PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting Article: Lack of empathy contributes to lack of success for NFL teams.

I don’t but what the author is selling, that keeping Rodgers “in the loop” would have made any difference on that fateful night of the 2020 draft.

Rodgers is the type who goes out of his way to be pissy. He was going to pissy at the Love selection no matter what.
True. Also wouldn't consider keeping people in the loop to be "empathy".. Rogers would likely try to veto the pick and then if that failed he would have gotten pissed off. All these NFL QBs have a huge ego. They need it to do their job.

When you think about it like that - GB management action seems understandable. Are they going to run every decision by every player in an 'empathetic" world? Does your RT get to know you are drafting another RT? If not, why not? Are you playing favorites? How would that work with team morale.

Likewise those contracts like Rodney Harrison and Dillon were not empathetic. They were bets. They were betting hey in our system you will be productive again especially if signed at a nice price. If they didn't think that - they wouldn't sign them at all. Nothing to do with empathy.. If it was empathy they would give a contract to some homeless guy across the street.

Its weird they put so much time and effort into a suspect premise. It's well written and took a ton of time. But seems pretty suspect. I can only guess they have some weird ulterior motive - presumably to get people to use more empathy? Not sure - I don't get it.

True. Also wouldn't consider keeping people in the loop to be "empathy".. Rogers would likely try to veto the pick and then if that failed he would have gotten pissed off. All these NFL QBs have a huge ego. They need it to do their job.

When you think about it like that - GB management action seems understandable. Are they going to run every decision by every player in an 'empathetic" world? Does your RT get to know you are drafting another RT? If not, why not? Are you playing favorites? How would that work with team morale.

Likewise those contracts like Rodney Harrison and Dillon were not empathetic. They were bets. They were betting hey in our system you will be productive again especially if signed at a nice price. If they didn't think that - they wouldn't sign them at all. Nothing to do with empathy.. If it was empathy they would give a contract to some homeless guy across the street.

Its weird they put so much time and effort into a suspect premise. It's well written and took a ton of time. But seems pretty suspect. I can only guess they have some weird ulterior motive - presumably to get people to use more empathy? Not sure - I don't get it.
I empathize.

It was just a joke. "Empathy" vs "who cares"(no empathy) kind of thing. Sorry. :-(

What’s the difference between apathy and empathy?

Could also say “what’s the difference between ignorance and apathy?”
For anti-vaxxers, nothing.

Damn it, I went there. Bye, bye dear thread. You were so special.

what is this...a friggin' Dr Phil show now? A guy COACHES....other guys play and do what the coach wants...the only communication that's important is being instructed as to what you did right or wrong...you wanna get all touchy feely get yourself a lap dog...krist
The article was not good, but it's not something surprising, either, given the climate of the times.

what is this...a friggin' Dr Phil show now? A guy COACHES....other guys play and do what the coach wants...the only communication that's important is being instructed as to what you did right or wrong...you wanna get all touchy feely get yourself a lap dog...krist
I guess Sandusky had empathy then.

Seinfeld used to call his tv show a " show about nothing". I wasted my time reading the entire article and I still don't know what his point was. An article about nothing. It was like watching a slow- developing convoluted football play that never developed.

Making a bet and being empathic aren't mutually exclusive. How did the bet come about in the first place? Empathy: the ability to understand and share the feelings of another. Like a lot of people, I'm sure BB uses it (a lot) for the dark side at times. All part of the chess match.

The problem with Rodgers was that management should've known by now that he's a toddler. They should've read something like How to Talk to Kids so Kids will Listen & How to Listen So Kids Will Talk. "Listen little A-A, a little brother is coming, and it's gonna take a lot of attention from the Daddies. Remember that we love you just as much as before. How do you feel about this?" I think there would've been fewer tantrums, but still a fair amount because he's still a developing boy.

Making a bet and being empathic aren't mutually exclusive. How did the bet come about in the first place? Empathy: the ability to understand and share the feelings of another. Like a lot of people, I'm sure BB uses it (a lot) for the dark side at times. All part of the chess match.

The problem with Rodgers was that management should've known by now that he's a toddler. They should've read something like How to Talk to Kids so Kids will Listen & How to Listen So Kids Will Talk. "Listen little A-A, a little brother is coming, and it's gonna take a lot of attention from the Daddies. Remember that we love you just as much as before. How do you feel about this?" I think there would've been fewer tantrums, but still a fair amount because he's still a developing boy.
No real evidence that it would play out like that.

Rogers point is that drafting a backup QB for the future weakens the current team he is trying to win with. They could instead draft a defensive player, offensive lineman etc - but they choose to spend it on some guy that will do nothing for the team in the next couple of years. So he is pissed.

Whether you inform him or not - act empathetic or not - he is still going to be pissed off. Guy felt he was close to a championship and they blow draft capital on a mediocre QB prospect..

Again empathy doesn't seem to be the problem here - and while empathy and betting are not mutually exclusive - its quite possible that the Rodney Harrison situation and the Rodgers situation have absolutely nothing to do with empathy. The first one was a bet on Rodney and the second one - was a stupid decision that the star QB didn't like..

Whether you give him hugs or not - its not going to make a difference IMHO. Likewise Cam is going to be unhappy with being cut no matter how empathetic Bill acts..

It's not surprising that this thread consists of meatheads posting variations on NO HOMO over and over.

That said, Rodgers is a bad example to lead off with because he's a prima donna drama whore who has to be appeased to keep him from sabotaging the team. You don't need empathy with him, you need either accept kissing his ass as the cost of doing business or punt him. There's nothing in-between with people like him.

It's not surprising that this thread consists of meatheads posting variations on NO HOMO over and over.

That said, Rodgers is a bad example to lead off with because he's a prima donna drama whore who has to be appeased to keep him from sabotaging the team. You don't need empathy with him, you need either accept kissing his ass as the cost of doing business or punt him. There's nothing in-between with people like him.
So, NO HOMO but YES WHORE?

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back