PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Danny Amendola the next domino to fall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amendola in this years playoffs was far from clutch. Its why he isn't worth the money and why everyone wants his cap hit cut to half or more.
Martin though had the longest reception by a Patriot in this years playoffs which isn't saying much. Anyway the comparison you replied to was about the return game. Amendola does not provide much more in this area that cannot be covered by a considerably cheaper guy.
He had 350% as many catches as Martin.

I like DA, guy has heart, hope they can work out a restructure.

Yea DA is a solid player to have.. no one should have a problem with him being on the roster, the biggest issue is with his current salary that doesn't match his production

It may have been discussed excessively on this board, but it hasn't necessarily been the correct information. If he fails another test, It's a minimum one year or indefinite ban. Not a lifetime one.

Who is this everyone person you're speaking for?.

Read the thread again and list the people saying he needs his contract cut.. not everyone granted, but damn well nearly everyone, but anyway.. you can just think I am in the minority if you wish.

And since we're talking reliable, it was Amendola who made some of the key receptions and runs after the catch that helped win us our 4th SB.

As did Lafell, but this discussion is really about the hear and now and what have you done for me lately. Not 18 months ago. There is zero room for sentiment IMO.

Here's how I see it. The Pats decided to lure Amendola here with a lucrative contract. They then decided to ask him to restructure very soon after he arrived, which he did. Now some of the fans here want him to reduce his salary again so the Pats can pay a new WR more? No wonder top FA's don't want to come here. The contracts they sign here might as well be written on wet toilet paper.

Agree, apart from the bolded, no not a new WR.. Gordon I don't think would cost that much. I would though like to hand Edelman a new 3 year deal though as a reward.

He had 350% as many catches as Martin.

Stop turning this into what Martin did. I brought Martin into it because of the return duties. Stop trying to make an argument that I am not fighting.

I notice though you didn't want to give the full scale of those 350% more catches into yards gained though hey. Did the argument fall down and not look too good in comparison to Martin's less catches to yards in the two playoff games. Answer.. I know it did. ;) But like I said.. I ain't fighting that. I am fighting a return man duties being paid 6m+ as apposed to 1.8m. If you want to argue whether Martin or Amendola is the better player on a down by down basis then I will after next season when there is more to go on. But right now. what I will say is BB seems to like Martin.

Off Snap count vs Denver AFC Championship game
Amendola - 55
Martin - 59

;)

Amendola needs to at least take a big paycut.

Read the thread again and list the people saying he needs his contract cut.. not everyone granted, but damn well nearly everyone, but anyway.. you can just think I am in the minority if you wish.

As did Lafell, but this discussion is really about the hear and now and what have you done for me lately. Not 18 months ago. There is zero room for sentiment IMO.

Agree, apart from the bolded, no not a new WR.. Gordon I don't think would cost that much. I would though like to hand Edelman a new 3 year deal though as a reward.
What you did for me lately was lead the team WRs in receptions while playing half the season on an injured knee.

And one might note that there's a vast gulf between everyone and a majority. A majority probably do want his contract cut. Of course, a majority wanted JE cut multiple times.

There is no way to justify his present salary.
It's simple: restructure or be gone. That's the Patriots way - he knew that when he signed.
Everybody knows that.
Here's one - he saves them $4.1m to cut and there might not be anybody they can get for less than that who makes the team better.

I think it's still more likely than not he'll end up agreeing to some sort of restructure but the constant declarative statements about DA getting cut have got to end. If BB agreed with you all that there is "no way" DA was worth his cap hit, he would have cut him with Lafell and Chandler.

Keep Amendola with restructure. Re-structure Edelmans' contract with extension.

Get rid of at least two of these JAG WRs (in order):

Chris Harper,
Aaron Dobson.
DeAndre Carter,
Keshawn Martin

There is no way to justify his present salary.
It's simple: restructure or be gone. That's the Patriots way - he knew that when he signed.
Everybody knows that.

LOL that's a bad joke. When guys who have done nothing get 7-8 M you know you're talking BS.

