would do it at all). So you get to rent a bad tackle for a high pick. Great idea.
Solder sucks ....I wouldn’t trade a bag of footballs and one of BB sleeveless hoodies for him!

Can one of our salary cap guys remind us about how much they could realistically gain with extensions and restructures (Van Noy, Hightower, DMC). Seems to me that getting over that 6 million hump (if they indeed are after a high salary guy) is still possible.

Can one of our salary cap guys remind us about how much they could realistically gain with extensions and restructures (Van Noy, Hightower, DMC). Seems to me that getting over that 6 million hump (if they indeed are after a high salary guy) is still possible.

Just no.

The deadline is a couple dozen hours away and you think they will announce multiple big extensions with players who all will look to cash in big in March ?

So much ******** noise..

Lombardi says nothing in the works

Which should set the expectations properly.

1. According to Miguel, the Pats have 2.8 million in cap space, which is more than they gained in the Bennett trade. The Mason restructure paid for Sanu.

2. How did the Bennett trade pay for Sanu when they practiced together on Thurs?

3. They could already afford Hooper (2.2 mill left) and could easily find the space for OJ (3.05 mill left)

2. How did the Bennett trade pay for Sanu when they practiced together on Thurs?
They were actually at $10K in cap space before the Bennett trade. Technically they could afford both but not realistically.

When I saw Miguel's number at $10,268 I wondered how we had $10M suddenly. Then I realized I subconsciously added three zeros. This was Miguel's tweet:

"My new Patriots salary cap space number is $10,268. This accounts for Sanu, Mason, Richards, and Gordon. Number presumes Justin Bethel and Aaron Monteiro signed for the minimum."

Just no.

The deadline is a couple dozen hours away and you think they will announce multiple big extensions with players who all will look to cash in big in March ?

Fair enough on an extension but a restructure would still be an option. In fact, they may have a verbal agreement on a restructure with one or more players already, in case of a deal.

They were actually at $10K in cap space before the Bennett trade. Technically they could afford both but not realistically.

When I saw Miguel's number at $10,268 I wondered how we had $10M suddenly. Then I realized I subconsciously added three zeros. This was Miguel's tweet:

"My new Patriots salary cap space number is $10,268. This accounts for Sanu, Mason, Richards, and Gordon. Number presumes Justin Bethel and Aaron Monteiro signed for the minimum."

And I always forget about the performance bonus and incentive payments that will be due at the end of the year. Still, in order to keep my hopes up for another deal, I will keep saying to myself that the cap is crap.

That wasted cap space on AB really was a killer. :(

And I always forget about the performance bonus and incentive payments that will be due at the end of the year. Still, in order to keep my hopes up for another deal, I will keep saying to myself that the cap is crap.

That wasted cap space on AB really was a

How dare you, Chris (use Greta Thunberg accent and angry tone)?! Those are fighting words!

Fair enough on an extension but a restructure would still be an option. In fact, they may have a verbal agreement on a restructure with one or more players already, in case of a deal.

Restructures need no verbal commitment from any players. The authority of the team to restructure signing bonuses is part of most contracts nowadays.

1. According to Miguel, the Pats have 2.8 million in cap space, which is more than they gained in the Bennett trade. The Mason restructure paid for Sanu.

3. They could already afford Hooper (2.2 mill left) and could easily find the space for OJ (3.05 mill left)

And Lombardi just told you that it doesnt look like they will. Do with it whatever you want.

Usain Bolt is looking to join the Patriots or Packers

Restructures need no verbal commitment from any players. The authority of the team to restructure signing bonuses is part of most contracts nowadays.

That is technically true (and I remember that being posted here last year or during the offseason) but you don’t think that they give the player and agent the heads up, as a courtesy?.....either way, restructures are possible.

In terms of Lombardi, yes he has a lot of contacts and his son now is on the coaching staff but the Pats are unlikely to be feeding him trade talk info....he got Sanu correct but that was likely due to his knowledge about how much Bill and co. liked him as a player from Lombardi’s time there.

Lombardi is now in the business of tweeting info he gets from sources, whereas BB and the Pats front office have always been in the business of avoiding leaks (and other teams to whom they are talking about potential deals know that). I am confident that they aren’t having their secretaries tell teams that there is no need to talk, bc they are low on cap space and can’t make any more deals. They are taking every call and if something juicy is offered they will likely find a way to make it work.

Makes no sense unless you are tagging him. Which with their reported cap hell is unlikely. The Dolphins are seemingly the only team that knows how to tank properly while setting themselves up for the future. Good for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes