PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Drew done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
jct said:
What is the difference between Bledsoe and Marino...
Bledsoe has a SB ring for winning an AFC Championship game.
Ok slam me now...

If Drew could stand it, I'd be happy to see him as Bradys backup.
We could trade Cassel for like a 2nd or 3rd.

Drew's massive ego couldn't stand it.
And in NO WAY would Belichick want this critical mistake prone over-rated thrower on his team.
Drew has never bothered to work to improve his mastery of the game off season. Instead, since he was in Pop Warner he's relied on his native intelligence and extraordinary arm and physical size. That's not enough to be a championship winner in the NFL.
His immobility and refusal to learn simple sidestep moves like Brady makes have made him the laudgingstock "Statue" that we know him for. I saw through this poser well before the Brady year but had to listen to years of exuses from Bledsoe Krishnas "Drew only needs...(followed by a litany of offensive positions) to win".

For those of you who actually WATCH football you'll remember two critical throws in the 2002 AFC Championship game against Pittsburgh. One RIGHT into the chest of a hands disabled LB. And another backwards over the head flip to God knows where that also fortunately for us was not intercepted.

The man is unwilling to learn.

PatsWickedPissah said:
I saw through this poser well before the Brady year but had to listen to years of exuses from Bledsoe Krishnas "Drew only needs...(followed by a litany of offensive positions) to win".

LOL, I was one of those, "All he needs is a monster line and..."

I am, however, a born again Bradian :)

Patriotic said:
Treated dishonestly here? Read "Patriot Reign", Drew. BB honestly thought Tom was better than you.

What was the real problem, IMO, is his pride was seriously wounded. I mean, he was the $100 million dollar franchise QB here at the time, and he was under the very non-BB impression that the QB job was his no matter what. That was his entitlement complex in full force. Unfortunately, he learned the hard way that BB does not run things on his football team that way....you either produce or you lose your job to someone who does.

Bella*chick said:
Bledsoe is contrasting this to his benching in New England in his press conference. Said the big difference is that he felt he was treated dishonestly here.

Well...it's early yet Drew. It will likely get dishonest if Tuna fails to give him back his job if Romo doesn't light it up. Drew remains in denal.

Apparently Tuna told him to stay ready just in case...;) Drew wanted his job back here when he was cleared to play. Didn't understand that if the guy who replaced you was outperforming you pre injury that was no given. Then really bristled when Brady lost and he still didn't get his job back because he didn't understand the evaluation process or how thy saw upside in the careful kid doing just enough and managing games they way they needed him to on what was always nothing more than a Cinderella team. Same deal in Buffalo where he claimed he suddenly wanted a chance to compete with any replacement in camp. Never understood that he was competing every time he started a game and basically he was playing himself out of these jobs.

Drew is stubborn and uncoachable. When he's really desperate he can toe the line for a game or two, but once he believes he's regained the right to run the team he reverts to the stubborn gunslinger determined to do it his way and not your way. Once again it wasn't just the ineptitude or immobility or bad decisions under pressure that resulted in a guy like Parcells making a move this drastic on the MNF stage, it was the refusal to run the play as designed and called in. He never even looked for TO in the rh corner, he went to Glenn covered to his left all the way.

Re: Drew is done?

Flying Fungi said:
last post on this dude

I am not attacking you other than characterizing you as a Bledsoe apologist--which--as you continue to make excuses for Drew, basically confirms my point.

I am not 'pulling back' from anything. I admit to not having qualified the fumbling assessment as thoroughly as I could have--not pulling back--just clarifying.

I am not pulling back on his play in Dallas and Buffalo--he has been poor enough to be benched for Losman and Romo. Further--take a look at Buffalo the seasons before 2001. Under Flutie, that same team was doing pretty damned good--so Bledsoe can be compared to Flutie and better than Alex Van Pelt/Rob Johnson/Shane Matthews, but not better than JP Losman?

Fleshed out my comments? Turned this around on you? Is this NEM, Jr I'm dealing with?

Nevermind--don't answer that--all set here--last word goes to you...oh no...wait for it...

Bledsoe is a stiff

there

your turn

Ok, I'll take that "last word"

1.) Proving you wrong about your assertions is not "making excuses". You being called on false assertions is what places like this are all about.

2.) You are wrong about the fumbles, as the numbers show. He's been no more fumble prone as a percentage of his sacks taken than Tom Brady or Carson Palmer have. Furthermore, his percentage of fumbles lost is better than that of both of those elite quarterbacks.

3.) Again, a quick look at the Buffalo records from the years before and after Bledsoe in contrast to the record from his 3 years there shows an enormous disparity in wins and losses, where the team was much better with him as the quarterback.

None of these items are excuses, they are refutation of false notions you put forth. Bledsoe has been selected to the Pro Bowl four times, so he's been better than mediocre for at least a fair portion of his career. That doesn't make him the best ever, but it doesn't make him a stiff, either.

