PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Danny Amendola the next domino to fall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the Amendola to Browns talk...

But can someone clarify how many "strikes" Gordon has before he's out of the league? I don't think anyone has covered this yet, and most of us remain in the dark.

Like 6 TD's in 3 years? When we start ripping our new receivers, I'll know the baseline on what is considered a good season.

And I will say it again, I don't go solely on stats I go by what I see in games and take both big plays and bad big plays into account, e.g... Kevin Faulk, who put up pedestrian numbers but made big play after big play after big play throughout his career, and on the other side Brandon Lloyd, who put up good numbers but made no big plays at all. Amendola's numbers may be average but his contributions are well above average when it comes to Making key plays at key moments. Imo getting rid of him would be a mistake.

But can someone clarify how many "strikes" Gordon has before he's out of the league? I don't think anyone has covered this yet, and most of us remain in the dark.

Is that sarcasm? Serious?

Same thing as what he is going through now.. Messed up again and he gets suspended for a year and has to apply for reinstatement which would likely be denied and then he would have to wait until the next league year.

I want to keep Danny for the right price. I am okay with him at 2.5-3M Anymore and he has to walk which would be unfortunate. He has earned Brady's trust and not many WRs can say that. I do think we keep him and that is it a deal that is fair.

Cannon though has to go. Better off taking shots on new guys than keeping him.

I think Amendola is making more than he is worth and would like to see a new deal but after taking a serious pay cut last year I'm not sure be would do it again. Hopefully they Can find common ground and a fair deal for both sides because I think Amendola is a good player who provides big plays at key moments and fall insurance if Edelman goes down.

We're pretty much in agreement here.

Amendola caught 648 yards and 3 TDs in 14 games. That is with Edelman out late in the season, Gronk missing a game and a half, and Brandon LaFell dropping balls left and right. As much as I love DA he's not worth his $6 million cap hit. Like many others have said here that restructure/pay cut is the way to go. Otherwise I wouldn't mind cutting him since now we have Chris Hogan to pair up with Edelman as WR1 and WR2. WR3 spot could be filled by Martin or Dobson (pray to God he's going to be healthy this year).

IMHO it makes it more difficult for a receiver when he's the only target. Throw in the lack of decent pass protection and the numbers for everyone go down. Even the mighty Gronk struggled in that situation.

If it does happen that Amendola wants the Pats to live by his last restructure and they dump him, I think they and many of the fans here will regret that move. He made some big time plays at clutch moments that may not be replaceable.

There's also a real possibility that Edelman may not come back at the same level.

Amendola zero returns for TD.. Martin has two, both punt returns.

Martin has the better KR avg, but Amendola has the better P/R avg.

Amendola 30 yrs old, Martin 26 yrs old

Martin was 26 two days ago, Amendola turns 31 in November. #context

Currently Amendola 6.8m or Martin 1.2m cap hit.
Martin has proved in the playoffs? Absolutely nothing.
Amendola has proved in the playoffs? Clutch.

I would rather he restructure again rather than get outright cut. That said, the Pats have put together a very redundant threesome of WR's. Sure, Hogan can line up at the X but he's also very capable out of the slot and brings many of the same skills to the position that both Edelman and Amendola do. Plus he's not nearly as injury prone. But I would prefer to keep Amendola in the fold because we're still not sure what Edelman's foot is going to be capable of next season and the Patriots need that quick outlet for their passing attack to work. I just don't want to keep him at the salary he's getting paid. Now, all that being said, if the league sees fit to reinstate Gordon and the Browns put him up on the trade block, I would expect Amendola to get cut in a heart beat and for the team to aggressively pursue Gordon.
I'd think last year showed pretty effectively that a redundant group of three would be absolutely perfect. Especially when they can all shift positions pretty readily.

At least until Goodell suspends Gordon for taking some aspirin:rolleyes:
If Gordon came to the Pats, Goodell would certainly suspend him for -something-.

Martin has proved in the playoffs? Absolutely nothing.
Amendola has proved in the playoffs? Clutch.

Amendola in this years playoffs was far from clutch. Its why he isn't worth the money and why everyone wants his cap hit cut to half or more.
Martin though had the longest reception by a Patriot in this years playoffs which isn't saying much. Anyway the comparison you replied to was about the return game. Amendola does not provide much more in this area that cannot be covered by a considerably cheaper guy.

I think the following observations are both fair and compatible:

1. The Patriots are currently a team with 4 'viable' WRs (Edelman, Hogan, Martin, Amendola), but only one legitimate top 2 WR (Edelman)
  2. The Patriots have room on the roster for one more WR before Amendola's spot really becomes an issue
  3. Amendola's been a pretty big disappointment, but he's been a nice player when fully healthy
  4. Amendola's been a disappointment precisely because he is who most of us thought he was
  5. Amendola's a nice insurance policy/WR4, but simply cannot be relied upon as a core guy
  6. Amendola's knowledge of the system is a plus factor
  7. The team just signed a guy who should be capable of filling a fair amount of Amendola's role
  8. If the team can't find a true middle-deep threat, there's really no need to ditch Amendola
  9. Given the presence of Edelman and Hogan, Amendola's money would be better spent if the team could use it on a true middle-deep threat
  10. Amendola's not being paid crazy money
  11. The team currently does not need Amendola's money

Looking at it that way, I don't see any current need for the Amendola domino to fall, unless the Patriots bring in 2 WRs who are clearly going to make the roster and, if they do that, at least one of the two needs to be a legit field stretching middle-deep threat.

Nice analysis.

Just to stimulate discussion a bit, if I was going to add a "12." it would be that "he will turn 31 in November". That doesn't mean that BB will move on from him this year (I expect some type of salary reduction, although perhaps not as low as the $2.5M figure some opine). However, BB has moved on from smallish quick-twitch receivers when they hit 31-32 before (see: Welker, Wes), so it wouldn't be too shocking if they move on after this year, if not before.

I'd think last year showed pretty effectively that a redundant group of three would be absolutely perfect. Especially when they can all shift positions pretty readily.

In an offense, you ultimately want to make opposing defenses have to account for as much field as possible. The redundancy is more or less in place, at least IMO, to safeguard against an injury epidemic that we saw last season. But, ultimately, this offense still needs a guy that can hit outside the numbers and in the intermediate and deep parts of the field. Otherwise we will continue to see really tight throwing windows which, against the best defenses in the league (like the ones we will see in the postseason) could potentially be a recipe for disaster. So, if the team is going to restructure or cut Amendola (should he refuse a restructure) for a guy like that, then I'm all for it.

Gordon's a superstar and Amendola's a good but injury-prone player. I'd take one over the other any day. But there's also no reason to think that Gordon makes Amendola a must-cut, either. Gordon's contract isn't exactly prohibitive. And other than Gordon, there's really no one available who's nearly as good as Amendola right now.

I really want Gordon, but I would legitimately feel bad for sending Amendola to Cleveland

Amendola in this years playoffs was far from clutch. Its why he isn't worth the money and why everyone wants his cap hit cut to half or more.
Martin though had the longest reception by a Patriot in this years playoffs which isn't saying much. Anyway the comparison you replied to was about the return game. Amendola does not provide much more in this area that cannot be covered by a considerably cheaper guy.

Who is this everyone person you're speaking for?

When the Pats needed a reliable punt returner they turned to Amendola. They did that for a reason.

Speaking of reliable, since Amendola has been here he has played in more games than Edelman has in the same time.

And since we're talking reliable, it was Amendola who made some of the key receptions and runs after the catch that helped win us our 4th SB.

Here's how I see it. The Pats decided to lure Amendola here with a lucrative contract. They then decided to ask him to restructure very soon after he arrived, which he did. Now some of the fans here want him to reduce his salary again so the Pats can pay a new WR more? No wonder top FA's don't want to come here. The contracts they sign here might as well be written on wet toilet paper.

Gordon's a superstar and Amendola's a good but injury-prone player. I'd take one over the other any day. But there's also no reason to think that Gordon makes Amendola a must-cut, either. Gordon's contract isn't exactly prohibitive. And other than Gordon, there's really no one available who's nearly as good as Amendola right now.

Amendola is actually allowed to play in the NFL and that's kind of important.

Martevious Bryant, sign the beast......

Gordon's applied for reinstatement. It wouldn't surprise me if something shakes loose (not necessarily involving the Patriots, although I'd love to see him as this team's middle-deep threat) after that gets resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes