PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Inside the most dysfunctional Pats season under BB

I don’t see where you’re getting that. 8 picks, 1 more than standard. No extra picks in rds 1-3.

View attachment 49619

Plus 3 compensatory picks.

Using the updated Rich Hill model, this year we have 607 points of draft capital vs only 327 last year:
last year:
So this year we should be around 8th best capital vs middle-of-road 16th last year

And a LT... and a RT... and a 3rd-Down RB... and a QB...
LT and RT are the 2 biggest needs. Molehill Brown was a liability last season. Unless he decides to actually play football this year. I don't see it. You can't depend on him. He was terrible,especially all the penalties.
Would be awesome if they could sign Orlando Brown but seriously doubt they'll spend the $. And draft a rt in the 1st round- unless one of those top wrs falls to #14

How much talent can you buy w/ $32M? More importantly, will they even try?
Now you are just messing with people, right? Do you really think they won't try to get better?

What makes you think they won't try to improve the team or are you thinking they won't do it the way you want?
Just the way its been done in the past. I can only hope they go big & by that I mean go after true elite FAs and not just guys like Agholour, Mills or Godchaux.

See above post.
Okay, but if they do something different than you propose, that doesn't mean they aren't trying. It just means you don't like it. You can say anything you want about BB, but one thing you can't say is that he won't try. The guy has spent over 40 years dedicated to the game he loves, and you think he won't try?

Okay, but if they do something different than you propose, that doesn't mean they aren't trying. It just means you don't like it. You can say anything you want about BB, but one thing you can't say is that he won't try. The guy has spent over 40 years dedicated to the game he loves, and you think he won't try?
I'm specifically talking about bringing in talent vs jags. The dudes that cost money. We need weaponz.

weaponz-bill-belichick.gif

Sure but the Bills already have a lot of talent. Pats aren't an OC away from being at the Bills level, or KC or Bengals, etc. Saints aren't going anywhere. Just by replacing Lombardi at OC w/ Moore, Chargers got way better. They already had the talent. We need talent. How much talent can you buy w/ $32M? More importantly, will they even try?

I said playoff team not necessarily super bowl team. If 2021 is the base you are a wildcard team if everyone just returns to what they were under McDaniels no improvements.

I still think patriots biggest need is a #1 receiver and obviously OL. Not those turned the eagles into Superbowl contenders. People last year were talking about if Hurts even is the guy and eagles were supposedly looking to get rid of him. They get AJ brown now he's super bowl bound.

LT and RT are the 2 biggest needs. Molehill Brown was a liability last season. Unless he decides to actually play football this year. I don't see it. You can't depend on him. He was terrible,especially all the penalties.
Would be awesome if they could sign Orlando Brown but seriously doubt they'll spend the $. And draft a rt in the 1st round- unless one of those top wrs falls to #14
LT and RT are the 2 biggest needs but draft a WR in R1, #14? That was a big change from paragraph 1 to 2.

LT and RT are the 2 biggest needs but draft a WR in R1, #14? That was a big change from paragraph 1 to 2.
It's all based on whos available. OT is a bigger need than wr,but wr is also a big need. So you take the best player at a position of need. But if a stud player whos not necessarily a big need falls to you and hes by far the best player available- you always take him. BB and most successful coaches have done that forever

I'm specifically talking about bringing in talent vs jags. The dudes that cost money. We need weaponz.

View attachment 49650
Who are the free agents that are talent and who cost money this offseason? It sounds like the free agent OTs aren't great, nor are the free agent WRs. I'm 100% for trading picks for established talent, but it takes two sides to get that done.

It's all based on whos available. OT is a bigger need than wr,but wr is also a big need. So you take the best player at a position of need. But if a stud player whos not necessarily a big need falls to you and hes by far the best player available- you always take him. BB and most successful coaches have done that forever

Long way to go still in the draft process, but as of today the only WR I would strongly consider at #14 is the TCU kid Quentin Johnston; if Jaxon Smith the Ninja tests really well then he'll be in my thoughts also...

This looks like a good year to draft a CB in round 1; it would be hilarious if Bill grabbed Joey Porter Jr ahead of the Squealers at #17...

And if they're convinced that Broderick Jones can stay at Left Tackle in the NFL, then he's another possibility...

I'm hoping that at least two of those top three needs - Left Tackle, CB1, WR - can be filled to a satisfactory degree before the draft; then Bill can choose somebody from that third position with his first pick without worrying about bypassing talent at the other two...

Long way to go still in the draft process, but as of today the only WR I would strongly consider at #14 is the TCU kid Quentin Johnston; if Jaxon Smith the Ninja tests really well then he'll be in my thoughts also...

This looks like a good year to draft a CB in round 1; it would be hilarious if Bill grabbed Joey Porter Jr ahead of the Squealers at #17...

And if they're convinced that Broderick Jones can stay at Left Tackle in the NFL, then he's another possibility...

I'm hoping that at least two of those top three needs - Left Tackle, CB1, WR - can be filled to a satisfactory degree before the draft; then Bill can choose somebody from that third position with his first pick without worrying about bypassing talent at the other two...