Bella*chick said:
Bledsoe is contrasting this to his benching in New England in his press conference. Said the big difference is that he felt he was treated dishonestly here.

Bledsoe is, of course, referring to being promised a chance to compete for the starting job once he was better and then not getting it. He views it as being lied to. I view it as BB changing his mind and that BB likely really meant it when he said it. At any rate, BB made the right decision.

Last edited:
Re: Is Grogan done?

This thread has become almost comical. If this were 1984 we could easily replace the title of this thread, "is Drew done?", with "is Steve done?"

Patriots fans were 10 times more brutal on Grogan in his day than Bledsoe in his. Yet interestingly enough, Grogan is now looked back on as a hero in New England (and rightly so). I honestly don't understand the ire directed at Bledsoe. He was a Patriot, I rooted for him, he did well by New England, I wish him well.

jct said:
If Drew could stand it, I'd be happy to see him as Bradys backup.
We could trade Cassel for like a 2nd or 3rd.

I'm surprised this line hasn't drwn more comment.

Am I the only one who would prefer keeping Cassel and trading Bledsoe for whatever we could get in this scenario?

The Gr8est said:

Am I the only one who would prefer keeping Cassel and trading Bledsoe for whatever we could get in this scenario?

You're definitely not the only one.:)

If the cowboy's get back into having real games unlikely but could happen,
Drew will do what he's always done be a class guy and in the right circumstance succede.

This thread is a very good example of how people have spent his entire career making excuses for Drew.

How many posts are there in this thread knocking the Dallas running backs?

The truth is the Cowboys are 5th in the NFL in rushing at 138 yards per game and are averaging 4.3 yards per attempt.

I've seen very few posts on this board calling the Pats backs mediocre yet they are behind Dallas in both yards per game 131 and per carry 3.9.

Tomase has written a nice piece today about various former Patriots recalling Bledsoe's contribution to Patriots football. Jonathan Kraft is in there, and Tom Brady and Scott Zolak.

But I think the line that sums up how I feel about Drew is this one from Andre Tippett:

“Drew took us from the basement and gave us the opportunity to flirt at the top,†Tippett said. “Tom Brady pretty much took us over the top and those are things that we’re all very proud of. It’s great to be a part of the Patriots.â€

Tomase

The Gr8est said:

No chance that Belichick will ever work with Bledsoe again. None.

I would much rather have Cassel as a back up.

ironwasp said:
Tomase has written a nice piece today about various former Patriots recalling Bledsoe's contribution to Patriots football. Jonathan Kraft is in there, and Tom Brady and Scott Zolak.

But I think the line that sums up how I feel about Drew is this one from Andre Tippett:

“Drew took us from the basement and gave us the opportunity to flirt at the top,†Tippett said. “Tom Brady pretty much took us over the top and those are things that we’re all very proud of. It’s great to be a part of the Patriots.â€

Tomase

Tomase's article also quote's Brady as having very kind words for Drew calling him a "wonderful person" and how they regularly e-mail each other. Just adds to the mantra that Drew's a nice guy but as a QB . . . blah, blah, blah.

Also in the article Andre Tippett essentially answers this thread's question with a yes. I was surprised by Andre's candor or at least as Tomase framed it.

MoLewisrocks said:
Well...it's early yet Drew. It will likely get dishonest if Tuna fails to give him back his job if Romo doesn't light it up. Drew remains in denal.

Apparently Tuna told him to stay ready just in case...;) Drew wanted his job back here when he was cleared to play. Didn't understand that if the guy who replaced you was outperforming you pre injury that was no given. Then really bristled when Brady lost and he still didn't get his job back because he didn't understand the evaluation process or how thy saw upside in the careful kid doing just enough and managing games they way they needed him to on what was always nothing more than a Cinderella team. Same deal in Buffalo where he claimed he suddenly wanted a chance to compete with any replacement in camp. Never understood that he was competing every time he started a game and basically he was playing himself out of these jobs.

Drew is stubborn and uncoachable. When he's really desperate he can toe the line for a game or two, but once he believes he's regained the right to run the team he reverts to the stubborn gunslinger determined to do it his way and not your way. Once again it wasn't just the ineptitude or immobility or bad decisions under pressure that resulted in a guy like Parcells making a move this drastic on the MNF stage, it was the refusal to run the play as designed and called in. He never even looked for TO in the rh corner, he went to Glenn covered to his left all the way.

Let me just quote this. 'Drew is STUBBORN and UNCOACHABLE.'

Yeah, he did bring this team out of the basement, but was a HUGE part of the reason that the team fell into disarray when Parcells left town. He was Borges' spy, for christsake.

Let's just be happy for the few years he gave us, if we want to be nostalgic about 96', but that's it. He has got nothing else to contribute to professional level football. It is what it is.

Drew was done a long, long time ago and we were damn lucky to get a #1 pick for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back