PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The OG Conundrum

Water Boy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I'm curious to see how things play out at the guard position.

• We have three viable starters in Onwenu, Strange and Sow.

• If we go to more of a stretch run offense, I assume that's more favorable for Strange and less so for Onwenu.

• Not sure what Sow's versatility is like, but he comported himself quite well as a rookie and I assume he has a great chance to be our starter.

• If we run a primarily zone gap, Sow at LG and Onwenu at RG would be a pretty nifty combination.

• I like the idea of franchising Onwenu for his G/T versatility and to have a dependable able body next year, even if he's not the long term answer. He may very well be our best option at RT for 2024, especially if we draft and plan to start a rookie QB. To me it would be foolish to start a rookie QB behind a O-line with **** OTs.

Thoughts?

1) Onwenu is a free agent.

2) Strange is injured and is likely to be on his last year. Maybe Mafi is a starter, or not.

3) I would like to see us sign Onwenu long-term, to play RT this year and then move back to RG.

So franchising Onwenu is something I was pushing for as well. If he’s signed, it’s posisble you have four starters in Strange, Andrews, Sow, and Onwenu at RT.

But do we trust the duo of Strange/Sow enough yet to be formidable? Strange has an injury history and it’s still hard to say how good Sow will be.

Because the FA market at interior OL is pretty strong, I’d like to see us go out and try and get a mauler on the inside and let Sow and Strange battle out for one spot. The backup will make a great depth piece.

that leads to 4/5 spots being pretty solid. Just have to figure out LT somehow. Draft pick definitely should be spent on day two at the position.

So franchising Onwenu is something I was pushing for as well. If he’s signed, it’s posisble you have four starters in Strange, Andrews, Sow, and Onwenu at RT.

But do we trust the duo of Strange/Sow enough yet to be formidable? Strange has an injury history and it’s still hard to say how good Sow will be.

Because the FA market at interior OL is pretty strong, I’d like to see us go out and try and get a mauler on the inside and let Sow and Strange battle out for one spot. The backup will make a great depth piece.

that leads to 4/5 spots being pretty solid. Just have to figure out LT somehow. Draft pick definitely should be spent on day two at the position.
I'm fine with signing an OG in free agency, but we do need to sign a LT. Drafting a QB at 3 without a solid LT is just asking for failure.

1) Onwenu is a free agent.

2) Strange is injured and is likely to be on his last year. Maybe Mafi is a starter, or not.

3) I would like to see us sign Onwenu long-term, to play RT this year and then move back to RG.
Why is Strange likely on his last year?

Drafted in 22, has 2 more on his rookie deal, with a 5th year option if he blossoms.

Of are you thinking about his injury?

Why is Strange likely on his last year?

Drafted in 22, has 2 more on his rookie deal, with a 5th year option if he blossoms.

Of are you thinking about his injury?
I am thinking of the injury.

For me, as with Anderson, his being a contributor would be a welcome bonus.

I am thinking of the injury.

For me, as with Anderson, his being a contributor would be a welcome bonus.
Have there been any updates on that injury? I keep looking and seeing nothing.

when we drafted Strange, i remember people thinking he could be great as a Center. With Andrews age, i am sure this is something being considered by team

Reactions: Ian
Have there been any updates on that injury? I keep looking and seeing nothing.
From what little I have been able to find, Strange probably had a left knee patellar tendon rupture. Typical recovery time is six months, which would mean that he would not participate in OTAs, but would be ready to go for the start of training camp.

when we drafted Strange, i remember people thinking he could be great as a Center. With Andrews age, i am sure this is something being considered by team
I remember murmurs of him potentially being a LT or C, but it was hard to listen over all the screams at passing on McDuffie.

Getting the most out of Strange, Sow & Mafi should be a focus. They all have showed good promise.
Clearly we need another - either draft pick, or FA to solidify. (Assuming we sign Onwenu, he's a big part of the plan, either RG or RT)

Strange - Free Agent - Andrews - Sow - Draft Pick. Bam!

I fear the Strange injury.

I'm fine with signing an OG in free agency, but we do need to sign a LT. Drafting a QB at 3 without a solid LT is just asking for failure.
Given the stratospheric salaries LTs command,, and the quality of what's out there in FA, I doubt anyone we could sign would be worth the money.

Strange, Andrews, and Sow!

Next question.

They drafted Jake Andrews to be a future center. He looked really good in his only game this year at LG. Certainly better than Mafi.

Could also argue drafting an LT at 3 without a solid QB is asking for even moreso of a failure. Would rather have a franchise QB without a LT than a franchise LT without a QB.

Could also argue drafting an LT at 3 without a solid QB is asking for even moreso of a failure. Would rather have a franchise QB without a LT than a franchise LT without a QB.
The theory is that a bad LT can ruin a young QB (permanently), whereas a bad QB won't have any effect whatsoever on a LT.

The theory is that a bad LT can ruin a young QB (permanently), whereas a bad QB won't have any effect whatsoever on a LT.

If we plan on drafting Penix, Jr....who is a lefty...wouldn't it make sense to spend money on Onwenu at RT to protect Penix's blind side?

• Interesting
Reactions: Ian

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes