PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Inside the most dysfunctional Pats season under BB

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score

Except, none of the assistants had coached a Shanahan-style system before, like the Rams’, be it under McVay or any other disciple of Mike Shanahan, the namesake of the NFL’s most popular offense. The staff’s lack of understanding became a frequent source of frustration in meetings, when players with experience in Shanahan systems, of which there were at least a half-dozen, would raise questions about how to solve defenses they had faced with other teams.

“A lot of guys would ask, ‘Well, what’s going to happen if (the defense) does this?’ And you would see they hadn’t really accounted for that yet,” one source said. “And they’d say, ‘We’ll get to that when we get to that.’ That type of attitude got us in trouble.”

Says it all. Not the kind of thing you’d expect to hear from a BB coached team.

but over nine months, the relationships and processes underpinning the offense became so strained they engendered internal doubt about the greatest coach of all time.

“It’s always been about winning and doing what’s best for the team. I really believe (Belichick) when he says that,” one source said. “I just think he really didn’t understand how hard it was going to be.”

Or, in the words of another source: “I love coach (Belichick), but he f—ed us.”

Reading this article makes me think 8-9 was a pretty decent record. It should have been a lot worse.

I just read this. It was worse than we ever thought. They didn't install play action passes which is why they didn't use them, didn't have answers for how defenses would defend their offense. Judge acting like he's "the guy" and pissing everyone off. Confusing the offensive line with a new system.

From this though it does sound like Patricia and Judge might be out for good.

But at the end of the day this was Bill Belicheck decision. The media said what he was doing didn't make sense. But he snorted and scoffed at them. And here we are a year later with a lost season

After reading what it said about that first Buffalo game I’m surprised Patricia wasn’t fired after the game. I’ve never heard of a NFL coach scared of another team like that. Remarkable.

Last edited:
After reading what it said about that first Buffalo game I’m surprised Patricia wasn’t fired after the game. I’ve never heard of a NFL coach scared of another team like that. Remarkable,

Yeah that's bad. What struck me most is players asking Patricia how to adjust if defenses defend a play a certain way and then saying "well figure it out"

Or just not practicing play action protections until the last game. Our OL literally had no practice which is why we didn't use it.

NO practice with protections for play action! That's bad. Coaches get fired for this.

But I'm sure some will say this was Bills genius plan so he could wait to hire BOB

Says it all. Not the kind of thing you’d expect to hear from a BB coached team.
A caller on the Felger/Maz show recently pointed out that something like 11 of the 13 (his numbers) junior coaches on the staff had an average of 3.7 yrs of NFL experience and NE was the only team they ever worked for.

If even half of that article is true, what a cluster hump the offense was behind the scenes... We saw it play out, but the levels of sheer incompetence is astounding...

It's no wonder the pats front office has been so vocal/ transparent this off season... Not letting this crap happen again...

Can we please kick judge to the curb, and at a minimum move Patricia to a spot where he can't do any more harm?

If this is even 50% true, what a clown show.
The Kraft family must be having some difficult conversations.
Clearly, to reset the culture, Judge and Patricia have to go. They've blown their credibility with the players, and anyone who supports keeping them in the coaching room and on the field in any capacity will lose equal credibility.
There's still a lot of offensive coaching slots to fill before this thing is settled.
At least it sounds like Jones performed well when the offense was given even a smidgeon of scheme and play calling diversity.

Last edited:
So Mac disliked Judge… who it appears was quietly demoted during the season leaving Mac without a QB coach I guess.

And going to Zappe in the Bears game was running a preplanned rotation and that pissed off the players. Nice.

What a mess. Fix it BB and BOB.

I don't know how anyone is willing to give up on Mac with all this evidence that the coaching stuff was a complete **** show.

BB's big mistake was choosing two coaches who cannot function unless they are the experts in the room. Neither had the ability to figure everything out before engaging the players. MP and especially JJ seem like they function as dictators who can't work with their players as a partnership. They should both lose their jobs for this reason, not that they were not successful with a new system.

BB's big mistake was choosing two coaches who cannot function unless they are the experts in the room. Neither had the ability to figure everything out before engaging the players. MP and especially JJ seem like they function as dictators who can't work with their players as a partnership. They should both lose their jobs for this reason, not that they were not successful with a new system.
Yup. Guess they didn’t learn a thing from being shown the door by the Giants/Lions.

10-7 with McD as OC the year before with not really a better roster, i would even say the 2022 roster was better, makes me think that talent isn't anything, coaching matters more than i thought to put players in position to succeed

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back