PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Drew done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drew's problem again like it was here has always been , how do I look on the sideline, when can i go home to my 4 kids in Montana, Im a star in this leauge, why should I work on my game. Then some one comes in and takes his so call "job" .. He never did the little things to make himself or his team better... Which, is why he is done as a QB in the nfl.

I don't know if Drew is done or not, but I do know that when he was here I always felt like he would blow it during clutch time-fumble the ball or try to force the ball to a favorite receiver and throw an interception.

It's the opposite of how I feel when Brady is in a similar situation. Brady is more like Kenny Stabler was with the old Oakland Raiders; you always knew that they would come back in the fourth quarter to beat you if given the chance.

Drew just doesn't seem to have that.

Although his O-Line did little to protect him on the 1st 2 sacks, replay showed that a slight shuffle step to the left (Brady style) would have saved 1 sack. The last sack was pure Drew, holding onto the ball WAY too long. And Red zone INT was like his infamous last start with the Pats against the Jets. Driving for a TD, Drew mysteriously throws the ball between 3 Jets LBs for the game killing INT, just before his injury series.

Drew wasn't set up to fail. And so what if they pulled him. He's an EMPLOYEE, they wanted to try something different. BFD. Get over it. HE makes 5M+ per year probably and sulks if he gets pulled? Maybe he needed to get his head together so they gave him a time out. What is he, king Drew? King intereception maybe.

The new guy throws ints, well that's going to happen. But new guys don't get experience without....getting experience.

Anyway, he's just not that good. He does some things well but some things terribly, that's why he gets sacked, throws ints, etc. That's just the way it is with him. Why he would want to stick around year after year is a mystery. Just retire already.

Oswlek said:
I can still remember how excited I was when Bledsoe was in his first few years. My buddy and I would talk all the time about how all he needed to do was correct a few young mistakes and he was a sure HOFer (I was too green at the time to know what those mistakes where, but it was still clear that they existed). I still believe that had Drew worked on his footwork, pocket pressence, willingness to check down to someone not named Ben Coates, and willingness to take what the D was giving he would be a shoo-in and would possibly still be NE's QB.

However, he either never wanted it or he just wasn't good enough to get it, because he is the same player that he was then, just with declining natural ability.

And I wish for once that people would stop the "he just needs a good OL, WR, TE and running game" talk. What QB wouldn't be all that good in those circumstances? The guy is who he is. Nothing more, and steadily becoming less.

I think you're right up to a point. I believe Drew is somewhat unique in that he needs an EXTRAORDINARY offensive line to succeed, not just a good one. If he had a line that could buy him not only the three seconds required but EXTRA time, he could launch a lights-out vertical passing attack with that cannon arm of his and receivers like Glenn and T.O. True, most any QB could succeed with an extraordinary line, but Bledsoe has the arm to do spectacular things under the right circumstances. He'd be a good fit in Oakland with the Al Davis downfield philosophy if the Raiders beefed up their O-line.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Drew in Miami? I think you just gave me wood.

:p

That would be the anti-Belichick trifecta. :rofl:

Three gunslingers who can't read defenses and don't think it matters.

Then to finish it off they could bring in the all time gunslinger mid-way through the 2007 season when GB finally says no mas.

I like Drew, he's a good guy but, apparently, dumb as a post. Have some pride and get out of the game now because it's passed him by. Belichick knew it when he grabbed for Brady and hung on right through to the SB. Drew, offended at the apparent disregard for his "talent", moved on to Buffalo and though his head was above water for a while he started to sink again. He wasn't the "answer" there either. Then Parcells in a baffling move took in Drew again. Belichick must have been scratching his head on that one. Drew's problems are still the same as they always have been...poor decision making under pressure, holding on to the ball too long, not securing the ball and/or throwing it away when necessary. Any good defense can rip the guy apart. Drew is a statue back there that needs time and a great offensive line to give him a year and a day. That doesn't exist now with defenses being so much faster and more complicated then they were years ago. It's time for Drew to hang it up and stop pouting on sidelines. He has an arm but not the intangibles that make a *great* QB.:(

I'll never forget what Drew did for this franchise in the early day of his carrer. Maybe some of you could think back to those times prior to hime coming aboard and remember that theose were the darkest days as Patriots fans. so, he will always have a soft place in my heart.

