PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The OG Conundrum

The theory is that a bad LT can ruin a young QB (permanently), whereas a bad QB won't have any effect whatsoever on a LT.
I think it's typically more true of having a bad line altogether. LT is the most important position on the line, but a QB isn't doomed to fail with one weak link on the line, unless you're Mac Jones and have no mobility or sense of pressure. I think that's why having a bad option at LT had even deeper consequences last season.

One aspect is making sure you can at least find someone at that spot that isn't terrible, if you can't find a cornerstone LT later on in the draft or in FA.

If we plan on drafting Penix, Jr....who is a lefty...wouldn't it make sense to spend money on Onwenu at RT to protect Penix's blind side?
well, that would assume you're dead set on Penix.

Out of the 9-10 viable draft/FA/trade options, he's the only lefty. So if you don't draft him, or somehow trade for Tua, there's no one else that's an option for that scenario.

Could also argue drafting an LT at 3 without a solid QB is asking for even moreso of a failure. Would rather have a franchise QB without a LT than a franchise LT without a QB.
Even if that franchise QB is ruined and begins to see ghosts from constantly having no time in the pocket?

Even if that franchise QB is ruined from seeing ghosts?
If we plan on drafting Penix, Jr....who is a lefty...wouldn't it make sense to spend money on Onwenu at RT to protect Penix's blind side?

I don't think Onwenu is the long term answer if he's asked to be the equivalent of a LT.

I think it's typically more true of having a bad line altogether. LT is the most important position on the line, but a QB isn't doomed to fail with one weak link on the line, unless you're Mac Jones and have no mobility or sense of pressure. I think that's why having a bad option at LT had even deeper consequences last season.

One aspect is making sure you can at least find someone at that spot that isn't terrible, if you can't find a cornerstone LT later on in the draft or in FA.
The plus side is that they'll likely draft either Drake Maye or Jayden Daniels who both have plus mobility. Even if they elect to wait, the next "tier" of guys in Bo Nix and JJ McCarthy also have good mobility. None of these guys are statues back there. An average level OL is probably OK and won't hinder their development.

The plus side is that they'll likely draft either Drake Maye or Jayden Daniels who both have plus mobility. Even if they elect to wait, the next "tier" of guys in Bo Nix and JJ McCarthy also have good mobility. None of these guys are statues back there. An average level OL is probably OK and won't hinder their development.
It will take serious work to get to the level of having "an average OL".

Even if that franchise QB is ruined and begins to see ghosts from constantly having no time in the pocket?
Is this QB going to be a statue in the pocket? And are we about to start the worst tackle of all time?

It will take serious work to get to the level of having "an average OL".
Depends what happens. If they trade down and pick up a top LT, bring back Onwenu at RT, and sign a veteran guard for if/when Strange suffers an injury, the group may reach average.

Depends what happens. If they trade down and pick up a top LT, bring back Onwenu at RT, and sign a veteran guard for if/when Strange suffers an injury, the group may reach average.
yes we do as you say, but then we won't have one of the top QB's

They drafted Jake Andrews to be a future center. He looked really good in his only game this year at LG. Certainly better than Mafi.
I have no idea why this Board always overlooks J Andrews. I remember coaches speaking well of him and he started the final game probably in recognition of his effort all year (Mafi is pretty good too). He will replace D Andrews this year if David is injured, and then start for 2025.

I think Sow, Mafi, and Strange (plus J Andrews) are all we need at IOL. We can spend our FA dollars better than on Onwenu. Need two tackles in the draft.

Last edited:
we need to sign Jonas Jackson to play left guard.
J Andrew’s needs to take over for fully cooked d Andrew’s at center.
Sow is serviceable at right guard.
Mafi is a back up guard at best
Strange, if he recovers from his injury and it is not chronic, needs to be the back up center.

we need to sign Jonas Jackson to play left guard.
J Andrew’s needs to take over for fully cooked d Andrew’s at center.
Sow is serviceable at right guard.
Mafi is a back up guard at best
Strange, if he recovers from his injury and it is not chronic, needs to be the back up center.
all good, especially the signing of Jackson, who likely won't be that expensive.

I understand that many don't feel Onwenu is "worth it" at RT and is only worth a top contract to play RG. In a vacuum, I agree. But look at what this team needs...

1) QB
2) Starting outside WR
3) Second starting outside WR
4) LT
5) RT
6) Starting outside CB opposite Gonzalez

All of those positions, IMO, are needs heading into this offseason and those spots along with edge rusher are probably all the most important/expensive/premium positions in the game.

It's really just an awful position to be in with so many holes at so many important spots. And even if you draft someone highlight or pay a huge price for a guy, there's always the risk it doesn't work out. IMO, even if he's not an all pro at RT, re-signing Onwenu to play that spot is just the safest and simplest way to fill one of those massive roster holes.

We have tons of cap space and it isn't a great FA class anyway. I would just bite the bullet and pay him to play RT. Keep Sow at RG where he looked ok, keep Strange at LG for now, Andrews returns at C. Longer term, I'd eventually want to transition Strange to C to replace Andrews, Sow back to his college LG spot, Onwenu to RG where he can be an all pro, and a good young RT to really lock that spot down. But Rome wasn't built in a day and having a decent OL is crucial part of developing other offensive talent on the roster so just take the steps to do what you can in the short term.

I understand that many don't feel Onwenu is "worth it" at RT and is only worth a top contract to play RG. In a vacuum, I agree. But look at what this team needs...

1) QB
2) Starting outside WR
3) Second starting outside WR
4) LT
5) RT
6) Starting outside CB opposite Gonzalez

All of those positions, IMO, are needs heading into this offseason and those spots along with edge rusher are probably all the most important/expensive/premium positions in the game.

It's really just an awful position to be in with so many holes at so many important spots. And even if you draft someone highlight or pay a huge price for a guy, there's always the risk it doesn't work out. IMO, even if he's not an all pro at RT, re-signing Onwenu to play that spot is just the safest and simplest way to fill one of those massive roster holes.

We have tons of cap space and it isn't a great FA class anyway. I would just bite the bullet and pay him to play RT. Keep Sow at RG where he looked ok, keep Strange at LG for now, Andrews returns at C. Longer term, I'd eventually want to transition Strange to C to replace Andrews, Sow back to his college LG spot, Onwenu to RG where he can be an all pro, and a good young RT to really lock that spot down. But Rome wasn't built in a day and having a decent OL is crucial part of developing other offensive talent on the roster so just take the steps to do what you can in the short term.
MY list is much different than yours. Critically, you have left out a starting free safety. Both Dugger and Mills are free agents. Phillips hasn't been playing much and has little left in the tank. Peppers and Bledsoe (who has played almost not at all) is nowhere near enough at safety.

Given the stratospheric salaries LTs command,, and the quality of what's out there in FA, I doubt anyone we could sign would be worth the money.
Any LT we sign will likely not be worth the money, nevertheless we need to sign a LT.

Any LT we sign will likely not be worth the money, nevertheless we need to sign a LT.
But an LT acquired thru the draft is exponentially less money. With a decent shot at being better than what's out there on the open market.

But an LT acquired thru the draft is exponentially less money. With a decent shot at being better than what's out there on the open market.
So, you hope to get better than Becton, Williams and Brown at 34? or even in the 20's if we use a 3rd or 4th to move up? I'm not buying. I'd rather have one of the 3 PLUS drafting another OT in the late 1st or early 2nd.

Besides, if we don't sign a free agent OT, then we will need THREE OT's in the draft.

So, you hope to get better than Becton, Williams and Brown at 34? or even in the 20's if we use a 3rd or 4th to move up? I'm not buying. I'd rather have one of the 3 PLUS drafting another OT in the late 1st or early 2nd.

Besides, if we don't sign a free agent OT, then we will need THREE OT's in the draft.

I think we need to draft OT Paul in the second round and fisher in the third round.

They may let Owenu walk and have Sow replace him. Use the money on T's.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back