PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Drew done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flying Fungi said:
I cannot give those 15 wins to Drew alone. Is that what you are trying to do?

2002 Drew has a point to make and has one of his best seasons ever...along with a 1500yd rusher and TWO 1000yd receivers
2003 Drew gets Travis Henry's 1500 total yards and is still 11tds/12ints
2004 Drew gets McGahee and Moulds with over 1000yds apiece and finishes 20/16 and a 76.6 rating
2005 Drew gets back with Glenn and Parcells and has a decent year with twin RB threats and a TE binky...and a WOW 83 rating...

So yeah...in 4 years since he left NE, he has inherited better skill players than Brady inherited and posted 86, 73, 77 and 84 ratings...with 52 (FIFTY-TWO!!) fumbles in FOUR YEARS!

mediocre????? yeah...by my book, that's mediocre...

Ok, so now you're comparing him to the best quarterback in the NFL and not Rob Johnson, at least showing a glimmer of sanity. However, you've changed your argument and have now fallen back on the fatally flawed qb ratings, as well as a "skill players" argument, and all to belittle the guy.

Again, it speaks for itself.

PatsWickedPissah said:
Please, let Drew go to Miami. Please.
I agree that the Tuna is done, Done, DONE. Ever since he hasn't had BB as DC, he's done squat. Overbearing owner and a headcase WR. Watching TO laugh like the braying jackass he is after droping the wide open short critical 4th down pass, how could ANYONE want him as a Patriot?
--------------

I would literally rather eat cow dung than see T.O. in a Patriot uniform. Please, if there is a god, never let this clown come to town. Could you imagine him all up in Brady's face hollering for the ball like the terd muffin he is.

holy smokes

Deus Irae said:
Ok, so now you're comparing him to the best quarterback in the NFL and not Rob Johnson, at least showing a glimmer of sanity. However, you've changed your argument and have now fallen back on the fatally flawed qb ratings, as well as a "skill players" argument, and all to belittle the guy.

Again, it speaks for itself.

okay--I'll strike the flawed Brady comparison--even though the Brady comparison was at the groundwork of many early Drew apologism.

drop the QB ratings as well--flawed or not, they are representative of performance.

the skill players point though--has merit--as Drew did not succeed sufficient to support your argument 'in a vacuum'. in fact, i think it is safe to say that Drew inherited a very strong defense in Buffalo as well as some very good skill players--same thing in Dallas. Drew did not have that luxury in New England under Pete Carroll and certainly after CuMar and Coates were gone.

regardless--I am comfortable with the evidence supporting my argument that Drew is a slightly above average QB at best.

I feel bad for Drew because I think as a person he is a great guy. But he just never had it. He can be good, he can be really good but not Tom Brady Super Bowl MVP good. Still a decent human being.

Flying Fungi said:
okay--I'll strike the flawed Brady comparison--even though the Brady comparison was at the groundwork of many early Drew apologism.

drop the QB ratings as well--flawed or not, they are representative of performance.

the skill players point though--has merit--as Drew did not succeed sufficient to support your argument 'in a vacuum'. in fact, i think it is safe to say that Drew inherited a very strong defense in Buffalo as well as some very good skill players--same thing in Dallas. Drew did not have that luxury in New England under Pete Carroll and certainly after CuMar and Coates were gone.

regardless--I am comfortable with the evidence supporting my argument that Drew is a slightly above average QB at best.

Here's what you said earlier:

Bledsoe sucks...I called a friend that is a huge Cowboys fan when Dallas obtained him and laaaaauuuughed my ass off..

So he's now improved from 'sucks' to slightly above average (yes, I saw the "at best"). I think that's a fair description of his game over the past few years. Whether I agree entirely or not, it's at least understandable, unlike the 'sucks' argument. As I said, I'm not an apologist, I just believe in giving players/coaches/etc... an honest appraisal.

Deus Irae said:
Here's what you said earlier:

So he's now improved from 'sucks' to slightly above average (yes, I saw the "at best"). I think that's a fair description of his game over the past few years. Whether I agree entirely or not, it's at least understandable, unlike the 'sucks' argument. As I said, I'm not an apologist, I just believe in giving players/coaches/etc... an honest appraisal.

Fair call on me--and here's my summation:

On his career, in spite of the hopes of many, Drew Bledsoe is a mid-level QB that had a cannon for an arm and knew how to take a sack.

In recent years, Bledsoe has sucked. He has looked tentative and makes really bad decisions. The fumbling too--I didn't realize until researching that he had developed such a bad habit of not protecting the ball better.

So yes--Drew and Maura would be pretty cool for neighbors I think...but as a QB...dude is washed up...

Deus Irae said:
On the Bledsoe pick, the play was not supposed to go to Glen. Bledsoe stepped back, turned and threw to his safety blanket. It was a terrible decision and throw, but it was no worse than Brady's toss. In both cases, quarterbacks who knew better made stupid plays when they should have just thrown the ball away. And, realistically, one could argue that Brady's throw was far stupider since he was throwing against one of the best DB's in the game and had even less likelihood of success. Brady is the best quarterback in the NFL, but that throw was every bit as inexcusable as Bledsoe's was, if not more so.

No. You are ignoring what I described.

Champ Bailey said after that game that, had they played the same coverage they had shown earlier in the game, Brady's fade pattern would have been a sure touchdown. Based on the coverage look the defense showed, it was a good pass.

What happened was that an excellent defense snookered Brady, lured him into the throw, and then changed the coverage assignments after it was too late.

Give some credit to the defense. This is exactly the same thing that Pats defenders have done to Peyton Manning in the past, with Harrison and Law showing one look to lure him into the throw and then trading assignments to make the pick. It's easy to say a throw was bad in hindsight. But, you have to judge whether the throw was ill-advised based on the coverage at the time the QB releases the ball. If he gets snookered, he gets snookered. Doesn't mean it was a bad decision. Based on what Brady saw when he threw the ball, Bailey was trying to cover a receiver crossing towards the inside and another defender was getting "picked" off his path to the outside receiver. As the ball was in the air, Bailey handed his guy off to the inside defender and broke towards the sideline fade pattern. This was an intentional trap, planned by Bailey and the safety after getting burned by Brady on the same route earlier in the game.

That is a VERY different situation than the Bledsoe throw. There was no "snookering" on that play. There were no last second handoffs in coverage assignments. The defense was quite visible at the moment Bledsoe threw the ball. He simply locked on his target and threw the ball way too late.

Last edited:
Drew has the arm and charisma of a star QB. He doesn't have the mind, or really the work ethic.

The Oakland idea is a good one. Al Davis had good success with a big-armed ex-Pat QB a few decades ago, so it would be natural for him to try it again. And Drew obviously has the physical toughness to endure a pounding.

MoLewisrocks said:
Glenn was Drew's intended target. TO was BP's intended target and the play that was called in. That Drew never even looked for him was insubordination in the eyes of his HC. I think that is what triggered the half time benching. Not just the mistakes and miscues, the improvising that amounted to insubordination.

I agree with that. Same reason Belichick couldn't stand Drew, or the former Browns' QB Kozar, for that matter.

When you tell somebody to do something and they just refuse to, it makes for a bad employer-employee arrangement.

Drew rides a Harley without a helmet, which I find to be a good analogy for the way he plays football. He wants to be his own man and play by his own rules. That works when you are riding a hog, with the wind in your hair, but it ain't so great when you need to stage a comeback against a good NFL defense, and your coach is barking orders.

Drew has always questioned authority, and that has been exactly his problem, IMO.

You can't just expect to do things your way when you are on a team. Drew has always had a prima-donna attitude, and I think that it is just plain immaturity and the inability to submit his ego. He is not the leader of a rock band, he is an employee for a franchise worth a billion dollars. A billion dollars. The buck has to stop somewhere, and Drew has made a career out of passing the buck when it comes to his job responsibilities.

hwc said:
No. You are ignoring what I described.

Champ Bailey said after that game that, had they played the same coverage they had shown earlier in the game, Brady's fade pattern would have been a sure touchdown. Based on the coverage look the defense showed, it was a good pass.

What happened was that an excellent defense snookered Brady, lured him into the throw, and then changed the coverage assignments after it was too late.

Give some credit to the defense. This is exactly the same thing that Pats defenders have done to Peyton Manning in the past, with Harrison and Law showing one look to lure him into the throw and then trading assignments to make the pick. It's easy to say a throw was bad in hindsight. But, you have to judge whether the throw was ill-advised based on the coverage at the time the QB releases the ball. If he gets snookered, he gets snookered. Doesn't mean it was a bad decision. Based on what Brady saw when he threw the ball, Bailey was trying to cover a receiver crossing towards the inside and another defender was getting "picked" off his path to the outside receiver. As the ball was in the air, Bailey handed his guy off to the inside defender and broke towards the sideline fade pattern. This was an intentional trap, planned by Bailey and the safety after getting burned by Brady on the same route earlier in the game.

That is a VERY different situation than the Bledsoe throw. There was no "snookering" on that play. There were no last second handoffs in coverage assignments. The defense was quite visible at the moment Bledsoe threw the ball. He simply locked on his target and threw the ball way too late.

I'm not ignoring anything. Brady screwed up that play, plain and simple. He failed a read. It happens to every quarterback. I could have pointed to the Miami game where Brady tossed that ridiculous lob to the defenders as an alternate example. There was no "snookering" on that play.

I will always have a place in my heart for Bledsoe.

He isn't Tom Brady.

He is a gunslinger. Always has been, always will be.

If that is what you like in a qb... he is your man.

He takes alot of gambles with his approach.

He is slow, he never was that fast.

He is a tough son of a b i t c h though... and if you think otherwise, you're just not very bright.

He is what he is.

A gunslinger...

I think Drew will wind up extending his career as a veteran backupand pseudo coach (for all his limits on mobility he does have a great understanding of X's and O's)

Who knows - perhaps there's a team out there that might have a need for a veteran QB to back up a young, promising 2nd string QB with little real game experience.

Stranger things have happened.

I think Drew is done because he has said in the past that he has no interest in being a back-up. If I were him I would sit back, help Romo out where I can, collect my check, ignore TO, then retire at the end of the year with my head held high. Parcells is a lame jerk - he never should have benched Bledsoe int he middle of the game and humiliated him that way. If he lost confidence in him then either start Romo, or wait until the next game. When I saw the surgically altered owner lurking on the sidelines in the middle of the game, I knew that couldn't be good for Bledsoe. It was as if he and Parcells had some sort of stupid signal set up. I like Bledsoe but his galss ceiling skills have diminished and he should call it a day.

Drew is not done .... there will be 1 great comeback with 1 more team after he takes care of a minor problem that causes major disasterous results.

F.B.N. said:
Drew is not done .... there will be 1 great comeback with 1 more team after he takes care of a minor problem that causes major disasterous results.

Yes. The Oakland Raiders. His last stop.

PatsDeb said:
I think Drew is done because he has said in the past that he has no interest in being a back-up. If I were him I would sit back, help Romo out where I can, collect my check, ignore TO, then retire at the end of the year with my head held high. Parcells is a lame jerk - he never should have benched Bledsoe int he middle of the game and humiliated him that way. If he lost confidence in him then either start Romo, or wait until the next game. When I saw the surgically altered owner lurking on the sidelines in the middle of the game, I knew that couldn't be good for Bledsoe. It was as if he and Parcells had some sort of stupid signal set up. I like Bledsoe but his galss ceiling skills have diminished and he should call it a day.

This typo is so fitting :D

Re: Drew is done?

dee dee dee dum diddly dee

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/vault

As Bledsoe's career devolved from "No. 1 Pick & Franchise Player" (1993) to "Hall of Famer In-Training" (1994) to "Pro Bowler Who Can't Quite Make The Leap" (1995-98) to "Above-Average QB And Borderline Disappointment" (1999-2001), New England fans never really devolved with him. We were living in denial, grasping onto positives, ignoring negatives, making up excuses. His offensive line stinks. His offensive coordinator is an idiot. If Curtis Martin was still there, his life would be a lot easier. He misses Ben Coates. If Terry Glenn wasn't such a screw-up, Drew would be lighting it up.
It was always something. As the losses mounted, we took solace in Bledsoe's career numbers, noting he was probably headed to the Hall of Fame. Nearly 30,000 yards passing, more than 2,500 completions, nearly 175 touchdowns ... and he wasn't even 30 years old. It didn't matter that his numbers compared favorably to Jim Everett at the same stage of their careers. Or that franchise QBs usually peak around their fifth or sixth season.

Re: Drew is done?

Deus Irae said:
Brilliant, quoting a comedian who's losing a picks matchup with his wife. What's next, a "Gandhi rates the best meats" post?

oh for goodness sakes...it is both humorous and topical...

with the exception of the win/loss records, you have failed to provide a shred of evidence that would counter my arguments of Bledsoe's overall mediocrity and fading star...

53 fumbles since he left NE??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey