PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

James Sanders cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: James sanders cut (merged)

Schefter just tweeted it.

Hopefully this means we're going after another safety, because as of right now, even if you have faith in Sergio Brown pulling a Kyle Arrington, that leaves 3 capable safeties on the roster, *maybe* 4 if you count Dowling. After watching Ihedigbo on Saturday, I hope he's exclusively a STer, because he has no business playing safety.

Ihedigbo looked really slow playing safety last night.

Last edited:

Not many folks seem to give him much love but I think that Josh "Syd" Barrett, now healthy, will make the team in the safety depth/special teamer role.

I've wanted sanders gone for so long. If we get rid of guyton next I might actually shed tears of joy.

I've said he wasn't very good for a long time...I was always called a troll and a stinkerbum for it.

I wondered why they signed him to such a lucrative contract. And I wonder if anyone else tries to pick him up.

I've wanted sanders gone for so long. If we get rid of guyton next I might actually shed tears of joy.

You just made me LOL for 5 minutes...and I'm still laughing :rofl:

Last edited:
It Is What It Is » A closer look at the decision to release James Sanders

The 27-year-old Sanders, who was selected in the fourth round of the 2005 draft out of Fresno State, was one of the steadiest defensive backs in New England since he first arrived. At a position where the Patriots have sought stability since the retirement of Rodney Harrison, Sanders was a consistent and durable presence on the back line for New England: He played in 84 games with 49 starts over his first six NFL seasons (2005-10), totaling 300 tackles (217 solo), one sack and eight interceptions for 172 yards and two touchdowns.

“[A] tough release there with James Sanders,” Patriots coach Bill Belichick said on a Monday afternoon conference call. “James has been a really good guy to have on this team, a hard-working kid. He developed form the time he came through to us as a draft choice out of Fresno. He was a solid team player for us. It’s just part of the moves. We needed to release some people and he was a tough one.”

The safety position has been in a fluid state all summer long, with the Patriots shuffling different combinations in and out of the lineup throughout camp and the first three preseason games. In that stretch, Sanders was mostly sidelined with a hamstring problem — he had only been on the field for four practices before his first preseason game action Saturday night against the Lions.

Ultimately, what may have led to a parting of the ways between the Patriots and Sanders was his contract. Sanders was due to make $2.8 million in base salary this season, which New England may have felt was too steep given the fact that he could project to be a backup safety at this point. (With the Patriots $12.5 million under the cap — according to this report from Pro Football Talk — it begs the question: Is New England preparing to make some sort of move?)

Going forward, the Patriots now have Meriweather, Chung, Sergio Brown, Josh Barrett and newcomer James Ihedigbo at safety. In addition, Ross Ventrone returns to the mix, as he was added to the roster on Monday (along with wide receiver Tiquan Underwood). However, the spot certainly bears watching, in the preseason finale and beyond. New England has already brought in veteran safeties Darren Sharper and Renaldo Hill for workouts, and countless others will be available when the first round of cuts are completed by Tuesday at 4 p.m. In addition, others options could hit the market when teams must cut to 53 next week.

Ihedigbo looked really slow playing safety last night.

I was not impressed by ihedigbo at all..

Interesting move, and not one that's really making sense to me at the moment. Future moves will probably clear it up.

Sanders attempted tackle Saturday night gave me a Monty Beisel flashback from a pre-season game against the Giants ( I think a scrub backup QB carried Beisal 10 yards). I remember reading that was BB was livid about Beisal's poor tackling technique and that was his last straw in New England. I wondered if Sanders was in trouble after that play -

Good luck to Sanders - he will land somewhere

Last edited:

If I start calling for Mayo to be cut or released this year, can I say that I was right as long as it happens at some point in the next 10 years?

I dunno why people who have been calling for Sanders to be cut since 2006 would consider this to be a kind of vindication. If you look at it that way, everyone's right eventually.

Last edited:

Arguably the weakest position on the team just got weaker.....and Merriweather is now the seasoned vet? Sigh....

In Bill I trust.....In Bill I trust.....In Bill I trust.....

I'm having a tough time believing BB will start the season with this group of safeties. They will either scrounge around for a guy from the last round of cuts, trade for someone or sign one of the guys they've worked out.

Last edited:
Watched a 2003 pats dvd the other night and was reminded of how much Eugene Wilson kicked ass that year. Crazy how his career totally nosedived after such a promising beginning. He was a perfect complement to Rodney that year.

Doesn't sound like Sanders is returning to the Pats for less money:

James Sanders shocked by release | espnBoston

"They just said it was time to move on and they felt I earned the opportunity to choose where I wanted to go rather than get traded somewhere I wouldn't want to go," Sanders said. "They said I earned that much from [Coach Belichick] and the team, so they released me and gave me the opportunity to test the market."

