PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting development on the Jimmy G front

tenor.gif

The article makes it clear that the 49ers are only looking at him as a possible back up to Jimmy G.

Again, I don't think Jimmy is going anywhere.

I think BB doesn’t want to do this with a rookie.
I could be wrong but the fact that Bill has kept such close ties with Jimmy I think as long as it’s not a Godfather offer.
I think BB is trying to Bring Jimmy G home.
My guess would be Gilmore and our 4th.
Yes we are overpaying but this is BBS chosen one.

49ers are not happy with Jimmy. Or at least not satisfied. Supposedly Shanahan isn't happy with Jimmy. The games he's missed and lack of progress.

I would trade our 3rd comp. I wouldn't hate it. He's limited but capable of getting hot or being good enough if he stays healthy.

Can't imagine they bring in Bridgewater at that number if he is going to be a backup.

Also reports of the Packers, Niners and Cardinals calling about Gilmore.
Would only make sense that Gilmore is involved in any hypothetical Jimmy G trade.
If we can get Pitts or Waddle at 15 and get Jimmy G that would be the start of something.

Can't imagine they bring in Bridgewater at that number if he is going to be a backup.
My guess is they plan on trading Bridgewater and trading up for Lance.
Lance is perfect for Shannys offense.
Would love Lance here, however I think with the style of offense we use It only makes sense BB would prefer someone who has a background in that offense.
Let’s be clear we can more games with Jimmy than we can with Cam.

Disagree, Bridgewater has a 22 mil cap hit. Jimmy G has a 25 mil cap hit. No way they spend 50 mil cap on QBs.

Bridgewater has a $17 million base. That would be what the 49ers would have on their salary cap. The rest is dead bonus money which doesn't get traded. The 49ers could convert all or part of his base salary into a bonus and reduce the cap significantly.

Last edited:
I think BB doesn’t want to do this with a rookie.
I could be wrong but the fact that Bill has kept such close ties with Jimmy I think as long as it’s not a Godfather offer.
I think BB is trying to Bring Jimmy G home.
My guess would be Gilmore and our 4th.
Yes we are overpaying but this is BBS chosen one.

If he was the chosen one, why did BB trade him off the team once already? It's not like he was married to the idea of keeping TB12 forever, as we've sadly learned.

I don't doubt that BB originally had some huge plans for Jimmy and expected a lot of his career. I just suspect those plans and expectations changed a long time ago.

• Agree
Reactions: SNL
Disagree, Bridgewater has a 22 mil cap hit. Jimmy G has a 25 mil cap hit. No way they spend 50 mil cap on QBs.

If he is traded his cap hit in 2021 his cap hit would be $17 (Panthers are still on the hook for 10 million in signing bonus), all his other bonuese are tied to playing time.

This would be a one year rental, nobody is paying him his $20 million base salary in 2022.

Granted its alot for a back-up, I think the Panthers are trying desperatley to get out from under this contract, so they may sweeten the pot.

I wouldn't be suprised if he is cut if the Panthers pull off a move for a better QB.

If he is traded his cap hit in 2021 his cap hit would be $17 (Panthers are still on the hook for 10 million in signing bonus), all his other bonuese are tied to playing time.

This would be a one year rental, nobody is paying him his $20 million base salary in 2022.

Granted its alot for a back-up, I think the Panthers are trying desperatley to get out from under this contract, so they may sweeten the pot.

I wouldn't be suprised if he is cut if the Panthers pull off a move for a better QB.
Rumors on Twitter seem to make it seem like they will go all out for Watson.

If he was the chosen one, why did BB trade him off the team once already? It's not like he was married to the idea of keeping TB12 forever, as we've sadly learned.

I don't doubt that BB originally had some huge plans for Jimmy and expected a lot of his career. I just suspect those plans and expectations changed a long time ago.
I’m starting to believe the narrative that Kraft had stopped BB from trading the .
Lombardi is on record that both him and Bill thought Tom had regressed which is why they drafted Jimmy G.

Lombardi is on record that both Bill and him thought Tom’s mental clock had slowed down and his arm was getting weaker.
They thought he was on the downside of his career.
My guess is that the report Kraft stopped the trade to San Fran could be very accurate.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back