PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

James Sanders cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's funny how Asante thinks there is a double standard with him and Ty Law. Ty Law was a physical corner who would press and jam receivers at the line, and who you could leave by himself without devoting a safety behind him. He also tackled well. Asante is a one trick pony who can't tackle, refuses or is unable to press and jam, and doesn't give you a numbers advantage because you can't trust him alone without help.

I like his tat-"get paid". Should be "get lost"

I wish Sanders all the best. He was a solid vet, a stabilizing force in the secondary, and a guy who really overachieved, despite the insane expectations from many fans.

Sure, he wasn't a Pro Bowler or a HOF candidate. He was the 32nd DB drafted in 2005, 133rd overall. What exactly were we expecting at that slot?

People always trashed him for sucking but he really overachieved when you look at where he started, and how far he came. If he had Meriweather's athleticism, he could have been a great player.

But he doesn't. He's just a guy who worked hard and improved every year, a mid-round pick that carved out a nice career. I wish him all the best and thank him for all his efforts in NE, even if they weren't all Pro Bowl caliber moments.

Samuel is a pretty good coverage corner not just a ball hawk. Some of you act like he's Johnathan Wilhite only with more picks. Having said that I think the pats are doing fine without him for now. Bodden and Dmac both get interceptions and are a lot more physical than Asante.

Samuel is a pretty good coverage corner not just a ball hawk. Some of you act like he's Johnathan Wilhite only with more picks. Having said that I think the pats are doing fine without him for now. Bodden and Dmac both get interceptions and are a lot more physical than Asante.

Sure...he is a good coverage corner...in a cover 2.

I saw one of the worst attempted tackles in the Lions game when the TE made a catch and Sanders didn't hit hard enough at all. Sanders is all done. He had some ok seasons w/ us-I hope Merriweather is next...he reminds me of Maroney...no balls

Rodney Harrison had that edge...he played ANGRY.

We need attitude and players that want to hit.

Sergio Brown must be impressing, the #3 safety gets a good amount of snaps.

No way its Ihdigbo, super slow. Good special teams player though. Ross Ventrone is fodder, Barrett as the #4?

Re: James sanders cut (merged)

Given that they were already $10-12mm under the cap, not sure how this helps any. They didn't need cap space to sign someone. There are few $12mm players available in free agency right now.

I hope this was not a salary cap move, but simply a decision by the coaching staff that he was not one of the 8-10 best secondary players.

Didn't we find out this year that unused cap space gets rolled over into following years? Isn't that how the Eagles have signed so many top players?

If so, then it always makes sense to cut players who aren't coming near their pay grade for production. And it's not a bad principle to establish and follow regardless.

Just sayin'. We're thin at safety. If it's just Chung next year, that won't cut it. Unless Dowling is going to play safety (which I am still dubious about), then you might have to get used to:

11-22-10-Brandon-Meriweather.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if, by this time next year, Chung is the only Safety still on the roster from 2010.
I think that Bill drafts a Safety early (top-100) in 2012's draft, plus targets one of consequence in free agency after this season.

I now wish that Bill & Dashon Goldson had closed the $$ gap btwn them and made a deal.

Last edited:
I wish James Sanders all the best looks like the Falcons are first in line for his services.

James Sanders visiting the Falcons | ProFootballTalk

Just hours after James Sanders was released by the Patriots, he has other teams in hot pursuit.
First in line are the Atlanta Falcons, who will meet with Sanders on Tuesday, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.
Hope he signs there in atlanta. Would hate to see him on the colts or jets(not that there's any talk he will). Atlanta would probably be a good place for him.

Hope he signs there in atlanta. Would hate to see him on the colts or jets(not that there's any talk he will). Atlanta would probably be a good place for him.

I don't see the Colts signing him. Sanders is a FS and the Colts have a damn good FS over there in Bethea.

Actually it could be rather amusing watching the reaction of Colts fans to the news that their team signed a safety by the name of Sanders that is coming off an injury.

I don't see the Colts signing him. Sanders is a FS and the Colts have a damn good FS over there in Bethea.

You never know, they have 2 good safeties over there maybe he'd rotate in or something. Might be a starting job out there for him somewhere though.

I saw one of the worst attempted tackles in the Lions game when the TE made a catch and Sanders didn't hit hard enough at all. Sanders is all done. He had some ok seasons w/ us-I hope Merriweather is next...he reminds me of Maroney...no balls

Rodney Harrison had that edge...he played ANGRY.

We need attitude and players that want to hit.

He came in high on Scheffler, who is way bigger than him, and couldn't get leverage. It was a bad play, but I don't see how that means he's done. Then again, given how little sense the rest of your post makes, maybe that's just par for the course.

Sanders is a poor tackler for a free Safety, mostly because of the bad angles he takes. He and Guyton in the middle together scared the crap out of me, and there were numerous double misses between them leading to big plays -- the Ray Rice opening TD in the 2009 playoffs comes to mind.

Sanders is a smart player and usually was in the right position, but he just cant execute physically at a starter level, and is not a committed special teamer. Sergio Brown has been getting better and better, so it's not surprising he beat out Sanders.

Would not mind if the Colts or Jets signed him. He sucks and we can take advantage of him.

Didn't we find out this year that unused cap space gets rolled over into following years? Isn't that how the Eagles have signed so many top players?

If so, then it always makes sense to cut players who aren't coming near their pay grade for production. And it's not a bad principle to establish and follow regardless.

The Eagles signed so many "top players" because they had a TON of cap space to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back