While caught off guard by the decision, Sanders spoke highly of his time with the team.

"Just playing for a winning organization, one of the top organizations in this league, and having the opportunity to play for a Hall of Fame coach," Sanders said, when asked about what he enjoyed the most from his six-plus years in New England. "Obviously, I’ll never forget playing for Coach Belichick. He's a tough, demanding coach. I had some great times here. It would have been nice to win a Super Bowl, but hopefully I'll have another chance with a new team."

Last edited:
The Herald uses a slightly different headline for the same commentary:

James Sanders voices shock and disappointment over getting his walking papers today from the Patriots

Was an explanation provided?

”No, not really. He just said it was time for both of us to move on and wished me the best,” Sanders said when reached by phone a short time ago. ”He said he felt like he owed it to me to release me, instead of trade me to somewhere I didn’t want to go. I don’t know how much of that was true. But that was it.”

When asked if he felt his hamstring injury hampered his chances of sticking, Sanders voiced some displeasure about not being able to show more during training camp.

”I feel like I really didn’t get a chance to show them what I could do. I had had only 4 days of practicing healthy, or 100 percent . . . obviously that was all they needed to see, or all that they were looking for. I don’t know,” he said. ”I felt great great before I pulled my hamstring. I felt great all off-season. This past week, I felt like I was getting my football legs under me. I felt like I was moving good, feeling good. I was just surprised with the decision they made. I’m disappointed I won’t get a chance to get on the field with them (in the regular season). ”

Last edited:

You guys can laugh and hate on my opinon but:

- Branch makes 2.2 million this year. Is our highest paid WR. Yet is like our 5th option when it comes to the passing game (Welker, Gronkowski, Hernandez, Woodhead/Law Firm, Ochocino/Branch)
- Highly doubt Branch is here after this year. He's a free agent in 2012.
- Branch is 32 years old and nearing the end of his career. Where Farnham is just starting his and puts forth the effort i think Belichick looks for and likes.

Sorry going off topic. Hope some DB help is coming. Not confident in our DB corps atm.

Branch is making $2.2M. Ocho is making $6M. Branch has a track record with Brady. Ocho is just trying to get on the same page with Brady. He turned 33 back in January... Buddy Farnum is a PS player. He's never had a meaningful snap on a first team NFL offense let alone against an NFL first team defense...He's been signed and released from the PS three times in a year...:rolleyes:

Bill loves effort. Just ask Gutierrez or Bam or even James Sanders what that nets you at the end of the day if you don't exhibit (or can't even earn a shot at exhibiting) NFL level talent...

Last edited:
Watched a 2003 pats dvd the other night and was reminded of how much Eugene Wilson kicked ass that year. Crazy how his career totally nosedived after such a promising beginning. He was a perfect complement to Rodney that year.

Injuries took a toll and I think Felger nailed it when he labeled him one of those players who couldn't play and think at the same time. Rodney thought for the group in the backfield and that allowed guys to just play. When he went down the whole unit all struggled...

The Pats had the 5th ranked pass defense in 2007. FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2007 DEFENSIVE EFFICIENCY RATINGS and Samuels 6 INTS helped NE get to the Super Bowl Asante Samuel NFL & AFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com I dont see Butler or the other scrubs below him helping the NE pass D to get better.

And you think Butler and Wilhite can do better? Really? Butler was on the field last Saturday during 2 TDs.

LOL. Aside from the Philly game, he didn't help us get to the SB. I looked up the games he got INT's.
Bills, Bengals, Browns, Redskins, and two against the Eagles (one for a td).

Asante is a pure Cover 2 corner, despite whatever asinine idea he has in his head about him.
This is the player who would thought BB had something against him.

"I ain’t never said it, but Belichick, I just felt like he had a thing for me," Samuel said. "He had something against me. I have no idea why. He was going to start Troy Brown, a receiver, at nickel [corner] and I’m over here sitting healthy and he don’t want to even play me."

Samuel felt he wasn’t ever full appreciated for his 22 picks in a Patriots uniform, blaming the media and Belichick for that one, too.

"Ty Law in New England, he’s making all these picks," Samuel said. "Oh, he’s a great corner, this and that. But I all of a sudden go and do it (and it’s), ‘Oh, he’s in a Cover 2 defense, that’s why he isn’t as good and this and that.’ But when Ty Law does it, it’s all gravy."

Finally, Samuel takes on the notion that people criticize the fact that he doesn’t absolutely love to tackle. You think that? Yup, you’re drinking Haterade.

"If you can’t respect that, you’re hatin’," Samuel said. "Anybody else had those stats, people would be going crazy.

Asante Samuel was a Cover-2 CB most of the time. He, more often than not, had a S over the top and was playing a shorter zone (with the occasionally Cover-3 or Cover-4 deep zone). Lot of picks, no tackles, because he hovered back and let someone else do the physical work.

Ty Law could occasionally play man, and that let guys like Rodney Harrison blitz. The Safeties never really blitzed in the Samuel-as-main-CB years, because Hoodie could never afford to not have a S over the top of Asante Samuel. If he didn’t get a pick (and that was 50% of the time), it was a TD at the other end, unless that S was in place over the top.

Obvious example being helmet-ball – Samuel’s in a short zone, comes off his man because he’s eyeballing the QB, and then inexplicably comes forward to attack Eli Manning instead of dropping back to get into a passing lane. And sure enough, Hot Rod was (almost!) in position to save Asante’s butt.
If you read the rest of that article, Asante Samuel thought it was a conspiracy by Hoodie to keep Samuel out of the Hall of Fame…

This is an eagle's reporter's thoughts about the great Asante

“I see a free-lancing cornerback on one side — Asante Samuel — who has a terrific knack for intercepting passes, but is allergic to tackling and playing press coverage, and frequently got his lunch eaten on bubble screens last season as teams started noticing he was lining up in another zip code,” Domowitch wrote last week.

Oh, I also remember this little tibbit from the idiot
Back in 2004 Asante Samuel flipped out when Belichick played Troy Brown at CB instead of him.
"I ain’t never said it, but Belichick, I just felt like he had a thing for me," Samuel said [to Mosher]. "He had something against me. I have no idea why. He was going to start Troy Brown, a receiver, at nickel [corner] and I’m over here sitting healthy and he don’t want to even play me."

If you really think that the 'great Asante' was the reason we went 18-0, then you have to blame him for Black Sunday
The Giants scored 17 points and Asante Samuel was responsible for 7 of them.
He also blew the coverage on helmet-catch – Asante Samuel was meant to be man-covering David Tyree, covered him for a while until Eli Manning broke out of the pocket, and then for mindbogglingly stupid reasons let his man come uncovered and tried to charge down Eli for the sack. He was only incredibly lucky that Rodney Harrison saw Asante leave his guy, because otherwise Tyree would’ve been completely uncovered and might have even scored.

So that’s two ways in which Asante Samuel screwed up in the most important defensive drive of a Super Bowl.

In case you bring up his personal accolades especially from his last year. Here is my rebuttal.
Samuel's stats were artificial. He was only asked to do the short zone in a Cover-2, so anything deep wasn’t assigned to him in terms of attributing blame for blown coverages, etc. Samuel wouldn’t ever go deep, so he never had a deep pass listed against his name. Quintin Mikell saved Samuel’s bacon so many times it wasn’t funny in that respect. Heck, even Cris Collingsworth said the same thing during one of the Eagles SNF game last year.

I suspect that’s why Andy Reid was so intent on replacing Samuel in the lineup – a) he’s very limited in terms of what he can/will do, and b) no more Mikell in 2011. He’s great if he plays to his strength (he’s only got one – sitting in a short zone and reading the QB), but if he’s asked to do more… bleh.

He knows it, too. He flipped out whenever anyone called him a “Cover-2 CB” in New England
Ty Law in New England, he’s making all these picks," Samuel said. "Oh, he’s a great corner, this and that. But I all of a sudden go and do it (and it’s), ‘Oh, he’s in a Cover 2 defense, that’s why he isn’t as good and this and that.’ But when Ty Law does it, it’s all gravy."

"If you can’t respect that, you’re hatin’," Samuel said. "Anybody else had those stats, people would be going crazy."

Cool story, Asante. Yet both Belichick and Reid have considered Samuel expendable at one time or another Reid reported wanted to trade McNabb + Samuel for Asomugha a couple of years ago.

Oooh btw, since you really want the 'great Asante' back in NE, why don't we also bring in another idiot-AD/AT
Good riddance locker room cancers.

Injuries took a toll and I think Felger nailed it when he labeled him one of those players who couldn't play and think at the same time. Rodney thought for the group in the backfield and that allowed guys to just play. When he went down the whole unit all struggled...

Definitely agreed. Rodney made a world of difference and our safety position hasn't been the same since he tore his acl against the Steelers in 05.

It's funny how Asante thinks there is a double standard with him and Ty Law. Ty Law was a physical corner who would press and jam receivers at the line, and who you could leave by himself without devoting a safety behind him. He also tackled well. Asante is a one trick pony who can't tackle, refuses or is unable to press and jam, and doesn't give you a numbers advantage because you can't trust him alone without help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back