PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Player Departure JC Jackson Bolting to the Bolts

Jackson is gonna go up against a lot of talented wrs in the west and won't have a scheme to protect him.

I am glad patriots let him walk

Pretty much what we all thought of him. Good player, not great.
I don't know. Seems like I got a lot of pushback here on that opinion when I expressed it weeks ago. Now that he's on another team more people seem to be open to the fact that he's not elite.

I don't know. Seems like I got a lot of pushback here on that opinion when I expressed it weeks ago. Now that he's on another team more people seem to be open to the fact that he's not elite.
Who gave you “pushback” that Jackson was great?

Well, about some comments (not specifics, just the general idea) "Chargers are for real", "Taking advantage of Herbert in a rookie deal" etc...

Well, Herbert was in a 2nd year (after a good rookie year) and the Chargers didn't make the playoffs. The Patriots did, with a rookie QB and an improved roster. We also beat that same Chargers.

The idea that we let Jackson go because we are not there yet or we are not contenders so that's a great signing for the Chargers and bad loss for the Patriots is silly. The Pats is just as contender as the Chargers, if not more.

Gotta trust the decision, the deal was not a reset market deal, was fair enough but our cap is limited.

Personally, I think it's an offensive era, I hope we get into that same roster building mindset (QB in a rookie deal) and load on offense.

Jackson is gonna go up against a lot of talented wrs in the west and won't have a scheme to protect him.

I am glad patriots let him walk
What do WRs in the west have to do w/ JC playing for the Pats?

How'd that scheme work out against the No Punt Bills?

Belichick didn't think he was all that good. Let's face it.

He's clearly in the Asante Samuel, Malcolm Butler, Logan Ryan camp, in Bill's eyes.

I trust Bill to know how to evaluate a pro CB.

We brought in Gilmore, Revis and Talib, let Samuel, Butler, Ryan and now Jackson go.
He was the best CB we had. Now we have nothing.

Bill also let Gilmore, Revis, and Talib go and Ty. He does make mistakes. He's human.

If this was about guaranteed money then Kraft didn't want to dish out more up front cash like he did last season. He's got a wedding to pay for.

Last edited:
Well, about some comments (not specifics, just the general idea) "Chargers are for real", "Taking advantage of Herbert in a rookie deal" etc...

Well, Herbert was in a 2nd year (after a good rookie year) and the Chargers didn't make the playoffs. The Patriots did, with a rookie QB and an improved roster. We also beat that same Chargers.

The idea that we let Jackson go because we are not there yet or we are not contenders so that's a great signing for the Chargers and bad loss for the Patriots is silly. The Pats is just as contender as the Chargers, if not more.

Gotta trust the decision, the deal was not a reset market deal, was fair enough but our cap is limited.

Personally, I think it's an offensive era, I hope we get into that same roster building mindset (QB in a rookie deal) and load on offense.
People conflate Herbert's decision making with his arm.

Hey, at least it'll help make Mahomes' life miserable.

What do WRs in the west have to do w/ JC playing for the Pats?

How'd that scheme work out against the No Punt Bills?
Exactly my point, Jackson cannot hold up against top wr talent. Patriots scheme can only protect him so much.

I am not upset to see Jackson leave because for the last decade, the Pats have always found the answer for the #1 CB position. And it hasn't been the same guy or even a player that has been drafted. Over the last decade, the Pats have gone from Talib to Revis to Butler to Gilmore to Jackson. Both Jackson and Butler were undrafted free agents. Talib was considered an underachiever when he came to the Pats. People thought the Pats were crazy to pay what they paid for Gilmore. People were nervous that the Pats would move Jackson to the #1 CB spot feeling he couldn't handle it last year. I have faith in Belichick finding the next guy in that string.
None of those players were drafted by Bill. Does that mean anything?

Hey, at least it'll help make Mahomes' life miserable.
Great point that could apply to Carr and Wilson too. JCJ is a very good corner.

Brady covered up alot of holes because he was the goat. I wish people would throw out this line of thinking that we can put "ok rosters together" because we did it before.

We did it with a guy who is the greatest of all time. Mac may end up being good but he's never going to be that and he will need a good team around him.
Absolutely correct. The problem is that some Pats fans are tired of the Brady talk. I try to keep mine in the Brady forum.

Imagine how much this team would have won if you were in charge instead of that incompetent belichick. Are you available if they fire him?
Do you really think that Bill is beyond criticism. He's the best but he's not perfect. I still have some questions about the 4th and 2 at Indy.

None of those players were drafted by Bill. Does that mean anything?

Butler and Jackson were UDFA for the Pats. Yes, it does say something. Belichick is great at finding diamonds in the rough at that position. Thanks for pointing that out.

In all seriousness, who cares where Belichick gets his #1 CBs if he can get consistent good to elite play out of the position? It is a silly argument that we should discount what he did because he didn't draft either Butler or Jackson, but found them after the draft.

Butler and Jackson were UDFA for the Pats. Yes, it does say something. Belichick is great at finding diamonds in the rough at that position. Thanks for pointing that out.

In all seriousness, who cares where Belichick gets his #1 CBs if he can get consistent good to elite play out of the position? It is a silly argument that we should discount what he did because he didn't draft either Butler or Jackson, but found them after the draft.
You assumed that I was being critical of Bill. I was not.

With Mills, Jones, Phillps and Dugger there is quality there but we need some qualty depoth

With Mills, Jones, Phillps and Dugger there is quality there but we need some qualty depoth

We need to double dip in the draft, CB and FS. Also LB and DT. Let's hope we sign a DE and WR in FA. Then we can go with @captain stone 's idea and trade down for 4 picks in Rounds 2 and 3. But if a top CB is available at 21 (Elam, Booth) I think we draft them.

He was the best CB we had. Now we have nothing.

Bill also let Gilmore, Revis, and Talib go and Ty. He does make mistakes. He's human.

If this was about guaranteed money then Kraft didn't want to dish out more up front cash like he did last season. He's got a wedding to pay for.
Get a hold of yourself.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back