PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where Does the Roster Stand Now?

Looks amazing similar to last years team …. But I’m extremely positive the final results will spell success !!!
If you mean by success a top 10 draft pick, pre-draft, I agree...

Draft is key

They need to hit a grand slam in the draft. Otherwise, they may be competing for the first pick overall in 2025.
Would suck if the team was that bad again this year. But not the worst thing if you can redshirt the rookie QB a bit this year. (If things are really that bad)

You could take that top pick next year and then trade down for a bounty of picks.

Taylor Kyles sums it up:

View attachment 57054

Obvious holes at QB, LT, WR1 and perhaps TE as well as at deep Safety. The colors make it clear how much the Defense is ahead of the Offense from a talent perspective across the board.

I'm sure some will quibble about the ratings of a few of these players. Isn't Godchaux a Quality Starter? And is Uche really a Backup/Rotational player? Someone just offered him an awful lot of money.
Good stuff, although Jennings is a starter opposite judon. Also he had only 1 DE listed.

If you mean by success a top 10 draft pick, pre-draft, I agree...

Draft is key
Yes this years #3 … probly next year a top 10 pick.. and maybe even the year after a top 10 pick .. hope not

They need to hit a grand slam in the draft. Otherwise, they may be competing for the first pick overall in 2025.
They can hit a grand slam or grand slams in the draft and still be drafting in the top 3 next year. But, if there's something there to be hopeful about, I'm good with that.

Would suck if the team was that bad again this year. But not the worst thing if you can redshirt the rookie QB a bit this year. (If things are really that bad)

You could take that top pick next year and then trade down for a bounty of picks.
I'm good with nailing it at QB, have him sit a year (Maye is more than young enough to do that), and build up and work out the offense this coming season and next off season so that Maye has enough talent around him and a sound offensive philosophy that he can be effective when he starts.

For a roster in March, and with over 50 million in cap and 8 mostly top of the round picks I think it doesn't completely suck. They need 8 to 9 decent players between the draft, FA, and trades. I believe that they'll spend to the cap and even without leveraging significant future cap space they can/will be somewhat competitive this year and perhaps eek into the playoffs. Disclaimer: I took the afternoon off and have been drinking margaritas since noon.

I'm good with nailing it at QB, have him sit a year (Maye is more than young enough to do that), and build up and work out the offense this coming season and next off season so that Maye has enough talent around him and a sound offensive philosophy that he can be effective when he starts.
Exactly. If things are truly that bad, we don’t have to throw the QB out to the wolves.

You’re taking a QB now because this will be far and away your best opportunity to land a QB. This is a strong class.

Whether they are good or not, either Maye or McCarthy will bring hope to this franchise!

For a roster in March, and with over 50 million in cap and 8 mostly top of the round picks I think it doesn't completely suck. They need 8 to 9 decent players between the draft, FA, and trades. I believe that they'll spend to the cap and even without leveraging significant future cap space they can/will be somewhat competitive this year and perhaps eek into the playoffs. Disclaimer: I took the afternoon off and have been drinking margaritas since noon.
I often forget that this was a very good 4-13 team (if that exists)

How many games did we blow that were winnable this year? Team felt like they found a way to lose several winnable games. The Chargers game, Indy game, Giants game. We win all three of those with average QB play.

As Ian has said….it is what it is and the team seems to be happy to tank for 24

I often forget that this was a very good 4-13 team (if that exists)

How many games did we blow that were winnable this year? Team felt like they found a way to lose several winnable games. The Chargers game, Indy game, Giants game. We win all three of those with average QB play.

Yep, although they were never destined to be a good team, their roster wasn't indicative of a 4-13 team except for the QB position.
They had the most cap dollars on the IR of any team last year, and they had the worst QB play in the league. If they had average health last year and had even Brissett level of performance from their QB they would've won 3 to 5 more games.

Not going to parse out the color coded rankings, because its pointless...

This shows exactly what we are, a team with some talent and hardly any depth... That has to be a long term goal of the EW/AS regime (not withstanding the addition of talent at key positions) - get back to being primed on the depth charts... Having quality depth goes a long ways towards sustained success...

The chart does show, as we all know, the three most important positions on offense are deficient... deficient is too kind of a word... those cupboards are more barren than the womb of a 90 year old woman... QB/LT/WR have to be the primary focus/considerations in the draft... I have come to the conclusion that I am all in on BPA in any of thise three positions... QB we want is gone? Go get jimmy g (we should do that right effing now, regardless) and Draft MHJr... If they are taken 1/2, go for Alt/LT... whatever, however they have them ranked... The signing of Jacoby Brissett demonstrably states that the front office does not expect this team to be competitive this coming year... So buckle up for a bumpy road and hope we draft higher than 3 next year so we can get our guy...

As for the moves they did make... most of the new adds are meh depth pieces... but they serve a role, and none have stood out as wtf moves, so its all good (i may not like all the players, but i do understand why they were brought in) ... Add to that, the Pats bringing back our "key" free agents has been woefully underrated... I hear it on the radio - what have they done, they haven't signed anyone... all said with as much negative connotation as the talking bobble heads can muster... Idiots, the lot of em... Yes they did, they signed their own guys - And thats a good thing... The rebuilding process starts at home, here in foxboro... You keep the guys who have talent here. Thats the beginning of the rebuild. If that talent walks away, you are in an even worse position than when you started... Some people just don't get that i guess...

Really good post.

As Ian has said….it is what it is and the team seems to be happy to tank for 24

Excuse me Sam, but I’m the one who created “ it is what it is” It wasn’t Ian, and it wasn’t Belichick. Bill stole that from me, and Ian only used it to curry favor with Bill, when he really should have been trying to curry favor with me.

Excuse me Sam, but I’m the one who created “ it is what it is” It wasn’t Ian, and it wasn’t Belichick. Bill stole that from me, and Ian only used it to curry favor with Bill, when he really should have been trying to curry favor with me.
My most sincere apologies Ivan!
Wrong attribution.
You should trademark for this board

Can’t stress enough how much NE would benefit from 2/3 great drafts in 2024-25-26. Infusion of talent, reset the goals, grow and win together.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back