PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting development on the Jimmy G front

With regards to the 49ers cap situation, keep an eye on Dee Ford.
You're right. He's only got $11 million guaranteed for 2021 and no guarantees for the last two years of his deal. He's precisely the kind of player on whom Belichick would take a chance. At 30, he has a couple of good years left and would add a lot to the pass rush and run defense.

Heh. Sounds just good enough for 8-8. Really, though, if they were going to trade Gilmore, the time to do it was last year. It was pretty clear that this team was cheeks by the trade deadline. If they’re going to try to be competitive, trading him this season makes no sense at all. Especially for a QB like JAG who is basically a lock to miss roughly half the games the team will play.
Interestingly enough, the play that took Jimmy out where a lineman fell on him while he was sideways injuring his shoulder, TB12 had the exact same thing happen and bounced up from it like it was nothing

Heh. Sounds just good enough for 8-8. Really, though, if they were going to trade Gilmore, the time to do it was last year. It was pretty clear that this team was cheeks by the trade deadline. If they’re going to try to be competitive, trading him this season makes no sense at all. Especially for a QB like JAG who is basically a lock to miss roughly half the games the team will play.
And it’s a 9 million dead money hit if they trade him. Let him play out his deal and test the market then

I would be ok with Mitch as long as they procured a top rookie QB in the draft.
This. If we pick up any of these other stiffs there has to be a rookie waiting in the wings. I’ll eat another year of Cam for beer money if our QB of the future is on the 53. Mitch’s arm is definitely better and he’s an upgrade to Cam if the money is reasonable.

This. If we pick up any of these other stiffs there has to be a rookie waiting in the wings. I’ll eat another year of Cam for beer money if our QB of the future is on the 53. Mitch’s arm is definitely better and he’s an upgrade to Cam if the money is reasonable.

Is Trubisky going to be available though? Or like Jimmy G are we guessing he may be

Which probably makes him less attractive to BB, since he'd come at the possible cost of a 3rd round Comp pick.

Whereas, if Mariota is released, or Jimmy is traded...

I was a fan of Garoppolo's but he's just not reliable enough with his injury history.

I haven't been a big fan of Trubisky's but he'd be an improvement over Cant Newton and maybe he could improve here.

Are there any other QBs that might be available?

Which probably makes him less attractive to BB, since he'd come at the possible cost of a 3rd round Comp pick.

That is a good point.
So Mariotta for a 5th is better value.

Educate me - the team signing the player is responsible for the comp pick?

I thought those picks were awarded from the league at the end of round 3?!

If you sign a Free Agent, it counts against the compensatory formula. So signing a Trubisky for say $15m would cancel the pick you'd get for Thuney or whomever.

Signing released players doesn't count against the formula, and of course, trading for a player makes the compensation negotiable.

At least, I think I've got that right - someone else might be able to better explain it.

That's fine. I think we all know that but what's Plan B? And how long do we wait and pray for Jimmy to shake lose and leave ourselves with no viable alternative? I would rather us be aggressive and just get the guy early in free agency even if it is our second choice otherwise we are stuck with Cam again.

OTC does a great job of tracking the comp picks.

The quick rules are there are only 32 comp picks issued each year, never more and never less. A Team may only be awarded a maximum of 4 comp picks (regardless of how many UFA they lost).

They break down UFA signings by the average yearly earnings of the contracts they sign and assign a round to the money from the 3rd round to the 7th round.

A team must lose more UFA than they sign. This is a link to OTC cancellation chart from last offseason and their predictions for the upcoming comp picks.

Compensatory Draft Picks Cancellation Chart | Over the Cap

So Brady nets the Pats a 3rd,

Van Noy and Collins both net 4th round picks

The loss of Shelton is cancelled out by the signing of Phillips

The loss of Karras is cancelled out by great signing of Beau Allen (Allen is lower than Phillips because even though his salary was more, his playing time in 2020 was zero (compared to Phillips)

Roberts and Ebner do not garner a pick because their average salaries are too low to be among the top 32 comp picks issued.

Keep in mind that these are just estimates by OTC the real picks usually come out around the combine, but since their is no combine, who knows when the will appear. Thier is a chance if Allen's contract is further devalued to a 7th round pick, then the Pats would receive an additional 6th round pick (because Allen's contract would then cancel out the loss of Ebner and not Karras, so the Pats would get a 6th rd pick for losing Karras.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back