Having said that, Drew just didn't have the "it" that Tom has.

His OL in Dallas is awful when facing a good defense. Tony Romo is certainly nothe answer for the Cowboys. I hope that Drew does retire after this year. He said that he has no interest in being a backup. I hope that he comes back to Foxboro and the Patriots retire his #11.

The Cowboys,Tuna, Jones, and TO deserve each other and can rot in hell as far as I'm concerned.

PATSNUTme said:
I'll never forget what Drew did for this franchise in the early day of his carrer. Maybe some of you could think back to those times prior to hime coming aboard and remember that theose were the darkest days as Patriots fans. so, he will always have a soft place in my head.

There.
I fixed your typo for you.

PatsWickedPissah said:
There.
I fixed your typo for you.

But, you didn't specify which one.:rocker:

The thing that gets me the most about all this is that everyone seems to forget all of the great things Drew has done over the years. Anyone remember the broken-finger games in 98'? how about the 20+ point comeback against the giants in 96'? Or his record breaking performance against the Vikings, or all the good things he did in the 96' SB before someone stapled max lane's shoes to the field. How many QBs out there do you think could have taken the team we had in 99' to an 8-8 record? Not many. Drew was and still is a great QB, and as with any QB you have to look at the team and coaches around him. Buffalo: poor coaching, under achieving talent and horrible game planning and execution. Dallas: Idiot head coach,untalented offensive line and backs, average to below average to egotistical moron receivers, still developing TEs and a total jackass for an owner. You think Brady or Manning could have done better? Maybe, but not by much. I don't think Drew is the best, but I do think he has been the whipping boy for alot of poor situations and he doesn't deserve it. And I along with a lot of others I'm sure, still really appreciate what he did for my team and this region. Cut the kid a break, and start putting the blame where it really belongs.

MoLewisrocks said:
Drew was done the day Mo flattented him. He's really not much of an option or upgrade over Culpepper or Harrington et al. He was better once upon a time (as was Culpepper) but that ship has sailed. He still has his occasional moments, even had stretches in Buffalo before Mularkey had to start beating him over the head with a stopwatch, which is why he was still starting anywhere, but those have become fewer and farther between. He has no upside anymore. He has said he will not be a backup or mentor either, though I can't imagine wanting him as a mentor...Tom wasn't easily swayed. On that last drive in XXXVI Charlie told him lets go score but be careful with the ball. Drew chimed in with just go sling it.

It will be interesting to see what transpires over the next few weeks. Romo is as mistake prone as the guy he's replacing for being mistake prone. But given his circumstances that is to be expected. Maybe with some time and experience he can be taught to make better decisions. What really seemed to fry the Tuna was when Drew improvised that goaline INT. He said the play was designed to go to the opposite side of the field to TO. So it was the double whammy bad throw and bad decision. They were about to get back in the game with a TD to tie or a FG to get within 4 and instead on the ensuing drive NY scored a TD. The classic killer 14 point swing.

It was really theatre of the absurd with Romo throwing that INT on his first play from scrimmage to open the second half. But then he did some good things, as Tuna mentioned, and the team seemed to be trying to rally behind him. Drew has simply sucked the life out of them, as he does over time. He looked positively crushed and ten years younger on the sidelines for most of the second half. Even I felt bad for him. But then after the third Romo INT got taken to the house I saw that defiant jaw tighten. Much like when BB named his starter for XXXVI. If this week and the remainder of this season doesn't drive Tuna into permanent retirement, nothing will.

Then of course there is the whole TO factor to be considered. Is it better to have him glaring at Drew or a rookie? He was on his bestest team player behavior in his post game PC - he'll just play hard (and slip and drop critical short throws) for whomever the coaches decide to play at QB.

And last but not least is the smarmy owner always lurking on the sidelines who wants to keep his fans happy. He had to be talked into Drew just like Tuna had to be talked into TO. I never believed reuniting Drew with the guy who drafted him was a good idea. Tuna seemed to think a mature Drew could somehow be rewired, although that was likely hope born of desperation with Romo and Henson as his Jerry Jones hand picked alternative options. Tuna advised Sean Payton to sign Drew Brees. I wonder if he even attempted to convince Jerry to. They haven't had a viable QB in Dallas since Aikman retired. And at the end of the day if you don't have one nothing else you have really matters. Imagine what Dallas could do in the overhyped NFCE if they had Brees to counter the puker in Philly, the big name bust in NY and the ancient JAG in DC.

EDIT to add it was probably poignant for some to see Drew score on the bootleg of all things. Only he didn't. Coughlin should have challenged it if he hadn't already wasted his first challenge trying to salvage another Eli debaucle. Some said it would be a waste of a challenge leaving Dallas on the goal line with 3 shots at the end zone. But as he later proved the goal line is not a given with Drew behind center. In fact he is more likely to hook up on a 50 yard bomb than not make that mindnumbing mistake in the red zone. The shorter the field and the more significant the points the more exposed Drew becomes as a horrendous game manager.

You've got me wondering why Tuna took the Dallas job to begin with. He's been all but emasculated by Jerry Jones and just isn't the same guy. But beyond that was his belief that Drew could take the Cowboys to the promised land -- a coaching mistake of monumental proportions. The sentimental side of me wanted to see that duo succeed, but when Drew tossed that interception for a TD that killed them against Seattle last year, you knew nothing was going to change with the guy. Tuna is now just a shadow of his former self. It's sort of sad to see him and Drew fade away at the same time.

Last edited:
ChockBlkr said:
The thing that gets me the most about all this is that everyone seems to forget all of the great things Drew has done over the years. .

I'm glad someone said this. The day the Tuna drafted Bledsoe was about the first ray of light for the Patriots in about five years and for a handful of years he really seemed to carry the Patriots. To my mind, that was the beginnings of the rebuilding of the organisation that has resulted in the Club being where it is today.

Of course he was only one small part of all that, but at the time of that draft it seemed like redemption had arrived. I'll always be grateful for what he did in NE and I find it tough to think ill of him now and sad that so many do.

I love Drew Bledsoe. Just because Tom Brady came along doesn't make me look back at the Drew days with anything but fond memories.

That said, I thought Drew lucked into the starting job in Dallas. He was no longer a starter at that point but Parcells was comfortable with him and you're better off with a guy you know than a guy you don't when neither is a viable option to begin with.

Unless Parcells told Drew that the job was his and that he needn't fear being replaced then he did nothing wrong. Something tells me that Parcells never guaranteed him the job. Drew, by continuing to hang onto the ball way too long, has lost the job.

At this point the Cowboys cannot win the superbowl with Drew. It's time to see if they can with the other guy.

It seems to me that Bledsoe never improved after his second or third year. He still can't read defenses, he still pats the ball too much, he still makes awful decisions. He got the Patriots to a Super Bowl vs GB and put up some big numbers with Tuna. I still can't believe people debated the Bledsoe vs. Brady debate now that we have 20/20 hindsight.

Damn. This thread is hot.
I just wanted to state for those that think that Drew needs a healthy OL to be affective that Drew is the reason that his O lineman get injured. You try holding these mammaths pack for the amount of time that Drew requires to pat the ball.
That's why I say that Drew beats on his own O line.

ChockBlkr said:
Dallas: Idiot head coach,untalented offensive line and backs, average to below average to egotistical moron receivers, still developing TEs and a total jackass for an owner. You think Brady or Manning could have done better? Maybe, but not by much.

The coach is not an idiot, the guys catching the ball are as talented as any in the league, his TE is an elite pass catcher, and he has solid backs. The line has struggled at times.

Tom Brady and Manning and many other QBs take that team to the playoffs last year and would do so again this year. The reason they didn't go last year was not just the kicker. Drew's dumb decision making lost them just as many games as the kicker. Probably more.

Drew is not a good NFL starting QB anymore. He hasn't been for a years.

I'm surprised that he lasted in the NFL as long as he did. I just remember it was always 3 and out with him in there, especially in 2000. In the years earlier, he could move it pretty well between the 20's, but I think that was mostly the luxury of having Coates.

