PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting Article: Lack of empathy contributes to lack of success for NFL teams.

Seems pretty suspect this theory.

Sure GB didn't placate Rogers - that is his main example. I wouldn't call that "empathy" per se - but it's the best example they have I guess. Its more of a failure to soothe his ego..

But when you end up signing guys for emotional reasons - like because it will play well in the locker room - you can invest a lot of money in substandard players.

You can cherry pick examples where it works out - but there plenty of times where it fails badly. In the NBA the Kemba Walker fiasco.. for example. BB is famous for cutting guys lose - Cam Newton is just the latest example.. He cut both Milloy and Law..

You can't please everyone all the time - you are going to have to cut some people and refuse to overpay others if you want to win. I don't think empathy is the hidden secret in football. The greatest coach ever is basically seen as the least empathetic person to ever live. LOL.

Small potatoes in relation to cap management. Feelings mean **** compared to millions of dollars and heaps of money soothes egos.
And yet, as the article points out- we gave 1.5m to Rodney Harrison with no strings attached. That was small potatoes even in those days but did wonders and paid major dividends.

Sometimes small, human gestures do go a long way.

But but...the Pats don't have any fun?

well written article. however it seems like dimitroff is trying to make a point. also, pointing to cleveland and indy as the good examples, well, would have been cooler to call out franchises that have won rings.

Makes the argument that a lack of empathy and communication skills plays a major role in wrecking an NFL franchise.

Empathy being one of 15 emotional skills, and one of the more pivotal one, this makes sense.
It won't get much traction here because most football fans, like most Americans, think of emotion as seperate from cognitive function, when in reality is initiaties and governs cognitive function.

@Wozzy "Cap management" is all about emotion - impulse control, self awareness, assertiveness, independence, reality testing, flexibility - all emotional muscles.

Thanks. Good article. Pretty standard and universally applicable workplace stuff, though. Even though some are a stretch, I do like the examples. [Edit - I must say starting off with Rodgers of all people to make this point was a terrible idea. Also got reminded of the DWatson coach and/or gm search.]

"Former NFL executives had similar examples. Pioli brought up a contract the Patriots gave running back Corey Dillon after the 2004 season, which ended in a Super Bowl win. Dillon rushed for 1,635 yards that year, and Pioli and the Patriots brass knew they were buying high on a running back entering his age-31 season. Still, Pioli, vice president of player personnel at the time, says he was confident that rewarding Dillon would play well in the locker room. Another example Pioli gave was Rodney Harrison.

Harrison signed a six-year deal with the Patriots in 2003 after being cut by the Chargers. Harrison was coming off an injury and wanted to go to a good team, so he took a below-market offer from New England.

“He came in and had an incredible year, immediate captain, helped the locker room on a level I can’t even articulate,” Pioli says.

After that season, the Patriots felt the disparity in Harrison’s value and what he was earning was so pronounced it could wind up causing tension between the team and a key player. Standard operating procedure around the league in such cases was to offer an extension that came with more money in exchange for more years, but the Patriots wanted to do something different in Harrison’s case. They gave Harrison a raise of $1.5 million—no strings attached.
“We’re getting a bargain that’s off the charts right now, but let’s just do something that’s going to be a little bit closer to fair market,” Pioli says. “We’re still going to be winning. We don’t need to be pigs and win in a landslide.”

When Pioli told Harrison about the raise, Harrison initially didn’t believe it came without a catch. When Pioli finally convinced him, Harrison got emotional.

“What he became as a leader after that was even more exponential,” Pioli says."

I know he doesn't play one on TV, but BB seems to be pretty darn empathetic: (Not from the article but just after defending Carroll and co after their big loss: "I know they are disappointed, as we've been in that spot a couple times ourselves. So the high that we feel is probably not as high as the low that they feel. But that's a really good football team.")

Makes the argument that a lack of empathy and communication skills plays a major role in wrecking an NFL franchise.

Ummm.. The Patriots were the most successful dynasty of all time. No one ever claimed BB was overly empathetic. Empathy doesn't automatically lead to good productive communication. In fact, empathy can sometimes be a wall. We can have trouble being honest with people we care about.

Communication is a key aspect, relationships are a key aspect. You want to foster good and productive verions of boths. But they aren't automatically the most important things.

And yet, as the article points out- we gave 1.5m to Rodney Harrison with no strings attached. That was small potatoes even in those days but did wonders and paid major dividends.

Sometimes small, human gestures do go a long way.
Didn’t I just say money soothes wounded egos? 1.5 million would make me feel better.

Who cares?

The author, who took the time to put together this extremely thoughtful and well-written article, and the NFL staffers who were interviewed in the process, including Dimitroff & Pioli.

If the subject doesn't interest you, so be it, and I'm not saying I necessarily agree with everything that was written, but there's no need to dismiss the thread or the article. There's a lot of interesting and thought provoking stuff in there.

The author, who took the time to put together this extremely thoughtful and well-written article, and the NFL staffers who were interviewed in the process, including Dimitroff & Pioli.

If the subject doesn't interest you, so be it, and I'm not saying I necessarily agree with everything that was written, but there's no need to dismiss the thread or the article. There's a lot of interesting and thought provoking stuff in there.
It was just a joke. "Empathy" vs "who cares"(no empathy) kind of thing. Sorry. :-(

It was just a joke. "Empathy" vs "who cares"(no empathy) kind of thing. Sorry. :-(
That joke was so bad, I may place you on my ignore list.

I think they are close, but that the real difference is communication as a whole. If you run a team in 2021 you have a finite amount of practices and a finite amount of those are padded. To adequately prepare for the season, you need to maximize your time. NE communicates the practice components and arrives on the field prepared. Players get here and marcel at the efficiency and preparation.

Then, when it comes time to move on from a player, the communication is respectful. BB never bashes a player on the way out. Many have returned. And that communication of respect leads to winning. Chung, KVN, Branch… they all returned to contribute. Even the ones who do not return (Seymour/Moss) who might have been salty at the point of departure, don’t hold animosity. It helps. He’s leaving his options open.

In game, the adjustments are made. They are communicated in a way that the player can change things and excel.

what is this...a friggin' Dr Phil show now? A guy COACHES....other guys play and do what the coach wants...the only communication that's important is being instructed as to what you did right or wrong...you wanna get all touchy feely get yourself a lap dog...krist

what is this...a friggin' Dr Phil show now? A guy COACHES....other guys play and do what the coach wants...the only communication that's important is being instructed as to what you did right or wrong...you wanna get all touchy feely get yourself a lap dog...krist
1631967805602.jpeg

I don’t buy what the author is selling, that keeping Rodgers “in the loop” would have made any difference on that fateful night of the 2020 draft.

Rodgers is the type who goes out of his way to be pissy. He was going to pissy at the Love selection no matter what.

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back