PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Julian Edelman overrated???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welker wasn't himself the first year back from ACL surgery. We shouldn't expect 2014-2016 Edelman next year. He will likely be diminished to some extent

welker tore his ACL during week 17. edelman tore his ACL during the 3rd week of preseason. that's a little more than 4 extra months that edelman will have to recover compared to welker in 2010. hopefully that will make some difference.

Saying that Edelman is overrated due to playing with TB12 is ridiculous. All that crap about being "product of the system" is nonsense. Why is he overrated? Because he did not get 1600 yards and 15 TD or he is with the organisation which produces trophies and is a real team. Patriots offense has been the best in the league for many years and it is an effect of team spirit I think. We lose one player by one every year and we are still contenders. Our offense is based on production of many players and it is very reasonable. Edelman is one of them and having about 1000 yards per season and a few TDs is a great achievement in such balanced offense. To me a proven and reliable player is a player you can count on during the most difficult situations on the field. And this is an exact definition of Julian Edelman.
I hate anticipating about players. If Edelman plays for another team.....If Edelman plays with an average QB....Who cares, what if. Let's stick to the facts. He plays for the best team in NFL, he's got trophies, he seems to be a decent man and player in a contrary to some divas with over 1500 yards and no titles.

We win the SuperBowl last year if Edelman played.

Fact.
I dunno. If you were talking about Hightower, then I may be more inclined to agree. The offense scored 34 in a SB victory the year before, and put up 33 without him a few months ago (without a punt, right?).

I think the only real argument in terms of getting more offensive production would be the decision of Brandin Cooks to try and jump over a DB instead of picking up an easy first and goal. That terrible choice led to coming away with zero points because Gost then proceeded to miss the FG, and that was a spot where they almost certainly should’ve had 7. I think common sense states that having Edelman would increase the odds of winning, but their offensive output saw over 600+ total yards, so for me, it’s hard to imagine them improving upon that kind of showing, whether it was Julian Edelman or Jerry Rice.

Saying that Edelman is overrated due to playing with TB12 is ridiculous. All that crap about being "product of the system" is nonsense. Why is he overrated? Because he did not get 1600 yards and 15 TD or he is with the organisation which produces trophies and is a real team. Patriots offense has been the best in the league for many years and it is an effect of team spirit I think. We lose one player by one every year and we are still contenders. Our offense is based on production of many players and it is very reasonable. Edelman is one of them and having about 1000 yards per season and a few TDs is a great achievement in such balanced offense. To me a proven and reliable player is a player you can count on during the most difficult situations on the field. And this is an exact definition of Julian Edelman.
I hate anticipating about players. If Edelman plays for another team.....If Edelman plays with an average QB....Who cares, what if. Let's stick to the facts. He plays for the best team in NFL, he's got trophies, he seems to be a decent man and player in a contrary to some divas with over 1500 yards and no titles.
Edelman’s the kind of guy that you may need to think twice about in terms of making him one of the captains, simply because he may be too intense for his own good and his actions could theoretically cause some sort of tension amongst teammates. That pretty much describes the intensity that he shows on every play, whether that’s in practice or on Sundays. He’s just a beast.

Hi NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE IN A FREAKING SUPER BOWL!

Just STOP the Edelman dissection dissertation...it's making me ****in' PUKE!!!!

He’s overrated in this sense, he gets compared to Welker a lot and because we won with him, people kind of put him on more of a pedestal. When in most measurable ways Welker was clearly superior.

Coming out of college, Edelman was a superior athlete to Welker in every way:

40: 4.52s vs 4.65s
VJ: 36" vs 30"
BJ: 10'3 vs 9'5
20 shuttle: 3.92s vs 4.02s
3-cone: 6.62s vs 7.09s

NFL Draft Scout----Powered By: The Sports Xchange
NFL Draft Scout----Powered By: The Sports Xchange

I dunno. If you were talking about Hightower, then I may be more inclined to agree. The offense scored 34 in a SB victory the year before, and put up 33 without him a few months ago (without a punt, right?).

I think the only real argument in terms of getting more offensive production would be the decision of Brandin Cooks to try and jump over a DB instead of picking up an easy first and goal. That terrible choice led to coming away with zero points because Gost then proceeded to miss the FG, and that was a spot where they almost certainly should’ve had 7. I think common sense states that having Edelman would increase the odds of winning, but their offensive output saw over 600+ total yards, so for me, it’s hard to imagine them improving upon that kind of showing, whether it was Julian Edelman or Jerry Rice.

You are forgetting Edelman's skills as a defensive back.

If Edelman is healthy, maybe Jordan Richards never sees the field :cool:

Don’t see how a 7th round pick and former QB turned WR can be overrated. He’s underrated if anything.

So, we're saying that Edelman should be rated as a 7th rounder and compared to 7th rounders. Is that what's meant? There is no question that by this measure, Edelman was under-rated, and a huge find.

But that isn't the issue being addressed. Many patriot fans consider Edelman on the very best WR's in the NFL, certainly one of the best slot receivers. And, yes, fans tend to over-rate their own. So, the writer believes that Edelman is over-rated, more than anyone else on the patriots.

Depending on who Edelman is compared to, this is true, or not. Obviously, he was under-rated in the draft, even if he took years to develop. Those who consider Edelman one of the best WR's in the league over-rate him. Edelman is indeed one of the best punt returners of all time. Edelman is one of the best utility players (slot and returner) in the NFL.

Beyond that, different fan bases believe differently. If Edelman played for another team, I don't think pats fans would consider him one of the best. But, Jules plays for us. As long as he does, he is one of the best in the league.

Last edited:
He's underrated, if anything. His physical attributes are nothing special but he creates separation on his own better than just about anyone in the league.

He may not have the fastest 40 time, but his agility drills (3 cone and short shuttle) are, too my understanding, in the elite range or at least were when he originally tested. These drills just don’t seem to be as highly regarded as the ability to run fast in a straight line, unless you are scouting for the Patriots...

You don't win two SB's without him so who cares if people think he's overrated. Guys like Brandon Marshall who most of the national media would choose hasn't even played in a playoff game never mind having played at a level in two SBs to warrant an MVP.

welker tore his ACL during week 17. edelman tore his ACL during the 3rd week of preseason. that's a little more than 4 extra months that edelman will have to recover compared to welker in 2010. hopefully that will make some difference.

Welker clearly wasn't himself all year though, it's not as if he came back rusty and got better as the year went on. Also, he was younger and generally less beaten up than Edelman is at this point

I hope Edelman is back to his usual self but I expect that he will be less effective than many expect. He will be 32, coming off a major injury and a number of minor ones in the past few years. The chances that he is a top 15 WR aren't great given everything going against him. Even without the ACL tear, I think he'd be entering his decline phase anyway.

Edelman’s the kind of guy that you may need to think twice about in terms of making him one of the captains, simply because he may be too intense for his own good and his actions could theoretically cause some sort of tension amongst teammates. That pretty much describes the intensity that he shows on every play, whether that’s in practice or on Sundays. He’s just a beast.
I think he's perfect captain material.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft