PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where Does the Roster Stand Now?

Can’t stress enough how much NE would benefit from 2/3 great drafts in 2024-25-26. Infusion of talent, reset the goals, grow and win together.
I would love a repeat of Tampa Bay from right about the time right after their skin flint owner Hugh Culverhouse passed away in 1994. Just reverse the defense for offense.

One year later the Bucs drafted Warren Sapp (who had slipped and fallen into their laps) and Derrick Brooks. Two years earlier they had drafted John Lynch. The next year they hit on three more defensive no-names, plus Mike Alstott. Despite later whiffs, their team (well, at least the defense) was set.

I wouldlove to see the Wolf & co. do something similar on offense this year and next.

The objective for the $100 mill:

1) Resign Patriot free agents
2) Fill out the bottom 54-90 slots for training camp
Was the objective also outlined as Don't get a starting WR1 and Don't get a starting LT?

I was expecting more from 100 million. Maybe some other people have lower expectations. But we still have major holes that haven't been addressed at all with over 55m of those dollars unspent on helping the team improve.

What happened to Mayo's "We're ready to burn some money" to get better? Did Mayo get overruled by someone inside the organization?

Yep, although they were never destined to be a good team, their roster wasn't indicative of a 4-13 team except for the QB position.
They had the most cap dollars on the IR of any team last year, and they had the worst QB play in the league. If they had average health last year and had even Brissett level of performance from their QB they would've won 3 to 5 more games.
I kinda expected a repeat of 8-9 wins like in 22.

With health, we may have repeated that last year.

These rosters moves would absolutely be **** on if Bill were still here. The Pats have spent well over $30M just to bring their roster back to baseline.

Isn't Okurafor a RT not LT? Are you slotting him at LT because there is no one else that is any good? I mean he played the last few years at RT in Pitt if I recall, not LT
The only serviceable LT was Trent Brown.

It stands the relatively the same. Minus BB and Mac Jones as the only departures that effect anything.

In some ways its definitely better. We have Judon, Gonzales and M Jones coming back healthy for the defense. They added an able LB from Cleveland. Mapu should be better if Mayo can figure out what to do with him. Peppers was solid at safety.

Added a better QB although not great, can at least run a offense and not lose your team games all by himself.

They failed miserably at LT in free agency. However, they got a chance to really improve the unit as a whole through the draft. It’s not perfect but if they get really Lucky and somehow draft a LT that sticks then all is fine. Highly unlikely unless its Alt or Fashanu. If not, get that quality RT and a center to groom in rounds 3-6. This puts Onwenu back at his best position at RG. Move Sow to LG which gives the team a solid back up with added depth w/Strange. (Sorry, that’s just how I see him at this point.) that leaves us with 4 of the 5 positions with adequate improvement from last year. A good blocking Te in Hooper. Could even be better with competent playcalling, coaching a Qb that knows how to move in the pocket or scramble.

LT-poop sandwhich

LG athletic Sow, Strange

C Andrews J Andrews possibly Nugent draft

RG Onwenu, Mafi

RT Take your pick in the draft. Its loaded. Christian Jones is my guy.

QB Maye, Daniels Brissett.

WR 2nd pick. Lot of good ones

It’s not as bad as it seems right now. They just really need to take advantage of this draft and June 1st cuts. That would go a long way into getting the team back on track to compete.

Edit forgot to mention Okurafor as an addition at RT.

Going into free agency, we had dumpster fires at qb, wr, LT abs RT.

We have added band aids at qb and rt!

Are we really using the draft to solve the problems at LT and wr????

Going into free agency, we had dumpster fires at qb, wr, LT abs RT.

We have added band aids at qb and rt!

Are we really using the draft to solve the problems at LT and wr????
The draft is loaded at RT and Center. Absolutely use the draft to solidify those two positions, as well as QB and WR. Just choose the right ones.

Not as far a way as some might think. I really thought if they had signed T Smith and Keenan Allen and drafted the above they were really going to turn some heads this season.

This offense is liquid hot melted garbage. It’ll be the same crapfest we watched last season unless they make some moves.

This offense is liquid hot melted garbage. It’ll be the same crapfest we watched last season unless they make some moves.
We should of made more moves but didn’t.

I guarantee it will not be a crapfest regardless if they knock the draft out of the park.

Still got a lot of offseason including June 1st cuts.

I merged your thread into this one simply because the OP had a nice current visual of the depth chart.

My first recommendation is Our Lads. You can also go back and see historical depth charts on their site.

Second would be the World Wide leader in Sports.

The one at CBS Sports still has departed players, though they do have an icon next to those players noting recent transactions.

Unfortunately the team's own website is not up to date.

I went on the link at Ourlads. They have Conor McDermott as our starting LT. That sounds dreadful. I know he played pretty well there last season for a few games, but come on.

I went on the link at Ourlads. They have Conor McDermott as our starting LT. That sounds dreadful. I know he played pretty well there last season for a few games, but come on.
If we go into the season with McDermott as LT #1:
A: Brissett will elect early retirement

2: As a HS coac, Im gonna get a whole hell of a lot more scouting time on Sundays for that upcoming weeks game

and
D: Kraft will be brought up on charges of malpractice. Goodell will do what’s right, I’m sure of it

As of now the starting LT seems like it will be Okorafor, Anderson or Wheatley.

Andrews at center, Sow at RG and Onwenu at RT seem locked in imo. Strange will be the starter at LG unless he lands on IR to start the year in which case Leverett should be the starter there.

This team still needs a starting LT but should be all set with the rest of the o-line positions. I’d like to see them sign one more LT and draft another.

As of now the starting LT seems like it will be Okorafor, Anderson or Wheatley.

Andrews at center, Sow at RG and Onwenu at RT seem locked in imo. Strange will be the starter at LG unless he lands on IR to start the year in which case Leverett should be the starter there.

This team still needs a starting LT but should be all set with the rest of the o-line positions. I’d like to see them sign one more LT and draft another.
I'm thinking we possibly address LT with #34 I'm assuming.. because going in FA and the draft with no natural LT feels like we will identify one in the draft and take him.

I would love a repeat of Tampa Bay from right about the time right after their skin flint owner Hugh Culverhouse passed away in 1994. Just reverse the defense for offense.

One year later the Bucs drafted Warren Sapp (who had slipped and fallen into their laps) and Derrick Brooks. Two years earlier they had drafted John Lynch. The next year they hit on three more defensive no-names, plus Mike Alstott. Despite later whiffs, their team (well, at least the defense) was set.

I wouldlove to see the Wolf & co. do something similar on offense this year and next.
I believe we can all agree we have some high caliber players on defense. Maybe not of the caliber of lynch and sapp.. although Barmore and peppers comparable are dam good. I believe the team is still incomplete until we get the New QB. However I like the KJ Osborne pick up. If I'm assuming.. KB, Osborne, Douglas are the starting WRs next season.

Starting 5
LT: Someone with a pulse
LG: Strange
C: Andrews
RG: Sow
RT: Onwenu

Backups
T: Okorafor and One of mid round draftpick, McDermott, Anderson, Wheatley
G: One of Leverett, Mafi, late draftpick
C: J. Andrews

Right now the Patriots roster is not quite as good as last year but one year older. So I expect slightly less out of the team.

Right now the Patriots roster is not quite as good as last year but one year older. So I expect slightly less out of the team.
You have it backwards, the team is better and much younger than last season. Last season Patriots were top 3 oldest team. They are #9 now, 0.27 years above average, and the draft will push them younger.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back