I'll never knock his toughness, but I remember often being po'd at the sight of him walking off the feild with his helmet up over his forehead after another 3 and out or another feild goal. I was glad to see him go. But he was a tough MFer, I'll give him that.

dhamz said:
The coach is not an idiot, the guys catching the ball are as talented as any in the league, his TE is an elite pass catcher, and he has solid backs. The line has struggled at times.

Tom Brady and Manning and many other QBs take that team to the playoffs last year and would do so again this year. The reason they didn't go last year was not just the kicker. Drew's dumb decision making lost them just as many games as the kicker. Probably more.

Drew is not a good NFL starting QB anymore. He hasn't been for a years.

McNabb's been the league's best quarterback so far this season. But, just this past week, he threw two outs that were jumped by Ronde Barber for touchdowns. I guess he's done too. Then there's Tom Brady, who threw a 100+ yard touchdown pass to Champ Bailey in last season's playoffs. He must be done. We really need to start sticking forks in all these shot quarterbacks.

Come on, people, be realistic.

Michael Strahan noted that he was surprised that Dallas didn't have more protection set up in the first half so, unless he was lying his ass off for no particular reason, it's pretty clear that the problem was coaching. Bledsoe was hurried or hit on almost every one of his pass attempts, and 3 of the 4 sacks involved Giants players coming through untouched. Bledsoe isn't the problem, as the almighty Romo quickly showed while scrambling for his life on several occasions and still getting sacked twice in the second half, as well as throwing 3 picks. The problem is an offensive line that didn't get the needed upgrade, and a coaching staff that doesn't adapt to that problem against teams with a good pass rush.

Edited for typos

Last edited:
Tunescribe said:
I think you're right up to a point. I believe Drew is somewhat unique in that he needs an EXTRAORDINARY offensive line to succeed, not just a good one. If he had a line that could buy him not only the three seconds required but EXTRA time, he could launch a lights-out vertical passing attack with that cannon arm of his and receivers like Glenn and T.O. True, most any QB could succeed with an extraordinary line, but Bledsoe has the arm to do spectacular things under the right circumstances. He'd be a good fit in Oakland with the Al Davis downfield philosophy if the Raiders beefed up their O-line.

Given the going rate for all pro linemen, Randy's remaining double digit paychecks, the need for a #2WR because Porter can't get along with Al's excuse for a HC and staff, a pro bowl TE, and a 1000 yard RB to front his arm, you wouldn't have much space left under the cap (or in cash) to field a defense or special teams or any kind of viable roster depth. And for what? He still would make those same horrendous decisions particularly in the red zone. Against a top flight D who played the bend but don't break card Drew would still be a liability. A 4000+ yard one, but a liability none the less. Might make the playoffs but he'll never get you to the promised land. And that team has more problems than QB to turn around before they sniff the post season again. And at his age (35+ in 2007) the arm could fade sooner rather than later. So it's not like he's a guy you could build these weapons of offensive destruction around over 2-3 years. He pretty much wears out his welcome in a season now.

That trend started here with BB. He and Charlie knew after the 2000 season that they were cooked at QB. You can't coach Drew up, he won't stand for it. He is what he is. And that includes a closet bad apple in the locker room when things don't go his way, and an annonymous backstabber in the media whenever he feels threatened. Just ask Pete, one of the better offensive minds and developers of NFL ready pro style QB's in the game. Fans here prefer to lambaste him for being too nice. Kraft has recently stated he would like a do over with Pete if the opportunity ever arose because he now realizes in hindsight his golden boy QB undermined Pete at every turn and he was not savvy enough nor did he have the cache to pull off an end to entitlement culture change like the one BB had to undertake BECAUSE of Drew's mere continued existence in Foxboro.

I hope for once he has the sense to walk away. He's been on an ill advised ego driven mission to disprove his critics for 5 years now. It's been painful to watch, even for those of us who don't share that wellspring of affection for a guy who never really tried to learn to do the important little things that might have salvaged his career. Whose charm and demeanor in public belie a deep seeded but thinly veiled arrogance that was at the heart of his trouble with Belichick and all his coaches for that matter. He's un-coachable. He has never, ever taken responsibility for his career progression. It's always been his last employers fault for not surrounding him with enough talent or not supporting him through one series of mindnumbing season ending miscues after another. Fine, whatever, we'll take your word for it Drew. If you just make it stop here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes