PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Player Departure JC Jackson Bolting to the Bolts

Well, about some comments (not specifics, just the general idea) "Chargers are for real", "Taking advantage of Herbert in a rookie deal" etc...

Well, Herbert was in a 2nd year (after a good rookie year) and the Chargers didn't make the playoffs. The Patriots did, with a rookie QB and an improved roster. We also beat that same Chargers.

The idea that we let Jackson go because we are not there yet or we are not contenders so that's a great signing for the Chargers and bad loss for the Patriots is silly. The Pats is just as contender as the Chargers, if not more.

Gotta trust the decision, the deal was not a reset market deal, was fair enough but our cap is limited.

Personally, I think it's an offensive era, I hope we get into that same roster building mindset (QB in a rookie deal) and load on offense.
Why do we have to trust the decision? I was always under the impression we weren't going to re-sign Jackson but he didn't sign an outrageous contract in LA.

We need to double dip in the draft, CB and FS. Also LB and DT. Let's hope we sign a DE and WR in FA. Then we can go with @captain stone 's idea and trade down for 4 picks in Rounds 2 and 3. But if a top CB is available at 21 (Elam, Booth) I think we draft them.
Agree. Drafting a physically talented, sticky, boundary CB is the #1 priority. Sign a mid-tier vet so the rook isn't thrown to the wolves Week 1.

Why do we have to trust the decision? I was always under the impression we weren't going to re-sign Jackson but he didn't sign an outrageous contract in LA.
Yea the contract does seem to be a bit less than what most of us felt he would fetch in the open market.

It just comes down to Bill not thinking he was worth the big bucks.

Time will prove him to be right or wrong.

Yea the contract does seem to be a bit less than what most of us felt he would fetch in the open market.

It just comes down to Bill not thinking he was worth the big bucks.

Time will prove him to be right or wrong.
Honestly he never stuck me as a Bill type of Patriot. Always seemed to have more of an Asante Samuel personality than a Devin McCourty personality. A lot of it is the nature of the position but JC made a few eyebrow raising moves in the last year or two. Nothing signaling anything too worrisome but just things I doubt Bill cared for. Talking crap about Tua right after the Dolphins beat us, a random live feed from his Instagram of him getting dressed in the locker room for practice, and just generally more of a quotable guy with reporters. JC was one I just never assumed would be back but letting him walk for a reasonable deal does sting a little bit more.

Honestly he never stuck me as a Bill type of Patriot. Always seemed to have more of an Asante Samuel personality than a Devin McCourty personality. A lot of it is the nature of the position but JC made a few eyebrow raising moves in the last year or two. Nothing signaling anything too worrisome but just things I doubt Bill cared for. Talking crap about Tua right after the Dolphins beat us, a random live feed from his Instagram of him getting dressed in the locker room for practice, and just generally more of a quotable guy with reporters. JC was one I just never assumed would be back but letting him walk for a reasonable deal does sting a little bit more.
Overall I think BB has modified his position re: social media/players more chatty but JC has perhaps pushed Bill's boundaries in that regard.

At the end of the day I think the decision was more of a football/financial.

Tough loss nonetheless as he was productive

Overall I think BB has modified his position re: social media/players more chatty but JC has perhaps pushed Bill's boundaries in that regard.

At the end of the day I think the decision was more of a football/financial.

Tough loss nonetheless as he was productive
Agreed I know it's early but on paper our cornerback group looks rough right now.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
Damn. I hate this time of year and the annual brain/talent drain, and then the inevitable questions as to whether the Pats should have paid to retain a talented player.

He went cheap at 16.5 M, I thought he would get 20M but either number was too much for the Pats considering their Cap position. I hate to lose him but money matters. We need players that can catch the passes from Mac. Get rid of Harry, IMO, just because he sucks, good blocker but separation and pass catching was the assignment, he is a failure for NE

Let's hope JC's signing lights a fire under Slowquan @ss. A UDFA who worked his @ss off and cashed in.
Agreed, but we just traded Wino to the Browns for a LBer who ran an almost identical 40 at the Combine as SloJuan, 4.65 v. 4.64.

Terrible speed for a corner that we traded UP to pick in the second round.

Agreed, but we just traded Wino to the Browns for a LBer who ran an almost identical 40 at the Combine as SloJuan, 4.65 v. 4.64.

Terrible speed for a corner that we traded UP to pick in the second round.
Salt in the wound forgot we traded up up to get him... A typical Beli Reach pick.

That’s not as much as I thought he would even get paid. Damn.

16.5 per year is definitely worth the price of a top tier corner in today’s market. I’m surprised the Pats didn’t franchise tag him so they could at least get a pick back. That’s bad asset management. Like how the Celtics lost Gordon Hayward for nothing.

so bill the GM now values old yes men who'll toe the company line (Slater, Mccourty, hoyer) than talent (Jackson).... not looking great.... just wait till they bring back the punter at $5M

an elite punter is easily worth $5M

16.5 per year is definitely worth the price of a top tier corner in today’s market. I’m surprised the Pats didn’t franchise tag him so they could at least get a pick back. That’s bad asset management. Like how the Celtics lost Gordon Hayward for nothing.
I thought we could have too but the Nelson Agholor and Davon Godchaux's contracts hurt us in this situation. Cutting them this year hurts the Team and nobody wants them I think we would have to throw in a Third Round pick for anybody to take either but we need the picks.

Its 40 m the first two years so quite front loaded and i think like gilmore he will be looking to restructure the deal before it is over.

JC Jackson will be in tough this year:

Adams x 2
Hill x 2
Sutton x 2
AJ Brown
Kupp/Woods/Van Jefferson
Samuel
DK
Hopkins

Yikes....

I'm missing some I'm sure.

There was talk that JC was one of the free lancers Bill had a problem with last year.

Often players who pick up a lot of INT's are out of position a lot.

I don't watch the tape, but Josh Allen lit up the defense twice.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back