It amazes me that so many are more focused on saving money than on fielding the best team possible next season. The Patriots are in good cap shape and don't need to create any right now and if they released Amendola they wouldn't find a better receiver on the market let alone one who is already on the same page as Brady. And it's not like the Patriots are deep at the position and can simply let him go without a replacement, so while they could save 4 million they would simply have to turn around and use most of it to replace him. With the addition of Bennett the Patriots could have the best offense in football and Amendola figures to play a significant role in that offense so getting rid of him just to save money makes no sense. The Patriots don't have many more moves to make to be ready for the season and then they have all season plus to get the deals they need to get done. I agree with everyone who thinks that Amendola needs to redo his deal but I also think they have the time and resources to get a smart deal done with him, and I think Amendola wants to stay and will be reasonable with them. I think they will get it done this summer but if they don't I would rather see them pay him for the season and field the best team possible and then let him go after they win the Super Bowl.

Amendola had a rough first year in 2013, but he was solid in 2014 and had a really good 2015, before his injury.

Personally, I'd like to keep him. Why cut a guy who knows the system and has a good repore with Brady, for another guy like Washington who would have to learn the system from scratch, which we know not all guys can do, and gain Brady's trust?

I think Danny would take less to stay.

If the offensive moves in a direction where Amendola doesn't get as much activity, then his projected pay check ($6.8 million in 2016 and $7.87 million in 2017) is too high. This is quite possible and probable, given the new editions. And they're not done, yet.

I like Amendola for the right price. However with Hogan and Edelman you don't really need him if he wants to be paid more than 2.5M.

IDK what we would do for WR if he goes but with Bennett I worry about it a little less.

"Talk of Amendola being released first started in spring 2014, when the receiver had been outproduced by Julian Edelman as quarterback Tom Brady’s favorite target. Nothing happened that offseason, and Amendola went on to catch just 27 passes for 200 yards and one touchdown that season."

"And as the Patriots’ slot receiver, Amendola could see his production drop back down to 2014 levels as long as everyone stays healthy in front of him. If that’s the case, it’s hard to justify his $6.8 million cap hit."

Read more at: PFT Report Indicates Danny Amendola ‘Could Be’ Cut Or Traded By Patriots

Here's one - he saves them $4.1m to cut and there might not be anybody they can get for less than that who makes the team better.

I think it's still more likely than not he'll end up agreeing to some sort of restructure but the constant declarative statements about DA getting cut have got to end. If BB agreed with you all that there is "no way" DA was worth his cap hit, he would have cut him with Lafell and Chandler.

That, of course, is absolutely wrong. Because BB wishes DA to stay -- but only with a restructured contract -- he has done what he typically does. Brings in someone that could step in DA's shoes (Chris Hogan) to create pressure/ leverage, pushes for another WR to put additional pressure on DA (indirectly), such as Washington, and then sees if he can get DA to redo his deal, while BB retains all the leverage: free agency is passing, most teams are filling their receiver needs now, and so DA is, over time, facing a dwindling and ever-reducing marketplace for his wares. All of which increases the likelihood of him redoing his deal.

In light of Hogan and the WR-kicking-tires that BB is doing, there is virtually zero chance that DA stays at his current deal. He absolutely will be cut if he doesn't restructure -- can't believe anyone studying Belichick's history and comparing it to the present situation would think differently...

Did you look at the time stamp on that tweet?

That, of course, is absolutely wrong. Because BB wishes DA to stay -- but only with a restructured contract -- he has done what he typically does. Brings in someone that could step in DA's shoes (Chris Hogan) to create pressure/ leverage, pushes for another WR to put additional pressure on DA (indirectly), such as Washington, and then sees if he can get DA to redo his deal, while BB retains all the leverage: free agency is passing, most teams are filling their receiver needs now, and so DA is, over time, facing a dwindling and ever-reducing marketplace for his wares. All of which increases the likelihood of him redoing his deal.

In light of Hogan and the WR-kicking-tires that BB is doing, there is virtually zero chance that DA stays at his current deal. He absolutely will be cut if he doesn't restructure -- can't believe anyone studying Belichick's history and comparing it to the present situation would think differently...
Another BB mind reader. The Hogan signing couldn't possibly have anything to do with having to replace LaFell, it's all about DA MONEZ!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST