PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting development on the Jimmy G front

I'm thinking Gilmore for Jimmy g and a 2nd. That's my guess.
I can see trading Gilmore, but not if they are bringing Garrapolo back. If Newton or another scrub is QB then they won’t be a contender, so getting a pick for a player whose contract is up soon makes sense, but the point of bringing Garrapolo back is to contend, in which case you strengthen your roster, you don’t deplete it.

Its pretty clear the niners are not enamored with Jimmy G. you dont call around for every QB is you like "your guy" and there is no way they are paying $20million next year for Bridgewater and $25million for Jimmy G. even this years $17million is high for a backup. Its a matter of time before Jimmy G is gone. problem is, the way his contract is structured they can cut him next year with an even lower cap hit. So they can ride with him for another year if they want to let a rookie learn or wait for somenone else to break free.

so, while he likely will be available at some point it may not be until 2022.

the issue is, the niners need to find someone before they move on from Jimmy. Hes good enough where they arent going to jettison him without having someone else. This may take awhile, up to the draft. The patriots NEED to find a QB before then, they cant wait.

Last edited:
I can see trading Gilmore, but not if they are bringing Garrapolo back. If Newton or another scrub is QB then they won’t be a contender, so getting a pick for a player whose contract is up soon makes sense, but the point of bringing Garrapolo back is to contend, in which case you strengthen your roster, you don’t deplete it.
Gilmore will be demanding more money, BB likes to trade players a year before they drop off. It's a contract year, makes sense to trade Gilmore.

Gilmore will be demanding more money, BB likes to trade players a year before they drop off. It's a contract year, makes sense to trade Gilmore.
A contract year is historically the year you keep them.
Gilmore is on board at a really cheap price. Makes no sense to weaken the team and give away a player who will almost surely outperform his cost.

Gilmore is on board at a really cheap price. Makes no sense to weaken the team and give away a player who will almost surely outperform his cost.
Gilmore held out until he got a raise last season, he will do it again. And that cap hit for other teams, they might be willing to pay more.

I doubt he plays for us if we do that. Best to try to trade him. My own take is just extend him for a couple of more years. I don't understand why we want to move off of him. He is our only elite player.

Chris Simms (Kyle Shanahan's best friend) expects Garoppolo back but considers Darnold an option:

Joe Montana says Garoppolo is overpaid and that he'd want the 49ers to build around a cheaper rookie instead:

Cousin Toys, its Uncle Triumph.

Youre spot on the money. May I add that Mitch was not injured for 7 of those 14 missed games due to Nicky Foles stinking the field up. Granted, Mitch earned the benching and when he returned behind Center, his play improved. Chicago had OL issues early on, but eventually figured out a starting OL lineup and better blocking scheme.

The Bears run game got better and Mitch got better.

3 boxes check off for Mitch in NE.

1 NE typically has a stellar OL.
2 NE has a top tier run game.
3 Mitch is surprisingly mobile. He can take off and pick up a 1st no problem. His speed is deceiving.

Mitch "He's a bum" Trubisky

Cousin:
Pretty sporty in the past with the games on the line. Can Josh coach him up to be consistant?
DW Toys

5 Fourth Quarter Comebacks, 7 Game-Winning Drives​

RkYearG#DateAgeTmOppResultCmpAttCmp%YdsTDIntRateY/AAY/AAttYdsY/ATDNotes
1201762017-10-1523-056CHI@BALW 27-2481650.001131094.07.068.314328.000GWD
2201832018-09-2324-034CHI@ARIW 16-14243568.572200173.56.295.00284.0004QC / GWD
32018142018-12-1624-118CHIGNBW 24-17202871.4323520120.48.399.823165.330GWD
4201922019-09-1525-026CHI@DENW 16-14162759.261200070.04.444.44188.0004QC / GWD
52019122019-11-2825-100CHI@DETW 24-20293876.3233831118.18.899.29441.0004QC / GWD
62019162019-12-2925-131CHI@MINW 21-19263770.272070084.05.595.59210.5004QC / GWD
7202012020-09-1326-024CHI@DETW 27-23203655.5624230104.26.728.393268.6704QC / GWD

So they should bring in a QB good enough to be a contender and then get rid of their best defensive player? That makes no sense to me. Now if Brissett or Newton are the QB then it makes complete sense.

Gilmore held out until he got a raise last season, he will do it again. And that cap hit for other teams, they might be willing to pay more.
He did not hold out.

I doubt he plays for us if we do that. Best to try to trade him. My own take is just extend him for a couple of more years. I don't understand why we want to move off of him. He is our only elite player.
What’s he going to do? Sit out not get paid, get a year older and still be under the same contract in 2022? That makes no sense.

The article makes it clear that the 49ers are only looking at him as a possible back up to Jimmy G.

Again, I don't think Jimmy is going anywhere.
The 49ers can't afford to pay $17 million for a backup to Jimmy G who makes $26.4 million. This is a clear sign they're considering cutting Garropolo and drafting a rookie QB to sit behind Bridgewater for a year or two, They can get both for Garoppolo's 2021 salary.

You read it wrong. It would be niners gets Gilmore, pats get niners 2nd and Jimmy g
Still not interested, even though that's a better trade. Jimmy went out his 2nd game with the Pats and has missed half his games with the 49rs. I would rather have Gilmore and Cousins level play at QB.

The 49ers can't afford to pay $17 million for a backup to Jimmy G who makes $26.4 million. This is a clear sign they're considering cutting Garropolo and drafting a rookie QB to sit behind Bridgewater for a year or two, They can get both for Garoppolo's 2021 salary.
With regards to the 49ers cap situation, keep an eye on Dee Ford.

Still not interested, even though that's a better trade. Jimmy went out his 2nd game with the Pats and has missed half his games with the 49rs. I would rather have Gilmore and Cousins level play at QB.
Heh. Sounds just good enough for 8-8. Really, though, if they were going to trade Gilmore, the time to do it was last year. It was pretty clear that this team was cheeks by the trade deadline. If they’re going to try to be competitive, trading him this season makes no sense at all. Especially for a QB like JAG who is basically a lock to miss roughly half the games the team will play.

They need to cut bait on that guy.
9ers have a lot of free agents. They only have about 30 players under contract that really are legit players.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back