Great post. I hope for Payne at DT in FA, 13 sacks last year, can you imagine Payne and Barmore getting 20 sacks together up the middle? OMG the QBs would be running wide into Judon or Uche arms, or dumping off to the outlet early. Which leads to Tremaine Edwards to be signed in FA next to Bentley to cover the dump off pass (and fcuk with Buffalo who has no cap space). Side benefit is that Tavai is on the bench - hopefully he is holding Myles Bryant's hand on the bench.

There are no reasonable WRs in FA except Myers who I think will be way over priced. There are a bunch of RTs, but no-one at LT except Orlando Brown who is too expensive. Looks like a good draft for free safeties, so I think we need two OTs, CB (hopefully #14), WR and FS in the draft. Free safety could be FA too.

Maybe a CB #1 in FA, but I am the gambling type and I would sign Payne and Edmunds and a RT (maybe Jon Jones but let Myers go), and hope we hit on CB, OT1, WR1, WR2, OT2, and FS in the first 4 rounds. Our scouting seems better the last few years so I am hopeful we can scout well for the 2023 draft.

Quenton Johnston = N’keal Harry pt 2

Great post. I hope for Payne at DT in FA, 13 sacks last year, can you imagine Payne and Barmore getting 20 sacks together up the middle? OMG the QBs would be running wide into Judon or Uche arms, or dumping off to the outlet early. Which leads to Tremaine Edwards to be signed in FA next to Bentley to cover the dump off pass (and fcuk with Buffalo who has no cap space). Side benefit is that Tavai is on the bench - hopefully he is holding Myles Bryant's hand on the bench.

There are no reasonable WRs in FA except Myers who I think will be way over priced. There are a bunch of RTs, but no-one at LT except Orlando Brown who is too expensive. Looks like a good draft for free safeties, so I think we need two OTs, CB (hopefully #14), WR and FS in the draft. Free safety could be FA too.

Maybe a CB #1 in FA, but I am the gambling type and I would sign Payne and Edmunds and a RT (maybe Jon Jones but let Myers go), and hope we hit on CB, OT1, WR1, WR2, OT2, and FS in the first 4 rounds. Our scouting seems better the last few years so I am hopeful we can scout well for the 2023 draft.

If I had to choose among Neither Jon Jones nor Meyers will be re-signed; Both will be re-signed; or Only One will be... I would choose Only One, just a feeling... And whom they re-sign will affect nearly every other move during free agency, and at which positions... Could mean an either/or situation with targets like Payne & Edmunds too... I'd also like to see them force Trent Brown to "restructure" his contract before the new league year, because they can save over $10M by cutting his fat, dumb, lazy ass so they're holding all the cards...

Quenton Johnston = N’keal Harry pt 2

That's certainly a possibility... He's not playing in the Senior Bowl vs live competition, so we'll have to look at his college tape to match with his future testing numbers... One thing I will say however: he has more shake & bake than Kneal, Harry had that's for sure.

If I had to choose among Neither Jon Jones nor Meyers will be re-signed; Both will be re-signed; or Only One will be... I would choose Only One, just a feeling... And whom they re-sign will affect nearly every other move during free agency, and at which positions... Could mean an either/or situation with targets like Payne & Edmunds too... I'd also like to see them force Trent Brown to "restructure" his contract before the new league year, because they can save over $10M by cutting his fat, dumb, lazy ass so they're holding all the cards...

Let's hope Trent Brown is released. Is he any better at RT then Cajuste or McDermott? McDermott was on the JETE practice squad before he looked good for the Patriots. How pathetic is that? We need JETE's practice squad members to look half good. Let Trent Brown go, sign a free agent RT (there are a bunch of RT free agents), and draft a left tackle in the 2nd round (after a CB #1 at #14, but I agree if we get a great trade down in the 1st round that might make sense but not if we miss on a CB #1).

Is O'Brien working with Bill or for Bill? Hmm
IMO if it‘s ever a question whether someone is working with or for a boss the answer is simple. In that case they’re working for, and too inexperienced and junior to know how to work with their boss. By the time they’re experienced and senior enough they’ve learned when and how to work for the boss without compromising their ability to work with the boss the rest of the time. Of course that’s a nuance that only makes sense when you’re in the latter category.

Just the way its been done in the past. I can only hope they go big & by that I mean go after true elite FAs and not just guys like Agholour, Mills or Godchaux.
I Like Godchaux and Mills and especially Mills plays above his contact value i think. Not every position can be filled with elite FAs. Teams need good foundational players too. Having Mills on the team isn't the issue it's that we haven't enough elite talent on the team overall. Agholor was just confusing.

IMO if it‘s ever a question whether someone is working with or for a boss the answer is simple. In that case they’re working for, and too inexperienced and junior to know how to work with their boss. By the time they’re experienced and senior enough they’ve learned when and how to work for the boss without compromising their ability to work with the boss the rest of the time. Of course that’s a nuance that only makes sense when you’re in the latter category.

Bill isn't an offensive guy. He's a defensive coach. That's why the offense was still poor when Bill had to essentially call plays sometimes because Patricia and Judge we're so bad.

The offense works best when Bill concedes that side of the ball to the experts and he can focus on the defense and the little things on special teams etc. So let BOB handle what he does best and Bill can handle what he does best.

I think he was spread too thin last year. Which could be why we see lack of discipline

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back