PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Julian Edelman overrated???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welker was remarkable talent for us, and his numbers are insane, but if i had the choice between Welker and JE11, i'm taking Edelman all day. There's only one reason and that is purely down to the fact Edelman is a better clutch player.

Welkers our of the league because he got so many concussions throwing his body out to make amazing catches. That’s so unfair to say that. It basically comes down to Welker dropped a pass in a Super Bowl and Julian didn’t. You can’t discount everything he did because of a dropped pass.
I know that I attach far too much importance to Welker's dropped ball in the SB. It definitely colors my opinion and recollection of him. He was a truly great player, but he's been slightly diminished in my eyes since that game. I consider Edelman a better and more completee received and player. Not tons better, but better, at least to me.

If the argument is that Edelman is only perceived as good, and hence overrated, because of the system and QB, why does this argument not also apply to Welker? ;)

He was underrated. Now he's probably overrated (mostly by Pats fans) in terms of his impact going forward

His body has taken a beating the past few years, he's on the wrong side of 30 and his excellence relies upon agility which is among the first things to go as age and injuries set in. The days of him being a top 10-15 WR are likely dwindling if not gone forever.

Welker wasn't himself the first year back from ACL surgery. We shouldn't expect 2014-2016 Edelman next year. He will likely be diminished to some extent

I don't think I've ever seen such consistent, razor sharp execution by another WR. And that has absolutely zero to do with Brady or McD.

Anyone who's been to a Patriots camp that included Edelman, and has watched the WR drills, has seen exactly this. Edelman stands out, every drill.

Lets switch things up here. Who in the NFL is overrated? My choice for offense is Jarvis Landry. Never understood why he got so much attention for doing so little. Most of his receiving yards have little to no impact and he rarely gets into the endzone (2017 was an exception).

On defense, I'll nominate Vonteze Burfect. Every time I watch him play I don't see anything that really stands out besides him eventually losing his cool and cheap shotting someone.

Last edited:
Anyone who's been to a Patriots camp that included Edelman, and has watched the WR drills, has seen exactly this. Edelman stands out, every drill.

I have, indeed.

It's an amazing thing to see it on TV or in a video clip. However, in person, relatively close to the field, it's almost superhuman.

I hope someone forwards this article to Edelman, give him a little extra motivation to show everyone how overrated he is

Lets switch things up here. Who in the NFL is overrated? My choice for offense is Jarvis Landry. Never understood why he got so much attention for doing so little. Most of his receiving yards have little to no impact and he rarely gets into the endzone (2017 was an exception).

On defense, I'll nominate Vonteze Burfect. Every time I watch him play I don't see anything that really stands out besides him eventually losing his cool and cheap shotting someone.
Eli Manning.

You got a "funny" rating but what you said is extremely true.

Edelman is best at finding yards after a catch. He has a knack for creating openings that I don't remember seeing from anyone else. I sure hope he recovers from his injury.

here kitty kitty kitty...Unca Joe has sumpin' for ya'...

GUEST_2138417218_1241637813.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back