PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jakobi Meyers a good bet to lead the team in targets, receptions, and yards

Would that be to hide him and create a mismatch? Sometimes we see teams do that with WRs.
Free/delayed release but it also forces the defense to shift to strength. If we have a TE inline it'll almost guarantee a LB on TE.

One or two of these early on might help get the defense thinking right out the gate. Maybe red zone run and then some type of leak or angle route later in the game.

Free/delayed release but it also forces the defense to shift to strength. If we have a TE inline it'll almost guarantee a LB on TE.

One or two of these early on might help get the defense thinking right out the gate. Maybe red zone run and then some type of leak or angle route later in the game.

Yeah, a form of deception but also a guy who could be the lead blocking FB.

Yeah, a form of deception but also a guy who could be the lead blocking FB.
He's done a great job blocking up front this season, both he and Henry have been solid there.

He's done a great job blocking up front this season, both he and Henry have been solid there.
The run blocking has been inconsistent. More consistency would help a lot.

The run blocking has been inconsistent. More consistency would help a lot.
I don't disagree, the run-blocking has definitely been an issue. But I can tell you looking at every play this season for a project I'm working on, they've both been pretty solid. The rest of the line...that's been a different story. ;)

I don't disagree, the run-blocking has definitely been an issue. But I can tell you looking at every play this season for a project I'm working on, they've both been pretty solid. The rest of the line...that's been a different story. ;)
Good to hear. The thing about run blocking is every player can block perfectly except one misses his block and you have a poor play.
Impossible to judge individuals by overall results, need to do what you are doing. I wish I could find the time.

Good to hear. The thing about run blocking is every player can block perfectly except one misses his block and you have a poor play.
Impossible to judge individuals by overall results, need to do what you are doing. I wish I could find the time.
The snap counts have had me looking at players and watching the plays to figure out numbers, and when those guys are down in a stance on the end, it's hard to see them. So I've been watching that a little more closely and have noticed a little more this year than past years. They're in blocking on the vast majority of their plays and they've been consistent. Would be nice to see them a little more involved in the passing game, especially down near the goal line. Hopefully, we'll start to see more of that.

The snap counts have had me looking at players and watching the plays to figure out numbers, and when those guys are down in a stance on the end, it's hard to see them. So I've been watching that a little more closely and have noticed a little more this year than past years. They're in blocking on the vast majority of their plays and they've been consistent. Would be nice to see them a little more involved in the passing game, especially down near the goal line. Hopefully, we'll start to see more of that.
Henry has been very involved in the passing game. His stats project to 64/700/6 and the last 3 games have been better too.

I hope we will see more of that too. BB and JM usually "open" things up as the year progresses.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
the kid can't keep taking hits...this line has been repugnant protecting the team's biggest asset. One player I've come to realize will NEVER be of any value is as currently slotted is Wynn. I went along with the board experts when he was drafted and put aside my worries about his height and very short arms. We're a few seasons out and only the most diehard "I'M NEVER WRONG!!" Pats draft prognosticator still clings to this unicorn like belief that Wynn can play left tackle. He can fill in but as a full time LT he WILL get Mac clobbered and sent to either the disabled list or (worst case) the street. Football is warfare.Rule #1 Protect The King. If you allow your king to take razor sharp broadsides to his body and head, you'll eventually end up without a king...and then comes the next in succession Jack Squat.

the kid can't keep taking hits...this line has been repugnant protecting the team's biggest asset. One player I've come to realize will NEVER be of any value is as currently slotted is Wynn. I went along with the board experts when he was drafted and put aside my worries about his height and very short arms. We're a few seasons out and only the most diehard "I'M NEVER WRONG!!" Pats draft prognosticator still clings to this unicorn like belief that Wynn can play left tackle. He can fill in but as a full time LT he WILL get Mac clobbered and sent to either the disabled list or (worst case) the street. Football is warfare.Rule #1 Protect The King. If you allow your king to take razor sharp broadsides to his body and head, you'll eventually end up without a king...and then comes the next in succession Jack Squat.

Better late than never.

Yes. Absolutely. I think a bigger question is Bolden the only guy who can do this, and why deem Michel expendable if you won't play Stevenson or Taylor at all....

I feel like multiple examples now are piling up where organizational planning decisions haven't been fully congruent. I'll maybe summarize it sometime later this season. This has nothing to do with BB, I think he's the greatest ever, but it does speak to the staff around him....

Any part of the staff in particular that needs to be addressed? ;)

As bad luck would have it, the Pats decided to let go of Michel before White was lost for the year. Also, unlike most folks here, I think Bolden has done ok.

Any part of the staff in particular that needs to be addressed? ;)

As bad luck would have it, the Pats decided to let go of Michel before White was lost for the year. Also, unlike most folks here, I think Bolden has done ok.

I wouldn't mind playing Harris more on 3rd down and giving some 1st/2nd downs to Taylor or Stevenson. Harris could be lethal on 3rd down on passes. I assumed when they kept Taylor he could play like Burkhead but what's the point if the kid cannot play 3rd down ??

I wouldn't mind playing Harris more on 3rd down and giving some 1st/2nd downs to Taylor or Stevenson. Harris could be lethal on 3rd down on passes. I assumed when they kept Taylor he could play like Burkhead but what's the point if the kid cannot play 3rd down ??
I think the other issue with Taylor is the fact he's been terrible picking up the blitz. I specifically remember a play earlier this season where he got blown up and Mac got drilled. So, again, there other factors that are likely coming into play on this and I would have to believe that's an aspect of his game he's going to have to continue working on before the coaches trust him enough to put him out there.

I think the other issue with Taylor is the fact he's been terrible picking up the blitz. I specifically remember a play earlier this season where he got blown up and Mac got drilled. So, again, there other factors that are likely coming into play on this and I would have to believe that's an aspect of his game he's going to have to continue working on before the coaches trust him enough to put him out there.

Then put him in situations where he's not asked to be the "blitz picker-upper"... or find somebody from outside the building who might do it better.

Then put him in situations where he's not asked to be the "blitz picker-upper"... or find somebody from outside the building who might do it better.

Right. Why not give Taylor or Stevenson some more run-obvious plays on 1st and 2nd down, which keeps Harris fresh for more 3rd down plays. I think Harris can play more 3rd down. Harris seemed to be really lethal catching Mac on passes, that could be a good dynamic is find ways to play Harris more on 3rd down and keep him fresh by playing some guys a bit more on 1st and 2nd down.

Dinged now and who knows to what extent, but RB Rex Burkhead has been rotting away on the Texans bench.
In 4 games played, 1 rush (-1 yds) / 2 catches (11 yds)

Swap provisional 7th rounders in 2037

Dinged now and who knows to what extent, but RB Rex Burkhead has been rotting away on the Texans bench.
In 4 games played, 1 rush (-1 yds) / 2 catches (11 yds)

Swap provisional 7th rounders in 2037

Can he play ?

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down